Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
jbart65

Re: Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

Post by jbart65 »

easilver wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 pm
jbart65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 am If there are any other knives that interest people more, throw it out there.
Can we get more participants if we do the 210 version instead of the 240?
I am open to anything. Whatever we "new kids" decide. Well, except for a Shig or some such. Too damn expensive (-:
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:35 am Ha ha! Maybe I should have just said your nuts! Perhaps I’ve been around here too long. I’ll leave all this to you new kids.
Feel free to put a Shig out for passaround. Teach us "new kids" a thing or two. :o
Jeffry B
J david

Post by J david »

easilver wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 pm
jbart65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 am If there are any other knives that interest people more, throw it out there.
Can we get more participants if we do the 210 version instead of the 240?
If it is a 210, I'm out. I've never connected with a 210.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I would prefer the 240 as well. Being listed at 5.5 oz, the 240 is already outside of my ideal weight, but I'm willing to give it a try as it might change my mind on the more laserish knives.
--- Steve
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Jeffery, I do really like the model, I feel it is a great idea! I agree 100% with what Spence said, too. :)

I would hope that any knife that so many people were interested in trying would bring at least 2/3 of the original cost when resold.

You might have trouble getting more money out of people after the fact, though. ;)

Good luck with this PA! :)
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I prefer a 240 as well. It would tell me much about the 210, too. But I just want to be open to any ideas.

Two more people and it's a go. We'll just leave the offer up. Perhaps I will create a few more threads for other knives. First one to get 10 participants is the first passaround-plus that gets set in motion.
Jeffry B
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

Yes, I prefer the 240mm version of it too.
Thank you again for taking the initiative on this one JB!
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’d throw ten bucks in for a yoshimitsu AS.. no one talks about them.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:41 am I’d throw ten bucks in for a yoshimitsu AS.. no one talks about them.
I only noticed those - and their price - after Jeffry mentioned them here :v
Their Aogami little brothers are much more humbly priced, and better covered by site-reviews... edit: actually, not really
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

If it hits nine and stalls I will pitch in to try it.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I will set up one of these threads for the Yoshimitsu over the next few days.

The more people that participate, the less it will cost. For most knives I figure I can get this down to $7 or $8, maybe even a bit less.

Aim is to have the participation fee cover 1/3 the cost of a knife so it can sell quickly after the passaround. I don't mind taking a small hit several times a year. But just a small one.
Jeffry B
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Lol Lepus! This is too good of a idea to not happen so Ill pay 20 and count as the ninth person. While im a 180-210 person I want to see this knife because I always considered getting a Takamura damascus which is twice as much but looks like this.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:16 pm Lol Lepus! This is too good of a idea to not happen so Ill pay 20 and count as the ninth person. While im a 180-210 person I want to see this knife because I always considered getting a Takamura damascus which is twice as much but looks like this.
I know, how come their price point jumps so dramatically?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Thats a good question, https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura6.html vs damascus https://www.mtckitchen.com/takamura-gyu ... 210mm-8-2/for over twice the amount.
The Yoshimi looks as nice as their Takamura (I havent seen either but going by the pix)
Last edited by Bob Z on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Exactly. I think the yoshimi looks much better!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Well, if Bob pays basically for two spots and Lepus joins we can get started. I like your idea that this could be a "Knife of the Month" type of thing.

If the knife sells for enough after the passaround via participant auction or on CKTG classifieds, I can kick back $10 to you, Bob, and anything leftover to Rob for helping us getting this passaround idea over the top.

The knife will go to you second, Bob, and then follow a largely geographic route. I only need about 3-4 days to learn what I need to learn about a knife

I think you are right about the max on participants, Bob. I decided 11 max, 10 plus the host, in this case me.

If this works, I am happy to do half a dozen or even more of these a year. Easilver is also interested in hosting a passaround to see how it works.

I am happy to sponsor anything that gets enough interest - 240s, 210s, 180 pettys, santokus, nakiris, sujis, 150 petties, bunkas. I'll start this one at $10 apiece and try to reduce the buy-in a few bucks if I can for future hosted passarounds.

I'll write up some rules and post later. These are expensive items and some acceptance of liability is necessary.

Once we get confirmation this is a good, everyone should PM me their info in the following format so I can cut and paste into a master file

CKTG user name
Real name
Address
Sharpening level: (A+,A, B, C)

Your sharpening evaluation will help me determine the order of the passaround. I'd want the second user to be an A-plus sharpener ideally in case the knife needs a full progression, as many often do.

Some knives I would feel comfortable doing, others not so much.
Jeffry B
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Am I too late to join? Im down for 10$. I'm very strongly debating buying one anyways.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Great idea Jeff. I'm late to this thread but if there's still room I'm in.

In fact, it's such a good idea I'd be willing to help undewrite some of your backend risk and or split the load on the front end.

You're doing a good thing and helping. I'd like to help too.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Raleigh and Rob, the more the merrier. We can let Lepus back out now if you both join, and Bob, you'd only have to kick in $10.

Rob, thanks much for offering a stanchion. I am good for now. Want to see how it goes first. I'd like to reduce the initial participation fee in the future but that will depend.

If everyone PMs me their info, I can order the knife tomorrow.

Here are my proposes rules. Please offer suggestions for improvement or clarification and I can post as a separate thread.

Hosted Passaround Rules

TO JOIN

Pay up to a $10 fee per knife to participate. Or whatever fee equals one-third the cost of a new knife.

NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS

Maximum: 11; Minimum: 9.

USE OF THE KNIFE

Up to 10 days per person. Treat it as if you own it.

SHARPENING

Avoid full progressions unless the knife needs one and you are an A-level sharpener. Do touch up or strop before sending to the next person.

SHIPPING

Each participant is responsible for cost of shipping and insurance to the next user.

Forward the tracking number to the next user and post on the official CKTG thread to notify others of the knife’s status.

REVIEW

Each user is expected to write a one-paragraph review on the official thread.

LIABILITY

If the knife is damaged, a user is responsible for restoring to like-new condition. Arrange repair if necessary with A-level sharpeners and notify the passaround host and/or passaround thread.

If the knife cannot be restored, the passaround ends.

The responsible user must purchase the knife at list price minus his own participation fee and minus the fees of any other users who preceded him.

For example, user number 4 damages a $300 knife so that it's not restorable to its prior condition. He is required to buy the knife for $260. That is, $300 minus his own $10 fee and minus $30 since three other users already used the knife.

Users who did not get a chance to use the knife would be reimbursed their participation fee by the host.

KNIFE AUCTION

At the end of the passaround, the host will inspect the knife, inform others of its condition and post photos if necessary before an auction.

Participants will be asked to submit private bids for the knife via PM. The highest bid wins the knife.

If the highest auction bid is less than the cost of the knife minus the participation fees collected, the host has the option to list on the CKTG classifieds. The host would be responsible for any potential losses.

Participants are not obligated to buy a passaround knife.

END
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Ordered the knife this morn. Probably won't get till Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll use thru Saturday or Sunday and ship out to the next person.

Friend the $10 participant fee to me at

jbart65@gmail.com

If any knife sells well aboves list minus participation fees I will kick it back to users .
Jeffry B