Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Altadan

Re: Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

Post by Altadan »

Great review, and excellent photos :)
What did you use to shoot it?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Thanks! All pics were taken with an iPhone 6 and minor exposure and curves adjustments on PS Express app. I’m too lazy to bust out my real camera, but the principles are the same when using an iPhone...it’s all about lighting and exposure.
--- Steve
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Thanks for your thoughts, Bob and Steve. They match my own.

I laughed when I read the results of the tomato parlor trick, Steve. I always do it with new knives. The Yoshimi grabs onto food like a jealous lover. And it does not let go!

The stickage was actually worse when I first got it. I rubbed with a sponge and it died down a bit. But there is a trade off.

I probably like gaudier knives more than some, but I do wish the Damascus wasn’t brought right down to the edge.

As for lasers, I am not sure anything beats the Shibata. It did make me cringe on crusty steak, but otherwise it has aced every other ingredient.
Jeffry B
easilver

Post by easilver »

Received the knife from pd7077. My first impression is how gorgeous the Damascus pattern is. Usually the lighting and camera makes Damascus look more glorious, but this knife looks as good as the photographs. Knife came sharp and fell through newspaper across the entire edge.

From the photographs, I expected this to be like my Syousin Suminagashi R2 Shiro Kamo knife. But, the Yoshimi is very different—Lighter, thinner, shorter in height, and the Damascus on the Yoshimi is much fancier. The crisscross Damascus pattern is like the Masakage Shimo, which I really like.

The secondary bevel seems a bit steep. You can see it in the pictures where the Damascus pattern is straight instead of crisscross. It might be an optical illusion since nobody has reported wedging.

Looking forward to trying it this weekend. The Matsubara January hosted pass-around knife arrives today, so I’ll be able to try them both. What fun!
Last edited by easilver on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed in L.A.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Oh, it wedges, Ed. It wedges. Whether it's the second bevel or the drag from the pattern I am not sure. But I did have to use more force to cut thru an onion. Whereas my Shibata AS just slips thru like it's cutting thru air.
Jeffry B
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I think the resistance that I felt was more from the Damascus than the grind. I say this because I tried cutting carrots and potatoes with the tip, and I felt the same type of resistance as the mid section and heel.
--- Steve
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have to second that, I think its the coating not the damascus but im still a noob...
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Received this knife today and wow is it gorgeous. Really nice handle too.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Definitely one of the best looking knives I've handled. Cuts well, but not as well as it looks.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

On it's way to George.
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

Arrived safe and sound yesterday. She is pretty!!!
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

This beauty now on her way to David. She will be missed.
Great knife!
J david

Post by J david »

Sorry for keeping this one for so long, but it's been a crazy week and I have not been able to use it much. I would like to give it a good workout this weekend and send it on its way Monday if there are no objections. Otherwise I can send it out in the morning.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Go ahead JD. Ww all have plenty of toys to play with.
Jeffry B
J david

Post by J david »

Heading Dan's way today. Review coming soon.
J david

Post by J david »

Well, this is an interesting knife. I think many of my thoughts mirror those already mentioned in the other reviews, but I'll throw them out there anyway.

This is a good looking knife. Many would think it's a great looking knife, but my tastes lean toward humble and non-flashy. Still, this one is easy for me to enjoy aestheticly. The damascus is very attractive and the handle goes with the blade nicely.

The profile is good for my preference and the grind is very well done. I spent some time examining the grind. It is dead flat and raises and thins beautifully toward the tip. It is pretty thin behind the edge and should perform with the best.......except it doesn't. I think I have to agree with others in that the etched finish is holding the full potential of the knife back. It is sticky going through product, even using its reasonably thin tip. It did do some things very well, like peeling this melon.
The tip was quite sticky through onion, which is a deal breaker for me in a gyuto. It looked good doing it, though.

I don't really have much to say on the steel. I've not used SG2 before and the knife arrived with a descent edge. I did very little to touch it up and did not have the opportunity to use it enough to comment in edge retention.

In the end, I think the knife has potential to be a top performer. If it were mine, I would polish it to remove the texture left from the etch and use fingerstones to bring back some contrast in the cladding. The knife felt good in the hand and certainly looks great. If you are the type of person who has no problem personalizing a knife by polishing and such, this would be a good one to tinker with to try to bring around it's full potential. If you value aesthetics over performance, again, this is your knife. If you are looking for out of the box performance, there are many others I would recommend over the Yoshimi.

Thanks for the opportunity to use this knife.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

I have one of these knives and can agree with the stated problem of the stickiness caused by the finish of the knife. What's the best way to get of or polish the finish or make it have less drag? Is there a way to still keep some of the beauty of the finish? I have some MX pads as an option or several different sizes of CBN paste/spray.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Damn, you take some great pictures, JD.

R2/SG2 steel retention is that good, by the way.
Jeffry B
J david

Post by J david »

Eversor13 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:00 pm I have one of these knives and can agree with the stated problem of the stickiness caused by the finish of the knife. What's the best way to get of or polish the finish or make it have less drag? Is there a way to still keep some of the beauty of the finish? I have some MX pads as an option or several different sizes of CBN paste/spray.
I would give it a sandpaper progression to about 2k and then give it a fingerstones polish. The contrast should still be there but it will be more subdued.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

This morning I went down to the post office to ship out the Matsubara B#2 210, only to pick up this Yoshimi Kato :)

Box came in good condition, and so did the knife.
Good edge, and boy, is that blade beautiful! from handle to tip, it's an eye-catch.

It got worked into a lunch prep with onion, butternut squash, and eggplant.
More on that later
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld