Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Cutuu

Re: Yoshimi SG2 passaround idea

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 am Ordered the knife this morn. Probably won't get till Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll use thru Saturday or Sunday and ship out to the next person.

Friend the $10 participant fee to me at

jbart65@gmail.com

If any knife sells well aboves list minus participation fees I will kick it back to users .
This is a great innovative idea jbart! I dragged my feet about getting in on it and just when i was thinking about joining it filled up. Anyways, this idea has been somewhat thrown around a bit before, way to take the initiative to make it happen. My 2cents, in the future if u could get even more people that would reduce the risk and cost. Getting a $300 knive for $100 wouldnt bother me personally if it had some extra miles. Heck, some knives people sell for less of a discount theyve had for longer, with more miles. Just my opinion, great idea and execution!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

We do have an opening for one more person, Ramon. Just in case your feet are still untangled. (-:

We could reduce the upfront fee with up to 15 users, but it would take a long time for everyone to get a shot at it. I figure 11 is a good number, 12 if there is big demand. If things work well I will reduce the upfront fee in future hosted passarounds.

We also need to make sure most knives are still in excellent condition for resale. I figure a passaround knife in excellent condition could sell for up to two-thirds its list. Paying $200 for a really good $300 knife is a good deal. We'll see how it goes.
Jeffry B
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

What happens when 5 people want it for the $200? :lol:

Great work Jeffry!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:11 am What happens when 5 people want it for the $200? :lol:

Great work Jeffry!
That's when you pull the old eBay trick and snipe it at $201.03
--- Steve
slobound

Post by slobound »

Glad to see this one taking off! I think it's a great idea.
-- Garrick
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

pd7077 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:13 am
That's when you pull the old eBay trick and snipe it at $201.03
:lol:
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I already had a solution for that, Dave! (-:

The Yoshimi shipped via Fedex and I am supposed to get Saturday before Tapas Xmas eve. I''ll be moving it along shortly afterward.

Still one spot open if anyone wants to join.
Jeffry B
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 pm I already had a solution for that, Dave! (-:

The Yoshimi shipped via Fedex and I am supposed to get Saturday before Tapas Xmas eve. I''ll be moving it along shortly afterward.

Still one spot open if anyone wants to join.
What the heck I'll join. Hand forged laser looks interesting
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Excellent, Ramon.

Still waiting for a few more addresses. I've got yours, Ramon, but send me in the format I listed earlier so I can copy and paste into a master list. (see below for format again).

I just started playing with my new Shibata AS 240. Gonna be fun to see how the Yoshimi stacks up.

The Shibata is the thinnest knife, with the thinnest tip, I've used yet. The tip slices thinner or as thin as anything else I've encountered, including other tip favs such as the HD2, Masamoto KS, Koishi and Yahiko B#2 210. A true laser.

FORMAT

CKTG user name
Real name
Address
email ( Paypal)
Sharpening level: (A+,A, B+, B, C)

My Paypal (email) is: jbart65@gmail.com
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Yes, I've been wanting to hear more about that shibata AS. Thanks for doing this passaround.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

It’s arguably more laser-ish then the HD and perhaps even better performing, Spence. I am making matar paneer and chicken khadai tonight. it’s going to get it first real good workout.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

:o that sounds like a must try to me. Thanks J
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Got the knife today. Mighty pretty, that’s for sure. Some pics and brief comments tomorrow. Got a lot of holiday prep to do.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Only info I need is for Spence. Thanks gents. Knife is in my hands. It will be headed to the next person in a few days.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Yoshimi 240 first impressions

A beatiful knife. One of the most beautiful I have seen. Gorgeous damascus. Busy, though. Some people are not busybodies. Me? I like busy just fine if the performance is there.

I am normally a little put off by R2 steels. Sound a bit hollow or tinny on the cutting board. That was true of my Takamura, a bit less so for my Kurosaki. The Yoshimi seemed more normal. I still seemed to feel a slight sensation in the hand that powdered metals induce, but without a blind test I cannot be sure.

This knife is close to the CKTG specs on height and length, but it's nearly 6 oz and not 5.5 as listed. Feels more substantial than I expected being so thin. Some flex to the blade, but not a lot. The damascus seems to help stiffen the blade.

The downside of the damascus is immediately apparent, however. Stickage. Food definitely sticks more readily to this blade. The thinness reduces convexity and the Damascus grabs things.

The edge was as good as I've encountered OOB but the drag from the damascus offset part of the advantage of such a thin blade. Did the grape and cherry tomato tricks but moved both products in the process. I am going to rub lightly with a sponge to see if it reduces stickage.

Here some photoes. The knife itself (ignore the piece of cork). Side by side with the Shibata AS (right side). And with the Koishi, Shibata and Tanaka ginsan.

Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Yoshimi is in the mail. Bob Z is next. I sent the knife West and it will work its way back to the Midwest, South, mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

The better sharpeners are sprinkled throughout, but this knife probably won't need much work. I used it heavily over three days and stropped on 1 micron paste and balsa before shipping out. Still push cut paper easily.

I will pm the order list to everyone. I also included a printout of the passaround order in the shipping box. CKTG was kind enough to send a free velvet-lined knife guard. I put the knife in the guard for extra protection.

If this is a success and I host another passaround, the knife will go East Coast to West Coast.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Superb!
I hope it does. Looking forward to have the knife upon arrival here in the south, y'all
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I just received the knife from BobZ. The edge looks to be in great condition so I doubt that I will need to do anything to it, but I may do a few light passes on a Jnat at some point just to get an idea of how it feels on stones. I’m not usually a big fan of “in your face” Damascus patterns, but I can see how this one could be appealing to some. I’ll update once I’ve used her a bit.

--- Steve
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I'm a bit tardy or USPS a bit fast on this one I guess...I had the knife for about a week to play with and made a few meals with it, nothing taxing for a knife though.
Its a work of art and well made and the handle is very nice with a seamless join to the ferrule. I got the knife and it was sharp, and i just lightly stopped it on leather with some compound twice after making some stew.

Tip: Same thickness all the way to where the taper started about 3/4" from the tip
Fit and finish: are perfect as befits its price point
Wedging: Hardest thing I cut was large carrots and no wedging
Food Release: Average
Stiction: The gray coating on this knife appears to grab some ingredients especially onions but may get better with use.
Flex: With a knife this thin and long there was some flex but I dont think it could be helped.

I have to mention that it came with a Felt Knife Guard, which was thrown in by Mark. Its one of those things you might not buy cause you just dont know enough about it but the guard held the knife firmly and Ill be getting one with all my new purchases. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfekngu271.html
Attachments
P1070807.jpg
stew.jpg
IMG_1806.JPG
grinder.jpg
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I was able to give the knife a decent workout over the past few days. Nothing excessive and probably along the same lines as other what other home cooks would do on a regular basis. Overall, I think that it’s a pretty good knife for someone looking for a laser and wants the Damascus look. It’s sharp, it cuts well, and she’s gorgeous...but she still might not tickle everyone’s fancy. My interest in this knife was two-fold: I wanted to revisit lasers since all of my knives are in the middleweight to workhorse range, and I have never tried R2/SG2.

If you have this knife in your stable, it will likely be the one that will standout the most when guests come to admire your JK collection. She sports an ostentatious, gaudy, high contrast Damascus finish that, while attractive, doesn’t really suit my style. Fit & finish are what you would expect from the Echizen makers. While not fully rounded, the eased spine and choil were pretty comfy in hand. Some may not like the round choil/neck shape, but it is something that I have grown fond of.

The profile is nearly identical to my Koishi 240 (see jbart’s comparison photos in post above), which is perfect for my cutting style (mainly push cutting). The weight wasn’t quite as light as I expected, but she was still much lighter than what I’m used to. The grind is what I would expect from a laser, and the edge was extremely sharp. Performance was very good, but this is where I think the beautiful Damascus became hindrance. It grabbed and held onto everything. The whole freehand thin tomato slice parlor trick...the extremely sharp edge cut through the tomato with ease up until the point where the Damascus clinched onto the tomato and dragged it across the board. With just about every ingredient (except shorter things like garlic, green onions, etc), the edge would fall through the product with ease and then get held up once it hit the cladding. On the second picture I posted below, you can see that the etch goes all the way down to the edge bevel. The part that surprised me the most was the tip during horizontal cuts on onions & shallots. The tip on my Koishi is noticeably thicker, yet this laser tip couldn’t ghost through with the same effortlessness. I’m only the third person on this passaround so my hope is that continued use will smooth out the Damascus’ texture because I think that would bring out the knife’s full potential.

Aside from that, she really did perform well. In fact, this knife has changed my perception on lasers. This might not be the laser for me, but I will definitely be adding a laser to my 2018 list.

As for my first experience with SG2, I can’t say that it’s in the cards for me. While I didn’t experience that “deadness” that I have read others describe R2/SG2 as having, it also did not have that “liveliness” that I get from my carbons. Because the edge held up over the four days that I test drove her, I didn’t bother taking her to the stones. I’ll be sending the knife to easilver tomorrow.

I want to end by thanking Jeff for his willingness to go out on a limb with this passaround. It’s great to have great forum members like you in this community. Kudos to you my man!

--- Steve