Yoshimitsu AS 180mm Tall Nakiri

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Altadan

Re: Yoshimitsu AS 180mm Tall Nakiri

Post by Altadan »

Knife on its way to Jdavid

I'll say a few short things:

- The knife's handle, choil, weight\heft, they all feel great in the hand, inspiring confidence.
- 180 feels just right on this nakiri
- Height is very useful for both following the knuckles while chopping taller ingredients (like a half-cabbage), and for scooping heaps of food into the pan.
- The KU texture, it seems, works really well for food release
- I'm no expert, but I think the grind helps a lot with f/r, as well as easy separation. I didn't feel much of wedging at all (a gentle but firm thrust down will get this knife through anything :) )
- Aesthetics are very rustic
- generally speaking, this knife gives off the impression of a very, very useful piece of "kitchen gear." I could easily reach for this knife over and over again.

If it weren't for the looks (it makes my Tanaka 240 gyuto look like a puny, pale, pathetic knife on the magnet :\ ) I would get it for myself. I can imagine a set-up of a good petty alongside this knife and be done with it (sacrilege!)

Bottom line, I can easily recommend this knife.
Mark might really be on to something with these tall nakiris.

Spence, thanks heaps for this passaround! It's been a lot of fun wielding a nakiri again, and I can tell you that even wife has given it a swing or two, and has smiled on the idea of getting "another knife that we NEED"
We'll see... :twisted:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Thanks for the input Dan. I agree with everything you said, although I have really become partial to KU finishes. Especially rough ones. I'm sure it might just be a phase for me, but it adds So much character to a knife! Thanks for getting it off in good time
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Actually, I really agree on the "Rough KU finish" part. It DOES add character, and I think it really does make a difference on the food release.
Otherwise, though, when it hangs next to something more refined, or gentle, the contrast is just too jarring to me. I told my wife that I'd be happy to have a set of rough KU knives, hanging side by side, but it's gotta be either or...
On that note, I'm curious about the Matsu B#2 tall nakiri...

But in any case, this Yoshimitu's a great knife!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Yep, after trying this tall Nakiri, the Matsubara is high on my list too!
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:17 pm Thanks for the input Dan. I agree with everything you said, although I have really become partial to KU finishes. Especially rough ones. I'm sure it might just be a phase for me, but it adds So much character to a knife! Thanks for getting it off in good time
I'm in my "rustic KU finish" phase, too. 😊 Love the look, and, especially with the Yoshi, love the assistance with food release.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've got the Yoshi now and also a Matsubara on a loan. Used them both tonite to prepare a Thai Chiang Mai noodle dish. I cut scallions, bell and chile peppers, shallots, garlic, baby corn and julienned carrots.

Took a couple of photos with my Samsung Galaxy, but they are not as good as some of the stuff posted earlier in the thead. My apologies.

Yoshi on top, Matsu on bottom

Yoshi

Matsu

Matu left, Yoshi right. The Matsu is a bit thicker coming out of the spine

I've been using the Yoshi this week. Got the Matsu today.

Impressions: I like the Yoshi size and weight. As Spence measured, about 66mm tall and 6.9 oz. The Matsu clocks in at about 75 mm and 8.65 oz. Makes a big difference in how they feel in the hand. The Yoshi is nimbler and more maneuverable. The Matsu really wants to cut up and down and not move around too much. Think a dancing middleweight or welterweight boxer vs. a straight-at-you heavyweight.

The Yoshi grind reminds me quite a bit of a Takeda. The blade is fairly thin from the top of the spine until about a half inch from the edge. Fattens up a bit before the edge, then thins out. Maybe a cross between a Takeda and an "S" grind, no?

Alas, the Yoshi does not separate food as well as a Takeda. Separated better than the Matsu. Just not enough for me to be wowed. And as with the Takeda bunka I used, the Yoshi does wedge a bit in stuff like tall carrots. Sharp and cuts well, yes, but the grind induces clear tradeoffs.

Another odd thing: The Yoshi looks very flat and straight, but accordion cuts on bell peppers and scallions surprised me. I changed my angle and it happened again. On closer look, it almost seems as if there is a slight upward curve both at the heel and edge of the Yoshi.

Matsu appears to have more curve, but it cut more straight and true. No accordion cuts on anything.

In every test, I must say, the Matsu won out. Never wedged on anything and just powered through stuff like it wasn't there. It's not thick coming out of the handle, but it's still stiff. Holds a certain width then tapers toward the edge. From spine to edge, it's pretty much the same thickness until a low grind kicks in about an inch from the edge.

Verdict: My first day with the Matsu was fun and I will enjoy it some more, but I'd probably prefer the Matsu to be a similar size as the Yoshi. The Yoshi is more nimble and comfortable in the hand. The Matsu is like a Pogo Stick - Up and down is what it wants to do. I think 75 mm is a bit too high, especially at it's weight.

The Matsu grind is much more my style, though. I have now used the Matsu tall nakiri, 210 and 240 Blue gyutos and the grind is all the same. These are tall knives that keep their stiffness by maintaining a similar thickness from top to bottom until the low grind begins. (Or is it a gradual, tall grind?). They don't come out of the handle very thick like a Kato or Takayuki Damascus and thin out quickly.

Don't get me wrong. The Yoshi is a nice nakiri. Were it to carry a more conventional grind I'd almost certainly buy one. And as much as I like the Matsu on the first date, I can tell it's too buxom a girl for me to marry. (-:
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Awesome, thanks Jeff!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

How's it going with the Yoshi Jeff? Anxious to hear more of your take on this one.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Sorry, Spence. Didn't see the message earlier. This is shipping out today. Ran out of boxes - the one it was in fell apart - and had to order some more from Amazon. Packed and headed to md130.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

You're good. thanks for the update.
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

Can't wait to try this knife! Hoping to get a good bounty from the farmer's market on Friday to give this knife a try.

JBart - can you message me the tracking number so I can look out for it?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Tracking sent. The Yoshi has what I would consider an ideal profile for a tall 180 nakiri. Hope to see others like it.
Jeffry B
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

Knife received. Hoping to put it to the test this weekend.
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

Put the knife to work breaking down some sweet potatoes into wedges last night. It flew through those potatoes. The extra heft really allows you to let the knife do all the work and the extra length compared to standard nakiris was much appreciated when cutting the sweet potatoes. I hope to get some more use out of the knife tonight and tomorrow before shipping it out.