Hosted Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto 240mm passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
J david

Re: Hosted Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto 240mm passaround

Post by J david »

Hello all. I have had the opportunity to use the knife a bit and have some observations. I wanted to try this knife because I'm still trying to find the laser that speaks to me. Long story short, I am still looking. I'm probably not the best person to evaluate this knife because of this. I still don't understand the appeal.

There were no surprises at all with this knife. It performed as expected falling through product with ease. Also, as expected, it exhibites the terrible stickage that plagues knives of this type. Maybe a little worse than others I've tried.
I couldn't shake these cucumbers slices except the ones that climbed far enough up the blade that half the chip was in the air. These were not thin slices either, ~10mm.

The profile is neutral and the balance is good. The steel seems to be very good, but I don't have more than 2 or 3 experiences with this steel type. It is easier to sharpen than the others I've tried.

Handle is descent especially at the price point and fit and finish is good. I'm certain many people will find this knife perfect for their preference, but I can't fall in love with it. I have many knives that go through food just as easily with much, much better food release. Maybe one day I'll find my laser.

I'm going to try to use it as much as possible through the weekend and move it along on Monday. Thanks for the passaround Ben!
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

J david wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm I have many knives that go through food just as easily with much, much better food release. Maybe one day I'll find my laser.
Fair and honest review... thanks for the info.... still very interested in it as lasers are A-👌 in my book, but very pleased to hear/read an honest negative reviews

Intrigued on what you would consider your favorite 240-270 Gyuto that falls through with excellent food release under $300? Asking for selfish reasons.... top 3 is fine too if you can’t choose just 1
J david

Post by J david »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 pm
J david wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm I have many knives that go through food just as easily with much, much better food release. Maybe one day I'll find my laser.
Fair and honest review... thanks for the info.... still very interested in it as lasers are A-👌 in my book, but very pleased to hear/read an honest negative reviews

Intrigued on what you would consider your favorite 240-270 Gyuto that falls through with excellent food release under $300? Asking for selfish reasons.... top 3 is fine too if you can’t choose just 1
I hope I didn't come across as too negative on this particular knife, it is the style I have most of my issues with. I don't think lasers are for me but I'm going to keep looking anyway.
PM sent on your other question. I don't want to de-rail this thread.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

J david wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I hope I didn't come across as too negative on this particular knife, it is the style I have most of my issues with. I don't think lasers are for me but I'm going to keep looking anyway.
Hey, we’re all curious ;)
J david

Post by J david »

Chefspence wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:37 pm
J david wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Hey, we’re all curious ;)
Any of these, really, but that is not being fair to the Makoto. I'm sure it is a fine laser in every regard and I'm pretty sure lasers are not my thing. The Makoto will perform better on tall, hard produce like butternut squash, but for 99% of everything I cut, a knife with good food release is my preference. It felt like it took me forever to go through a couple of cucumbers because of having to carefully knock the slices off the blade so they wouldn't end up on the floor. This is what a sliced cucumber should look like on the board.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

The knife made it to Chicago yesterday. It is crawling West...
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Alright, gents.
This knife paid a visit down south a while back, and it came, it cut, and moved on along to a desert not to far up north west of here...

First though, I must thank Ben for the initiative on this passaround. It's been a long journey for this one, and I cannot (yet) imagine what it must be like.
Thank you Ben!

Without having read too many of the previous posts, I did know to expect stickage, but regardless, let me say a good word or two. Here goes

The knife is at once both plain and beautiful.
While I personally do enjoy a good Damascus pattern, or dimples, or whatnot (what some call "busy"), every time I used this knife it kept catching my eye. To be specific, it was the highly polished spine catching the light that caught my eye. The F&F were very pleasant to the eye.
Yes, the kanji is screened, but even still, it has its charm
~
Capture.PNG
Performance-wise, it was honey with a sting; the honey was in the cutting experience - the pierce and travel through product - was smoother than anything I've handled so far. The sting is, unfortunately, the very real stickage. Potatoes, Sweet Pots, cucumbers, onions... they all travel up the blade face and then... and then nothing. Their stuck there till you cut more and push them over. Product does not drop with a flick of the wrist, and some product will resist even a flick of the finger.
What can I say thought? Still it goes through so beautifully. This Makoto is thinner than my Gassan B#2 (which is no laser, but is very thin behind the edge), and cuts sweet pots and carrots with more ease than even that.
On similar but different note, I recall the Kato Suminagashi being at least as thin, but oh the resistance than thin (and heavily etched) blade had going through. The Makoto just goes.
Capture1.PNG
This is the first Echizen blade I've handled, and I found it very accommodating of my cutting styles, having both flat at the back and still enough curve and belly sweep up the front to be useful.

I'm sure I've something more to say, but I can't think of it right now.
Oh, maybe to say that the R2 steel felt (to me) just fine and dandy on the board.
It also sharpened up easily. It came to me needing a touch up, and I let it work a few more days before I passed it on a 6k a few times, and voila. Sharp and pleasing.

The Makoto AS and the Ryusei both look gorgeous, and I wonder what sort of separation and release those would have... (now, if CJM could only add some muscles.. haha

With cool cheers for the Autumn,
Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
easilver

Post by easilver »

I have the knife now. Plan to use it for this week and ship next week.
Ed in L.A.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Got the knife. It appears perfectly intact from shipping.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Ok, the passaround is over.

Any of the participants interim purchasing? I have to check my records, but I think we are looking at $100-120 after all is said and done.

Email me if you are interested. Bensbites at gmail.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

The knife is home. Apparently none of the participants were interested in owning it.

The passaround is concluded. Thank you to all!

Ben
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm The knife is home. Apparently none of the participants were interested in owning it.

The passaround is concluded. Thank you to all!

Ben
You got a great deal Been! That's a lot of knife for the money. I honestly had things going on and just wasn't paying attention, plus I'm broke :cry: .
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Huh? I must have missed this too. Did a message go out to us partic... oh! there it is, two posts up.
Hmmmm
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld