Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Eversor13

Re: Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

Post by Eversor13 »

I ended up removing the finish on the knife using a 400 grit and 800 grit mx pad, and as expected, it works much better. Before removing the finish I had to use a rather forceful push cut to get the knife through a halved apple (terrible....). After removing it, the knife crisply chops (with a slight pull) through a halved apple. Still not as amazing as some other knives I have, but much much better. Here are some pictures of the before and after if anyone was wondering what it looks like (these were taken before the 800 grit step, but the knife looked roughly the same after that step). Definitely not as striking but at least the knife is actually usable. Anything to do to bring back some of the finish? I would be fine with how it is, but I might as well ask.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

What happened to this knife, haven't heard anything in two weeks?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Dan sent it to Raleighcook15 and it was delivered yesterday.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Ok y'all,

I apologize for the delay in making any squeaks here. I've been enjoying some Spring break, and finally getting some real work done, while at the same time receiving one knife after another (sometimes on TOP of another). Hence, I've been delayed in putting down any of my thoughts. Plus, on most of these passarounds so many thoughtful reviews have already been written, that my experience has little more to add.

That being said, here are my two cents.
The Yoshimi Kato is in some ways a SUPERBLY crafted knife. Its aesthetics, as many have already pointed out, are exceptional. It's fit and finish add and complete that package beautifully with an eased choil and spine.
YoshimiSG2f.JPG
[Back: Yoshimi SG2 Frong: Tanaka B#2]

The profile of the Yoshimi SG2 is very versatile and easy to use in just about any task that would justify a 240. Feeling it on the board and (especially) looking at it from the side, I find it is very similar to that of my Tanaka B#2.

The differences, of course, are myriad; Where the Tanaka is much, much thicker at the heel and spine, giving more confidence in a pinch grip, the Yoshimi is thinner from heel to tip throughout, giving a off nimbleness on every turn.
The Yoshimi is also considerably lighter (at least than my K&S Tanaka's handle), and just generally feels dangerous.
The Yoshimi, for all its craftsmanship, is also stainless, which is a boon when it comes to leaving it on the board (man, how easy it is to forget I was used to all my knives being stainless!).

YoshimiSG2b.JPG
[the Yoshimi SG2 is just peeking its hump-back behind the front part of this Tanaka B#2. The edges themselves have an almost identical profile]
YoshimiSG2g.JPG
[Top: Yoshimi SG2 Bottom: Tanaka B#2]
YoshimiSG2c.JPG
As for the Damascus finish, the notorious Damascus finish... well, it's been said before. I didn't fully believe it, mind you, till I got my own hands on her. I thought the folks around here just might be exaggerating. Maybe after having tried so many amazing blades, I thought, maybe they've just had smoother cutter's than this one... but no. As soon as I got the Yoshimi it had an onion lying on the board before it, waiting for those 5oz of Japanese powdered steel to cut across it, and... ugh. It would barely complete the horizontal cut :|

Vertically it did well on the onion. It was phenomenal on tomatoes (thanks to the edge I got with it!)
It did well enough on the butternut squash too... Other veggies (Golden pots, sweet-pots, carrots, cucs), and meat, all cut beautifully, no trouble whatsoever.
I did struggle on the purple cabbage, though.

[if you can suffer to watch me cut a butternut squash in order to see - maybe even listen - to the knife in action, then go ahead]

https://youtu.be/fy3qTUB-mG4

On the 6k stone the SG2 is really quite nice, I must say. This was my first time, and it responds very quickly.
The blade itself had a certain ring to it that was not unpleasing, and so I am not sure what it is that people feel when they talk about R2 blades (in general, not this one specifically) being "dead" or without soul.

In any case, what can I say?
I wish we could have a word or response from Yoshimi Kata San himself :| I thought a lot about this knife, and its value, and I think that if I had a friend who was in no way a cooking enthusiast, nor did his wife watch any CGaurin videos for kicks and giggles, and those two enjoyed "nice things," and would like to have a pretty, hand-crafted kitchen knife, that would (of course) be stainless, then maybe this would be it. The Yoshimi SG2 has all the form, and though it has PLENTY of function, it is hard to place it on such a large menu as CKTG's and not find plenty of contenders that simply cut in that mind-blowing manner people talk about after using a JK for the first time.

The report about being able to buff off some of the etching, and thus enhancing the knife's performance are... well, exciting from a "sharpening advice" perspective, but I certainly couldn't afford myself such a nice knife and then fiddle with it like that. Then again, I'm really a novice, so I'm no saying "no," just "no thanks :) "

Jeffry, this beauty was a pleasure to have in the house. A real eye-catcher for friends, too.
The purchase-passaround-auction idea, in my humble opinion, is fantastic. Thank you for that!
Looking forward to seeing what else will be said, and ultimately done, with this one :D

Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Received the knife safely. Ill be putting it threw some more tests this week. So far ive cut chives (which it did beautifully) and cut sunchokes. The sunchokes were interesting. In the past I feel they would wedge and break. I've actually had the best success using a small serrated blade when I had to small dice them. This knife however was so thin it sliced with no wedging. However, as said already, it would stick.

Beautiful knife.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Didnt get to play with it too much as I had a death in the family. It is however on its way to Rob! Ill send him tracking today or tomorrow.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

raleighcook15 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:58 am Didnt get to play with it too much as I had a death in the family. It is however on its way to Rob! Ill send him tracking today or tomorrow.
Sorry to hear.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Now we are down to Rob and Ramon (cutuu). Long passaround! Next one I host will probably be kept to 9 or 10.

Just as a reminder, still a few participation fees outstanding (You're good, Spence). Long passaround initiated during busy holiday season makes it easy to forget!
Jeffry B
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Tracking says rob should receive it today!

Also thanks Ben, this knife did resonate with me much. It certainly was beautiful but sricking through product drove me nuts. Time is so important in a pro kitchen that this guy stayed tucked away.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Hey. Knife arrived today. All is well. Only comment so far is it's a looker for sure. The damascus pops, the wood was pretty and all of the transitions seemed nice and smooth. Snow day today I'll get a chance to play with it.

Note to Jeffry... Checking now to see if I paid up.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Quick update as I used this knife to throw together a rough chicken stew last evening.

It's still cool looking eye candy and it had a very pleasant feel on the board. Remarkably so and I'm not sure why that is. It also must have a pretty nice grind because it performed ok until I got to my carrots. That's despite the fact.....

It's in need of some really serious edge maintenance. Dullest thing that's been in my kitchen since I was asked to assist a nephew with grammar and composition... But he caught on eventually.... hopefully the knife will sharpen up as well.

Prior to receiving I deliberately avoided any notice of this knife's pricepoint. While using it -- and expecting it to improve after a good session on the stones -- I was thinking it belonged in a class with the Doi, my Kikuichi damascus, perhaps a step or two up from my Anryu - Lo and behold that's right where it's slotted.

Nice knife, nice job.

Let's see how it does with some stickier ingredients and some finer dicing after a session on the stones.....
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Hi.... so I was able to get a little bit more board time in with this knife after a very cursory pass over a 3K stone. It somehow manages to convey power (force?) to the cutting motion which is nice. The stiction wasn't too gosh-awful bad. The edge on the other hand really still needs some work.

I'm hoping to get a little bit more time with her later this week, and I"m going to ask the participants behind me if they'd mind if I hung onto her for a few extra days so I can give her a proper sharpening. My road was fully paved with good intentions but the holidays got in the way along with --- a new puppy --- hands full? Ha. Forget about it.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Rob is going to keep the Yoshi a bit longer. Only participant left in the pass is Cutuu.
Jeffry B
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:21 am Hi.... so I was able to get a little bit more board time in with this knife after a very cursory pass over a 3K stone. It somehow manages to convey power (force?) to the cutting motion which is nice. The stiction wasn't too gosh-awful bad. The edge on the other hand really still needs some work.

I'm hoping to get a little bit more time with her later this week, and I"m going to ask the participants behind me if they'd mind if I hung onto her for a few extra days so I can give her a proper sharpening. My road was fully paved with good intentions but the holidays got in the way along with --- a new puppy --- hands full? Ha. Forget about it.
Pics of pup or no deal !
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

raleighcook15 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:21 am Hi.... so I was able to get a little bit more board time in with this knife after a very cursory pass over a 3K stone. It somehow manages to convey power (force?) to the cutting motion which is nice. The stiction wasn't too gosh-awful bad. The edge on the other hand really still needs some work.

Pics of pup or no deal !
Awww... OK twist my arm. She's a cutie...

raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Beautiful pup!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

She's something, this one! What's her name?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Rob don't send it to me I'm out of town.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Finally got this one back to conclude the passaround.

Rob was the last one to use and he gave it a full progression. Much to my surprise, most of the stickage from my first use is gone. Not sure if it's because of Rob's excellent sharpening job or just plenty of use.

The knife is still not a carrot slayer, but it performs more like a laser now.

I am going to list this soon at $210. If anyone from the passaround wants this, PM me. Passaround users would get an additional 5% discount.

The knife still looks brand new - great job passaround users!
Jeffry B