Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Cutuu

Re: Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

Post by Cutuu »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:51 pm Bear 🐻 with me for a few moments.......

I don’t mean to get dramatic or sappy ....... but my 3yr old daughter had a seiszure (for the 1st time) last weekend and at the time she was completely unresponsive and breathing was sooo minimal that we could not tell at 530am, so we actually were terrified. I was honestly mortified that I may have just picked up my dead daughters lifeless body out o bed. Needless to say..... I’ve had a rough week..... not sure when the knife arrived but I’m getting around to using it this weekend

If you pray..... please keep my daughter in your prayers.... and if you don’t, just keep her in your thoughts & hope for the best
Oh wow! I will be praying for you. I hope she gets/is better.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Alright guys... so the blade got to me safe and sound... here are pics of how it looked when recieved
2A10FC6F-429E-429C-B4D7-A881DC775AF7.jpeg
C5439A04-8D85-4556-9693-BDA78C17057F.jpeg
J david

Post by J david »

Did I accidentally send all those other knives with it? I'm going to need those back😁
CacahuateSommelier

J david wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:41 pm Did I accidentally send all those other knives with it? I'm going to need those back😁
Hahahahaha lol... see next post
CacahuateSommelier

So let me start by saying I am fairly new to non-mass-produced J-knives & that I am not a pro whatsoever...

I did however pickup some pre-lunch shifts at a restaurant I consult for just to get some BOH experience, the GM was more than happy to offer me a few hours a week to do mostly prep, some butchery, grunt work & dishwashing. Allowing me to gain experience in other areas of the restaurant, a little extra $$$ & hours of practice improving my cutting technique by cutting shit without having to buy it myself, lol

Luckily I got to use it at home (I personally wouldnt feel comfortable useing a passaround outside of Home) forFather’s Day weekend to break down a 10lb ribeye primal as well as the Okeya knives from another passaround. So it was kinda like a present... thanks CKTGF!!!! I used it to section the ribeyes as well as break down a watermellon, cantaloupe, slice mushrooms & slice potatoes for an au-gratin. So a pretty good weekend to try out some knives

So.... the blade..... let’s start with data:

Blade edge length - 249mm
Blade height - 52.5mm
@ handle - 4.32mm
@ heel - 3.38mm
@ 1/3 (80mm) - 2.50mm
@ 2/3 (160mm) - 2.06mm
@ Start of grind - 1.93mm
^ 20mm from the tip

Handle is decent and installed well. It has a nice texture with good grip and a small step from handle to ferrule... small enough it doesn’t bother at all (if it was mine id make it flush anyways).

The hammered KU finish a really neat looking as well as durable & useful. But overall F&F leaves a bit to be desired. Choil could really use rounding and polishing, especially if you use pinch grip. The spin is not really eased at all but the shear thickness & heft make it not all that necessary. Though I would like at least some rounding

The blade is beefy & has a solid heft to it. Definitely blade heavy with balance point 25mm from handle & a solid 10mm above my pinch grip. Considering the robust spine measurements all along the blade, wedging is surprisingly not as big of an issue as I expected.

Cutting a watermelon in 1/2 was where wedging became really evident, splitting more than cutting. But outside of that wedging was acceptable given the food release trade off. The benefits of the Yahiko far outweighed any of the negatives. This thing has an incredible food release & the grind just sends product off on its merry way, never shooting hard product away as I anticipated.

I really cannot emphasize enough how great the food release is... I was easily able to breeze through slicing all the potatoes for the Au-Gratin leaving behind perfectly sliced potato slices all still bunched together as if uncut. Tested a few carrots just to try it out and once again.... product just falls off the side.

After prepping all the fruit & veg I quickly stropped the blade (which up until this point remained unaltered since receiving) and it was right back to shaving sharp. Trimming the ribeye was left to the Okeya Knives but sectioning it into steaks was the Yahiko’s Job. It faired well and did the job easy enough,but I prefer other choices for breaking down primal into steaks. Slicing the steaks after grilling is where the Yahiko really shines, food release really on display again

Also, after sectioning the primal into steaks & then slicing them up after being grilled, I diced about 6 tomatoes for a salad without doing anything more than wiping down the blade in-between tasks. Great edge retention.

