Hosted Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto 240mm passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
keithmarder

Re: Hosted Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto 240mm passaround

Post by keithmarder »

I would like in
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

keithmarder wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 pm I would like in
Let’s see if anyone falls out when it comes time to pay. Thanks for your interest.

Ben
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Handle wise, it would be interesting to try a new knife with the new handle shape you have been working on.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

OgerBash wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:37 pm Handle wise, it would be interesting to try a new knife with the new handle shape you have been working on.
That would be cool.... but I am also very interested to try the cherry “Sakura” handle on the Sakura makoto as it seems to have a very nice F&F
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

If another spot becomes available somehow, I'd like to get in also.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

You guys need to run two of these at this point. It's a shame the knife is sold out.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I am open to more people. I want to find a fair way to divide the cost.

Open to suggestions, either we keep it at 1/3 the cost divided by everyone, or we creep closer to 1/2 the cost. I lean to the half cost side of things.

Looking for honest constructive dialogue here.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm I am open to more people. I want to find a fair way to divide the cost.

Open to suggestions, either we keep it at 1/3 the cost divided by everyone, or we creep closer to 1/2 the cost. I lean to the half cost side of things.

Looking for honest constructive dialogue here.
I'm game either way.
Jbart65 recently hosted a ten-person passaround, and it was several months long, so that's a consideration.
If we each pay 10$ now, yet some of us get to play with the knife around, say, September, that's another consideration.
Like I said, I'm happy either way, being in this for the passaround more so than the auction. This knife at half price, though... who knows. Certainly the wife knows. But who knows, you know?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Since there is so much interest, I will bow out and let someone else take my spot.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:02 pm
keithmarder wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 pm I would like in
Let’s see if anyone falls out when it comes time to pay. Thanks for your interest.

Ben
Thanks Ben
easilver

Post by easilver »

I agree to keeping it at $10 and lowering the net price of the knife at the end.
Ed in L.A.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

easilver wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am I agree to keeping it at $10 and lowering the net price of the knife at the end.
Thanks Ed, I like this idea too, I want to see where the majority of the group lands. More people handleing and sharpening he knife will lower the value in the end.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I talked to Ben and I'll remain in. I didn't want to take someone else's spot since there was so much interest but it sounds like he is OK increasing participation and just applying more of the payment to cover a higher percentage of the knife so I'm not standing in someone else's way.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

My 2cents:. A pro may sharpen a sg2 knife once in a week. A home cook is may not even need to sharpen it. It actually may skip a couple of home cooks without major sharpening, and a pro might not even need to sharpen it. These knives are built to last for a while. If there's more people and it takes off another $40 or $50, it's hard for me to imagine someone getting the knife for dirt cheap and being unhappy. I had thought about doing a knife and seeing if most of the knife could get paid for and then auctioning off for next to nothing plus shipping. This one seems like a great candidate for something like that.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:07 am My 2cents:. A pro may sharpen a sg2 knife once in a week. A home cook is may not even need to sharpen it. It actually may skip a couple of home cooks without major sharpening, and a pro might not even need to sharpen it. These knives are built to last for a while. If there's more people and it takes off another $40 or $50, it's hard for me to imagine someone getting the knife for dirt cheap and being unhappy. I had thought about doing a knife and seeing if most of the knife could get paid for and then auctioning off for next to nothing plus shipping. This one seems like a great candidate for something like that.
I agree. Feel free to send me your info and preferences for stock vs custom handle. I am happy to expand the passaround, I just want to respect this community. I want to give the passaround members another day to comment publicly or privately about this idea.
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

10 bucks now, swap the handle but include the original in the box so people can see and feel the stock handle, and
Dirt cheap auction at the end.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Georgek wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm 10 bucks now, swap the handle but include the original in the box so people can see and feel the stock handle, and
Dirt cheap auction at the end.
I am fine with that idea, what if I want to keep it?
slobound

Post by slobound »

Haha! I have a feeling this might be staying in Boston.
-- Garrick
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

slobound wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 pm Haha! I have a feeling this might be staying in Boston.
I wouldn’t have done this unless I was interested in the knife. On the other hand, I done need another 240.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:15 pm
slobound wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 pm Haha! I have a feeling this might be staying in Boston.
I wouldn’t have done this unless I was interested in the knife. On the other hand, I done need another 240.
Remember Ben, none of us neeeeeeds another 240 :twisted:

"Buying philosophies" is what drives these forum members... or is it what holds them from addiction? Or... oh, whatever already
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld