January knife-of-the-month Passaround (Matsubara Blue #2)

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
easilver

January knife-of-the-month Passaround (Matsubara Blue #2)

Post by easilver »

Now that Jeffry started this new contribution-style passaround, let's see if we can keep this going. I'll be hosting this one:

I'm open to other suggestions, but I'd love to try the Matsubara B#2 210: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mabl2nagy21.html

I have the Tall Nakiri and the grind on these is wonderful. Thin behind the edge and a little extra height and weight. Plus, they look great.

$10/person. So, we'd need 7 people to cover 1/3 the cost of this knife. I'll buy it, pass around, then auction or sell. Unless we get better suggestions we'll use jBart's general guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4204

Who's in?
Ed in L.A.
MisoSatisfried

Re: January knife-of-the-month Passaround

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Oh man, this is tempting Ed! I've been eyeing the tall nakiri since it was released and either a 210 or 240.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I am in.
Jeffry B
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I'm game, too.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Count me in too
edit: easilver, you didnt happen to snag that Matsubara KS, did you? :P
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
easilver

Post by easilver »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 am Oh man, this is tempting Ed! I've been eyeing the tall nakiri since it was released and either a 210 or 240.
Mine was a minor revelation. Out of the box it seemed like a very good-looking cleaver. Taller and weightier than my Gyutos and my Takeda 210 Bunka. It felt so different.

But wow, does it cut well. The blade road is very steep and the core steel is great. Gets amazingly sharp, slips through onions and carrots due to the laser-like edge. It's become one of my favorite knives. I love the hand-made look of the knife also. The 210 gyuto has a Deba-like shape and looks like a fun knife. I hope we can get the 7 participants. So far we have

jBart65
Lepus
AltaDan
Ed in L.A.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

easilver wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 am
Mine was a minor revelation. Out of the box it seemed like a very good-looking cleaver. Taller and weightier than my Gyutos and my Takeda 210 Bunka. It felt so different.

But wow, does it cut well. The blade road is very steep and the core steel is great. Gets amazingly sharp, slips through onions and carrots due to the laser-like edge. It's become one of my favorite knives.
Ahhh man, you're making me consider selling my Kono cleaver for it!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 am
easilver wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 am

But wow, does it cut well. The blade road is very steep and the core steel is great. Gets amazingly sharp, slips through onions and carrots due to the laser-like edge. It's become one of my favorite knives.
The #6 fujiyama? Im really digging mine, after i sharpened it. Its a sweet cleaver imo. Although i would definitely like to add that matsubura tall nakiri, and i guess sometimes you have to let something go to get something new. But i will be holding onto mine

Ahhh man, you're making me consider selling my Kono cleaver for it!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Oops i put mine first
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm Oops i put mine first
I almost missed this, but yes! The Fuji #6 and yes, I love mine too actually. It is truly just overkill most days for just my wife and I though. I'm sure with time as the family grows though, I'll grow into it more as well.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm
Cutuu wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm Oops i put mine first
I almost missed this, but yes! The Fuji #6 and yes, I love mine too actually. It is truly just overkill most days for just my wife and I though. I'm sure with time as the family grows though, I'll grow into it more as well.
I could see it being overkill. My favorite time to use it is doing bulk vegetables for work. I could imagine it being too much for small amounts or dinners, but could still be an interesting one to keep for later. But, honestly anything im not using starts to itch my trigger finger and makes me think of getting rid of it. In the beginning, I wasn't using it and thought about selling mine also but im glad i didn't.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm
I could see it being overkill. My favorite time to use it is doing bulk vegetables for work. I could imagine it being too much for small amounts or dinners, but could still be an interesting one to keep for later. But, honestly anything im not using starts to itch my trigger finger and makes me think of getting rid of it. In the beginning, I wasn't using it and thought about selling mine also but im glad i didn't.
Exactly. I really have no desire to get rid of it and when I get the chance, I enjoy using it, but rarely take it out since most of the time I'm just cutting up a couple of x, y, and z. Think I could stop by a kitchen and just ask to help out with the prep for the day? :lol:
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm
Cutuu wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 pm
Exactly. I really have no desire to get rid of it and when I get the chance, I enjoy using it, but rarely take it out since most of the time I'm just cutting up a couple of x, y, and z.

Think I could stop by a kitchen and just ask to help out with the prep for the day? :lol:
Definetly! ;)
easilver

Post by easilver »

We need at least three more for this. Anyone else interested? So far we have,

jBart65
Lepus
AltaDan
eaSilver
Ed in L.A.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I'm in.
easilver

Post by easilver »

We need two more to try this beauty: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mabl2nagy21.html

$10 + shipping is a cheap date.
Ed in L.A.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Sure add me please.
easilver

Post by easilver »

Almost there:

AltaDan
BobZ
jBart65
Lepus
Nmiller21k
eaSilver
Ed in L.A.
easilver

Post by easilver »

I’m reducing the cost to $7 per participant. Along with the $12.75 shipping, this makes the participant cost $19.75.

I was hoping for more participants, but want to support jBart’s Hosted Passaround concept, so let’s start this. The current participants are:

AltaDan
BobZ
jBart65
Lepus
Nmiller21k
eaSilver

Everyone please send me your info:

CKTG user name
Real name
Address
Sharpening level: (A+,A, B, C)

Paypal $7 to me using “Friends and Family”. My Paypal & email is: easilver@me.com

Hosted Passaround Rules

TO JOIN

Pay $7 fee.

USE OF THE KNIFE

Up to 10 days per person.

SHARPENING

Avoid full progressions unless the knife needs one and you are an A-level sharpener. Do touch up or strop before sending to the next person.

SHIPPING

Each participant is responsible for cost of shipping and insurance to the next user.

Forward the tracking number to the next user and post the status on the official CKTG thread.

REVIEW

Each user is expected to write a one-paragraph review on the official thread.

LIABILITY

If the knife is damaged, a user is responsible for restoring to like-new condition. Arrange repair if necessary with A-level sharpeners and notify the passaround host and/or passaround thread.

If the knife cannot be restored, the passaround ends.

The responsible user must purchase the knife at list price minus his own participation fee and minus the fees of any other users who preceded him.

For example, user number 4 damages a $200 knife so that it's not restorable to its prior condition. He is required to buy the knife for $172. That is, $200 minus the user’s own $7 fee and minus $21 since three other users already used the knife.

Users who did not get a chance to use the knife would be reimbursed their participation fee by the host.

KNIFE AUCTION

At the end of the passaround, the host will inspect the knife, inform others of its condition and post photos if necessary before an auction.

Participants will be asked to submit private bids for the knife via PM. The highest bid wins the knife.

If the highest auction bid is less than the cost of the knife minus the participation fees collected, the host has the option to list on the CKTG classifieds. The host would be responsible for any potential losses.

Participants are not obligated to buy a passaround knife.

END
Ed in L.A.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Hey Ed, still time to add me or did I miss the boat on this one?