Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
jbart65

Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

Post by jbart65 »

Here’s my idea. Tell me if you think it is nuts.

I propose I buy the 240 version of the knife ($300). I would then ask 10 people to PayPal me $10. Each participant get 7-10 days with the knife starting with me. We all pay for shipping to the next person.

At the end of the passaround, I auction it. If any participant wants it, make your best offer ranging from $150 to $200. Just one offer. If no one wants, I keep or sell in the classifieds. I am willing to risk the money upfront because I can afford to.

If 10 people are game I'd be happy to do. Who knows, maybe it could be a future model.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Re: Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

Post by Altadan »

Game on. :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one struck by that knife's looks.
Would be more than glad to "rent" one and feel what these Kato folks forge and craft.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Im in. That one is too gorgeous to pass up. Thanks for the initiative. Hope it works!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I like the idea a lot. $10 is less than someone would lose in buying the knife to try and then selling it on the secondary market. This particular knife doesn't interest me, but I would consider participating in another or buying the knife myself.
J david

Post by J david »

I would be in as well.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Count me in
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Jeffery, I am not interested in this knife, but I love this idea! I hope it is successful, and catches on for future offerings! Really, as Lepus said, it is a great deal, and I feel it would even be a good deal at a higher price (personally, I would not hesitate at $20 rental for a knife that really excited or interested me)>

Carol :)
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've been thinking about some kind of passaround model that spreads the risk, Carol.

I know we'd all love for Mark to send every new brand or knife on passaround, but he can't afford to keep the cash locked up and risk more loss of value if a knife is damaged.

I am open to other ideas and certainly other knives if there's more appetite for trying this model.

The Takayuki AS Kengata, Sukenari AS Hairline 240 and Yoshimitu AS or Blue come to mind.

As for the model I suggested for the Yoshimi, here's my thinking.

I figure $10 is about as much as most people would pay to try a knife. Factor in shipping and that's another $10 to $15. Well, $20 to $25 is no small sum.

Participants could save $3-5 by not insuring so long as they assume the risk if a knife is damaged en route.

Anyway, I'd want the participants basically to cover one-third of the full purchase of a knife.

The cheaper the knife, the less the initial participant fee. The Yoshimi is $300, thus $10 per 10 participants (nine plus me; I'd be effectively kicking in a participant fee as well).

The Takayuki Kengata is $225. So $7.50 for participating.

The premise for a participation fee is of course to spread risk. At the end of a passaround, I would action the knife to passaround users first. I'd put it in the classifieds if there were no takers.

I assume buyers would be more interested in a passaround knife and all that entails - I would inspect the knife first - if they could buy for 33% off list price. But there's also the risk to me that it would not sell or only sell very cheaply.

Let's say we did a Yoshimi passaround. Everyone kicks in 10, including me. Then I auction the knife off but the top bid is just $175.

Well, I paid $300 for the knife. Got $90 back thru nine other participants and another $175 thru the sale. I'd be losing $35 ($300-$265) plus shipping fee.

I'd actually be fine with that up to a handful of times a year if there was a lot of stuff I want to try. I have a big and discrete knife fund, and like Mark, I don't buy much else for myself these days. I've already got most of the things.

If anyone has ideas for a model that reduces a participation fee without me assuming even more risk, throw it out there.

For example, let's say the fee were reduced to $5. I pay $300 for the Yoshi, get $50 back and auction the knife at the end of the passaround.

If someone offered $250, great. My costs are covered. But if's it less, I'd probably want every participant to kick back a few more dollars to me to partly cover my loss.

As an example, let's stipulate that my maximum loss acceptance number is $35 per knife. The $300 Yoshimi after passaround fetches just $200 in an auction among participants. I am thus losing $50 - or $15 above my limit.

As a result, every participant would sends me an extra fee rounded up the nearest dollar.

In this example, its' $2. (15 divided by 9 equals $1.67, rounded up to $2). The ultimate cost to participants is $7 plus shipping. Roughly $17.

I am willing to try the cheaper model once to see how it works. $5 per participant and a maximum of $5 more if my loss is higher than expected.

At least nine participants and no more than 15. The more participants, the less my risk and more of these passarounds I am willing to take the lead on.
Jeffry B
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

i am in too
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

That is six people, including me. We'd need four more.
Jeffry B
timos

Post by timos »

I am not in but this is a really neat idea
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
easilver

Post by easilver »

I'm in! The Yoshimi SG2 reminds me of a less-tall Syouisin Kamo, which is one of my favorite knives.

I'd also be happy to host such a JB-style pass-around once this first one gets fully attended.
Ed in L.A.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

20-25$ to try a high end knife isn't bad imo. I wouldn't do it more than a couple times per year, as that would be using funds that could have just purchased the knife over the course of a year, maybe even more knives. Participating in passarounds on other people's knives and putting insurance on it isn't that much less to begin with. I think I've sent knives to the next person for arouns15-18$ before. I'm fine with that. If at the end I can purchase the knife if I really like it at a decent price and the original purchaser doesn't lose money on the investment then that's a win win for everyone. I always assume that I will lose $ when buying a knife that I know I probably will sell, that's the way it goes. I don't necessarily like that either, but that's the only way for me to keep trying new knives. Even starting a passaround costs the owner money just to send it out for people to try. It's a very generous notion and I'd think covering the owners costs is more than fair for people to be able to try others knives. Might only work for higher end knives...I personally wouldn't put 1/4 of the cost or more into trying a knife. I'd just save up to get that one, but paying 25$ to try a $300 knife is plenty worth it if the participant is interested enough. I'd sure as hell do it to try the Takayuki Ginsan ;) I hope my houghts make sense here. It's still early in my time zone
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

We can do this test run with three more people. I am thinking $8 for participation instead of $10 to see how it works.

If there are any other knives that interest people more, throw it out there.
Jeffry B
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Count me in. I'm cool with $10 or whatever you decide is best for the group.
--- Steve
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Perhaps if this were a Shig, Carter or Devin knife that was innovative, I could see interest. But 25 bucks to use a new pre lam Kamo knife for a week isn’t in the cards. Too much anymore it seems that knives are just the same thing with a different name and lamination. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever may come of this.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Why jump in on this thread and knock a knife if you aren't interested? It does seem to be a habit of yours, chicagohawkie. Sometimes I think you ought to change your screen name to Eeyore.

I find no fault with your preferences or your position. It's a reasonable view that you've made quite clear in a number of your posts. In this case I find it gratuitous. Don't want to participate, fine. Let the rest of us wallow blissfully in our lack of love for innovation ...
Jeffry B
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Ha ha! Maybe I should have just said your nuts! Perhaps I’ve been around here too long. I’ll leave all this to you new kids.
easilver

Post by easilver »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 am If there are any other knives that interest people more, throw it out there.
Can we get more participants if we do the 210 version instead of the 240?
Ed in L.A.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

easilver wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 pm
jbart65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 am If there are any other knives that interest people more, throw it out there.
Can we get more participants if we do the 210 version instead of the 240?
I would entertain the idea.