Yoshimitsu Fugen 170 Bunka

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefspence

Yoshimitsu Fugen 170 Bunka

Post by Chefspence »

Alright. There's been interest in this one and bensbites offered to rehandle, which it needs, and is totally worthy of imo. Put your name down if you wtt. I don't have too many restrictions on this one so just express your interest here. I'll wait til after the weekend and send it to Ben for the rehandle first, then we will figure the lineup. Thanks.
slobound

Re: Yoshimitsu Fugen 170 Bunka

Post by slobound »

Count me in!
-- Garrick
datster

Post by datster »

Count me in unless I buy one first, then I'll let you know, LOL! Still thinking about the gyuto .....
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I'll gladly join. Please count me in :D
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Say no to a passaround? Uh-uh. Been eying several Yoshimitsus and hope to eventually snag a 240 Tamahagane.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Alright. Looks like the list is a short one so far. I will send it out this week for a rehandle. Again, this knife is getting a handle by bensbites, so even though you can easily purchase one of these, if you take part in this passaround you get to try the knife and a custom handle by bensbites. Send me your shipping info please.
easilver

Post by easilver »

I'm in! Are we contributing to the purchase price like the monthly pass-arounds?
Ed in L.A.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Alright we've got 6 participants and I think that's good enough. So we've got;
Bensbites
Slobound
Easilver
Datster(maybe)
Altadan
Jbart
And me I guess, since it will be a new knife when I get it back

We're not doing the extra cash like in the other two current passarounds. This knife will be coming back to me and I will be keeping it for a while I think. I fixed the tip tonight and am sending it to Ben tomorrow. So it's sharp and ready to go, even though if it wasn't sharp I think it's still thin enough to cut. We've got three things you guys get to try on this one, unless you already have.

They are, the knife itself, a bensbites handle, and the rust inhibiting paper from cktg. What a package! I gotta start keeping you guys' addresses. Muth easier than messaging for them every time.

So, keep it for a week or ten days to get your fill and give it a review somewhere. Please insure it up to $130. And let's all have fun. I'm actually a little jealous that I get to use it last after the rehandle :lol:

Jbart, I've been working on my grammar and paragraphs. How am I doing?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I don't care about the grammer, Spence. Just the size of the paragraphs. The new Spence is much easier to read!(-:
Last edited by jbart65 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

:D good.
slobound

Post by slobound »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 am I don't care about the grammer, Spence. Just the size of the paragraphs. The new Spence is much easier to read!(-:
LOL!!! :lol:
-- Garrick
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Wow, you got it, Garrick. Wondering if anyone would catch my very inside joke. (-:
Jeffry B
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Bunka 170mm from @chefknivestogo. I was part of a forum passaround; while the knife was here I upgraded the handle to Rosewood/Purpleheart /Zebrawood. Please click into the Instagram post and swipe to see the purpleheart knife stand and how this knife absolutely destroyed shallots. See through thin cuts, smooth horizontal cuts. If I didn’t already have three bunkas I would buy this knife!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Gorgeous work, Ben! I'm looking forward to handle that beauty you made for Spence sometime down this same passaround
Tell me, do you also offer those stands on their own?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Altadan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:38 am Gorgeous work, Ben! I'm looking forward to handle that beauty you made for Spence sometime down this same passaround
Tell me, do you also offer those stands on their own?
I do offer the stand, a friend asked me for one I exchange for lending me 8 unicorn knives. I figured if I was making one I would make a few. Price will depend on the wood choice, in this case I threw in one of the purpleheart stands with wormholes just to say thank you. I figured it match the handle nicely, and Spence has given me a whole bunch of free marketing here.
datster

Post by datster »

Oh, I'm in for sure ............. if that's ok!
slobound

Post by slobound »

That looks awesome, Ben! I'm super excited to try it out.
-- Garrick
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

slobound wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 am That looks awesome, Ben! I'm super excited to try it out.
Thanks!
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:21 am

Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Bunka 170mm from @chefknivestogo. I was part of a forum passaround; while the knife was here I upgraded the handle to Rosewood/Purpleheart /Zebrawood. Please click into the Instagram post and swipe to see the purpleheart knife stand and how this knife absolutely destroyed shallots. See through thin cuts, smooth horizontal cuts. If I didn’t already have three bunkas I would buy this knife!
Wow, pretty flat for a bunka!

I keep debating on getting a nakiri (third time the charm?), and if I do, am trying to decide between a Fugen and a Gihei. Extremely different, I know, lol. Almost opposites.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

caerolle wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 pm
Bensbites wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:21 am

Wow, pretty flat for a bunka!

I keep debating on getting a nakiri (third time the charm?), and if I do, am trying to decide between a Fugen and a Gihei. Extremely different, I know, lol. Almost opposites.
Darn flat! Wanna get in on the passaround? I think you'd like the way it cuts.