need testers/feedback

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
timos

need testers/feedback

Post by timos »

This is a pass around of sorts. Looking for a few partners to help me test different blades profiles/geometries. Mostly looking for Pro's. You dont need to be a knife expert or anything, just need to spend alot of time with a blade.

Please PM if you have an interest. Bonus if you are in the new england area.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
raleighcook15

Re: need testers/feedback

Post by raleighcook15 »

Would always love to test drive your knives. Pmd
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I'm also happy to give whatever feedback I can, from my humble home kitchen (but no hard feelings if you pass me over ;) )
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

As much as I would love to be able to provide feedback, I’m currently in a position where only my line knives see regular use. If I was still processing volume, I’d be all over this but I fear I wouldn’t be able to give them a complete assessment. Good luck, I love following your work.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

While my views on edge profiles tend to be different than the forum I would love to put in a run. I am just south of you in Maryland.
timos

Post by timos »

I will take you all up on your offers, I have a stainless 165mm petty with a new geometry I am sending out atm. Also finishing up a 15n20 blade in a 250mm x 50mm format I am sure will be a hit. this is the steel I will be using for my own line. I will keep you guys updated.
Thank you!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I would like to participate as a busy home cook. Thanks
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Always interested in trying more of your work but I am just a lowly home cook.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

timos wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:20 am I will take you all up on your offers, I have a stainless 165mm petty with a new geometry I am sending out atm. Also finishing up a 15n20 blade in a 250mm x 50mm format I am sure will be a hit. this is the steel I will be using for my own line. I will keep you guys updated.
Thank you!
Can't wait to hear how it works out. I have been hearing about more and more people using 15n20 as a steel on its own rather than in Damascus as of late. Or so I have heard on some of the outdoor forums.
timos

Post by timos »

I really appreciate all the interest in my blades and all your willingness help improve this stuff.

The one part of knife-making that I outsource is the heat treat. I have done a tone of research into it and am looking forward to the day where I can do it on my own but at this point, I still do not have the space or the volume to make it financially feasible. I am always on the look out for different heat treating services and I love trying out different ones. I have been looking for a partner now for awhile that I can depend on to supply me with a consistent material and heat treat for my own line of knives. I guess you could call this stuff mid tech but I am still making them the same way as all my other stuff. Only difference is I am focusing on 5 to 10 blades at a time rather than the one by one custom knife approach.

Here is some cool info I think you guys might find interesting.

The steel is Bohler Uddelholm 15n20 that is recycled from giant band saw blades. This steel is then normalized to transform it to an ideal state for making knives.

First of all, consistency is extremely important. And here you can see the initial stages of heat treat using coupons and the glass like fine grain that is achieved.
ImageImage

My buddy shared with me some pictures of his destructive testing.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Every blade is RC tested. Here is the prototype that I will be passing around. I receive the blade pretty close to final dimensions but give myself enough room to adjust the profiles from little belly to lotta belly.
The biggest challenge with mono steel blades of this size and thinness is keeping them straight. They require a lot of attention after heat treat and tempering as well as during grinding. The end result is I hope a sublime experience to go with all that awesome food you guys make :)
ImageImage
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Hey, that is so cool. Thank you for sharing your process like that.
timos

Post by timos »

The history of 15N20 as a knife steel is really oldof course but was popularized for use in damascus i believe by Devin Thomas in the late 80's, 90's. The supply was always good as well as the quality. However it was always only available in small thickness, hence the use in damascus billets but not so much for mono steel custom knives. But of course we love thin steel for kitchen knives so here we are :) It is a fine steel, gets screaming sharp and has a little nickel to make it tough enough to support a very fine edge.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Let me know when you need the ole addy. Looks lovely bro.
-C-
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love those "destruction testing" pictures!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
timos

Post by timos »

here is a quick pic of the petty after puttin a fresh edge on her...
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Sweet. Hope to get to try it
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Good looking knife.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Very nice!
timos

Post by timos »

thanks guys, you can all try it eventually I just needed to put some miles on her quickly..it is a unique profile , i wanted to offer something a little different, there is so many great classic eastern and western profiles. This is my personal blend :)
I like having a little belly, it allows me to cut just what i want to with proteins and stuff without messing up the point. There is also a generous flat spot for mincing, which is another thing I do a ton of....This is my blade of choice for making dinner quick in my 4 sq. ft of coutnerspace and 1 sq. ft cutting board :) In the end this profile and size knife is more geared towards the home user. It is my answer to my relatives asking me for a knife...its gotta be smaller, stronger, and stainless and still be eons past the globals and henckels they already own.

But that little guy is Nitro-V steel, not the 15n20 I was talking about before....sorry if I confused the thread. I will have the big 250mm 15n20 blade headed out pretty soon too.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
thegingerninja.abq

Post by thegingerninja.abq »

Looks like a sweet petty! I would like to get into your pass around if possible. Thanks!