Yoshimitsu Fugen 170 Bunka

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefspence

Re: Yoshimitsu Fugen 170 Bunka

Post by Chefspence »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am
slobound wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 am That looks awesome, Ben! I'm super excited to try it out.
Thanks!
Ya brother lookin real good!
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Chefspence wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm
Darn flat! Wanna get in on the passaround? I think you'd like the way it cuts.
Thanks, but I'm good. :)
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

This knife is on its way to Jeffry.

For what it’s worth, this knife is ground more like the my Tojiro ITK nakiri than my Yoshimitsu Blue 2 Bunka. It is very thin, I really liked it. It might inspire me to start severely thinning Atleast one of my home brewed bunkas

I would describe this as a nakiri with a tip.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am This knife is on its way to Jeffry.

For what it’s worth, this knife is ground more like the my Tojiro ITK nakiri than my Yoshimitsu Blue 2 Bunka. It is very thin, I really liked it. It might inspire me to start severely thinning Atleast one of my home brewed bunkas

Is the ITK really that thin? I haven't tried any of them. From my experience, the Yoshi seems more rust resistant than what I've heard about the Tojiros. If the Tojiro is anything like the Yoshi, it's gotta be one of the best deals of a knife ever!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 am
Bensbites wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am This knife is on its way to Jeffry.

Is the ITK really that thin? I haven't tried any of them. From my experience, the Yoshi seems more rust resistant than what I've heard about the Tojiros. If the Tojiro is anything like the Yoshi, it's gotta be one of the best deals of a knife ever!
My itk nakiri is that thin. The ITK nakiri was my first wa knife and it was an eye opening experience. I don’t have any problems with reactivity on my of my carbon knives. Maybe I baby them more. I also picked up a couple tojiro hairline nakiris as gifts. They were also super thin, but I didn’t cut with them.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

It is less reactive than my ITK 240, Spence. A lot less.

The ITK is an excellent knife, especially for the money. It could hold up for one meal against knives costing far more.

The Yoshimitu falls into the same category - and it's less reactive to boot.

$75? Kidding me. This thing is the steal on CKTG. Makes me more inclined to buy another Yoshi.

Oh, and fantab handle, Ben!
Jeffry B
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm
Oh, and fantab handle, Ben!
Thank you.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeez, maybe I should try one of the ITK. I've been enjoying cheaper knives that surprise me. The Yoshi has blown me away. I'm no longer afaraid of "all reactive" knives. Glad you're having fun with it!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 pm Jeez, maybe I should try one of the ITK. I've been enjoying cheaper knives that surprise me. The Yoshi has blown me away. I'm no longer afaraid of "all reactive" knives. Glad you're having fun with it!
From what I can tell of choil shots, the nakiri are the thinnest, they appear to be much thinner than the gyuto.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The ITK gyuto is more of a mid-range knife. Gets fairly thin at the edge, but has some beef to it as well. I bought it to be my practice sharpening knife, but it's much better than that. Love the profile. Like a cross between Masakage and Tanaka. Got some forward weight to that gives it chopping power. Tip is fluent.

After I used it a bit, I started looking for knives with similar profiles. I've sanded the handle, sharpened plenty, thinned. And it still performs very well.

On the Yoshi: It is a bit light for my taste, but I could see it as a utility knife for small tasks. Cuts exceedingly well.

When I got it, I used a pinch grip to cut and Ben's custom handle felt great. Impeccable fit and finish and quite a looker. Then I held in a racket grip as I always do to feel the entire handle and something felt ... odd. It seemed a bit ... thick.

Sure enough, I compared the butt of Ben's custom handle to all my knives and it was thicker than any of them. I pinch gripped again and it felt great. Slide my hand down the handle. And then I finally noticed the handle flares out toward the end!

I've seen handles that taper down toward the end, but not flare out. I think it looks really cool and I might even prefer it to taper-down handles.

Of course it matters not practically speaking. I never, ever racket grip a J knife. In a pinch, again, the handle felt great.

Ben, you've got a Yoshi B#2. What do you think? I've been looking at getting a Yoshi 240 in either B#2 or AS.
Jeffry B
slobound

Post by slobound »

I have a feeling this thing is gonna be a winner. Can't wait to give it a try.
-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

slobound wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am I have a feeling this thing is gonna be a winner. Can't wait to give it a try.
+1 on the excitement
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

jbart65 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:15 am The ITK gyuto is more of a mid-range knife. Gets fairly thin at the edge, but has some beef to it as well. I bought it to be my practice sharpening knife, but it's much better than that. Love the profile. Like a cross between Masakage and Tanaka. Got some forward weight to that gives it chopping power. Tip is fluent.

After I used it a bit, I started looking for knives with similar profiles. I've sanded the handle, sharpened plenty, thinned. And it still performs very well.

On the Yoshi: It is a bit light for my taste, but I could see it as a utility knife for small tasks. Cuts exceedingly well.

When I got it, I used a pinch grip to cut and Ben's custom handle felt great. Impeccable fit and finish and quite a looker. Then I held in a racket grip as I always do to feel the entire handle and something felt ... odd. It seemed a bit ... thick.

Sure enough, I compared the butt of Ben's custom handle to all my knives and it was thicker than any of them. I pinch gripped again and it felt great. Slide my hand down the handle. And then I finally noticed the handle flares out toward the end!

I've seen handles that taper down toward the end, but not flare out. I think it looks really cool and I might even prefer it to taper-down handles.

Of course it matters not practically speaking. I never, ever racket grip a J knife. In a pinch, again, the handle felt great.

Ben, you've got a Yoshi B#2. What do you think? I've been looking at getting a Yoshi 240 in either B#2 or AS.
I like the look of squarish endcap a the taper to rectangles at the ferrule. The premade handles I keep in the bench tend to be like this, some are more pronounced, others are less pronounced.

If someone wants custom, they get whatever they ask for lots of taper, no taper, a happy customer is all that matters.

As far as the B2 bunka, I like it ALOT! I have contemplated selling it just to make room. It I pretty thin but sturdy.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

For what it’s worth, I was just remembering the story with the handle colors. I am making a real effort to teach my 5 yr old daughter that she can do anything. She likes to help me in the workshop, and I only want to encourage her. I learned if I can’t find what I want, I make it.

Anyway, we were laying out the handles and choosing the woods, she chose the purpleheart spacers. For that reason this handle will always make me happy. She also sat next to me and turned the drill press on and off.

Thanks for listening.
Benj
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The reason I mentioioned the anecdote about the handle is because it took me totally by surprise. I have seen lots of handles that taper down in the back, but I don't recall noticing any that flare out. Bit of a Eureka moment for me.

I see why it has to be thicker in the back. It wouldn't do to have the ferrule too thin since the knife will be handled in a pinch grip.

If I only used a racket grip, I don't think I'd want a handle that tapers or flares out. For a pinch grip user I think a flare out makes more sense, especially from a balance perspective. The Yoshi feels nicely balanced.

Purpleheart in a interesting wood. I've been thinking for some time about using it as the main portion of a custom handle. One of these days ...
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

This is getting packed up and shipped out tomorrow. Many thanks, Spence. Got to send something your way soon. Will message later this week.

Went to the Asian grocery store as I do several times a year. Drunken noodles on Saturday, chicken ramen on Sunday (broth cooking as I write on a rainy weekend in DC).

Lot of cutting: garlic, shallots, onions, scallions, carrots, baby corn, shitakes, peas, green beans, celery, tomatoes. Plus fruit for smoothies for my flu-ridden wife.

The Yoshi is an excellent little knife. Nimble. Fairly thin at the tip for some detailed work. Good chopper on low ingredients. Decent food sep. Tip draws were effective on protein. After a few days of use it didn't feel off-puttingly light anymore.

Bigger shocker? Hardly any reactivity. My ITK is the Mt Vesuvius of reactive knives.

Now, it has some shortcomings. Don't try to mince herbs, for instance. Not gonna happen. And denser ingredients made it work a wee bit harder. The bottom of a large celery stalk offered more resistance, as did a tall carrot.

Still, this is a great deal for a midlength knife for smaller prep sessions. Comfy in the hand, especially with Ben's superb handle, and more fun that I expected.

Would I get one? Probably not. But this is the first bunka that made me think: Hey, maybe I should get a bunka to add to my collection. The profile is good for a session of light chopping, heavier push cutting and occasional tip action on proteins.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Knife packed and labeled. Gets shipped out Monday to Don T.

Really wonder if it's stainless clad like the Makoto. Barely any reactivity.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Thanks J. Ya it's curiously inreactive isn't it? I know what you're talking about with denser ingredients, I had the same thing with a bunch of celery. I think it just lacks heft. My interpretation anyways. And ya, it does lack the ability to do a couple all around tasks that say a santoku could do. Little too flat for that. I think this knife is best suited for some veggie prep and mainly smaller, less robust ingredients. Not much different than many Nakiri, bunka, and santoku offerings in that regard, but as Jeffry said, for 75$...pretty much non reactive, white 1 steel, nice KU, handmade look and feel with deep and visible kanji. Really nice package I think.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Chefspence wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 amReally nice package I think.
Really nice. Definitely a stand-in for many santokus and some nakiris if no herbs are involved and the prep session is modest.

I might just have to get my one of the higher-end Yoshis like the AS or B#2.

Fugen is not gonna compete, obviously with something stellar like a Watanabe 180 nakiri that I got recently. Damn thing cut a tall carrot better than any other knife in my block. Thin tip and even OK for light rocking near the front.
Jeffry B
datster

Post by datster »

Alright, had it over the weekend. First, kudos to Ben, very nice job on the handle and block. Gonna talk to you about some blocks for sure. The bunka, for $75, I've already told several people they should buy one. I have a Shibata, Kanehiro and Tanaka so not like it fits in my arsenal but its a cool bunka. Already said, it's light, doesn't seem very reactive. It's a great veggie cutter, a little sticky when I cur onions and mushrooms but I'm a laser fan for those. I cut French fries from some big potatoes tonight, no problem at all. Stuff like peppers, shallots, scallions, carrots, cuts with ease. I like it, may even end up with one some day just because, but definitely a great cutter at that price.