Overall the knife is an excellent performer! And offers excellent bang for the $$. I don’t see myself going out to buy one though as I really don’t have a need for something so robust & tend to prefer lighter knives. This strikes me as a perfect knife for a pro who does tons of prep and requires a knife with great food release. This is by far the best example of food release I have ever used. If I dealt with cutting potatoes all day I would definitely get this as it makes life so much easier.

However, The blade heavy aspect may cause a bit of fatigue if used for hairs each day like in a pro-setting. So a heel heavy custom handle would be highly recommended to bring balance point back a 5-15mm

Thanks you very much David for letting me join in on this pass-around and Mark/CKTG for this forum.

Gonna use it this weekend as well and update with any other observations and ship it out on Monday
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Pleasure to read! Great write-up, and much of the same impressions as my own :)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
CacahuateSommelier

Altadan wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 pm Pleasure to read! Great write-up, and much of the same impressions as my own :)
Just read your write-up and agree... we had pretty similar sentiments... loved the video of the butternut squash.... when you were first breaking it down you got stuck due to wedging.. but after that it was a real treat to use... great vid... I gotta remember to take more pictures... didn’t take any of actually using it
CacahuateSommelier

Can I get a pm of who I’m sending it to next, can’t seem to locate it
J david

Post by J david »

PM sent
easilver

Post by easilver »

Knife arrived safe and sound. First impression is the thickness and abrupt shoulder above the grind. Without reading all-y'all's posts, I would expect this to wedge badly. But, it doesn't! It cuts surprisingly well.

At first it wouldn't cut newspaper, but a few strops on 1.5μ CBN/Balsa and it sliced cleanly--except about 2/3 up the blade was a rough spot. Cut up cabbage for slaw and it performed admirably. I like the extra heft and the spine thickness, but the spine and choil edges are so rough it was uncomfortable--I am a delicate flower!

I agree with the others that this knife would be vastly improved with choil and spin rounding. Also, if there was some vertical taper from the spine towards the shoulder this could be a truly great knife.

Thanks David. Looking forward to using her more this weekend.

I believe Igalor gets it next. Ivan--do I send to the same address as the Kuwabara?
Ed in L.A.
J david

Post by J david »

Just curious about where we are at on this one.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Please hurry guys. This one has me salivating badly!!!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Hey guys. Got the knife today. Man this thing is gorgeous. I’ll give it a good workout this week.

First impression, definitely thick! Nice grind. Almost completely even on both sides. Comes to a nice thin edge. The KU is very smooth. Feels like th Takeda KU.

I’ll let y’all know more soon
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Sending knife out tomorrow!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 pm Please hurry guys. This one has me salivating badly!!!
I really miss this knife. A single week was too short to play with it...

There might jjjjjust be room on the magnet for one last knife...
wife would prefer I sold one before I bought one, but how does one part from a knife? I mean, the few I have are either excellent, beautiful, or both...
I know I want one of these thick hammered Yahikos...
250mm, however, is definitely overkill for me. Anybody know who the maker is? 8-)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
CacahuateSommelier

Not saying it the same maker but I think of the yahiko every time I see it.... different profile but eirily similar grind

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hiwh2su27cu.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yabl2hagy24.html
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I think the Madanobu looks similar in grind

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/maokbl2tana.html
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Gentlemen, I’m sorry, but I just started a divorce and am still working my butt off. Promise I’ll get it out tomorrow.

May be tmi, but I feel bad and want to let y’all know whats up. Thanks for your patience!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Alright, I fixed it up on the Arashiyama 6 and stripped it. Should be good to go. I’ll get it out tomorrow. Sorry again guys!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Chefspence wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 pm Gentlemen, I’m sorry, but I just started a divorce and am still working my butt off. Promise I’ll get it out tomorrow.

May be tmi, but I feel bad and want to let y’all know whats up. Thanks for your patience!
Oh man that sucks. Not sure it’s the right word choice, but good luck and best wishes.