Knife Maker Pass Around

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
claytonsmith

Knife Maker Pass Around

Post by claytonsmith »

Hey everyone,

I was on the old forum a bit, but I haven't spent much time here.

I find myself in the shoes of a new knife maker. I'm working now on nailing down blade geometry. I figure this forum, being a really dense group of kitchen knife people, is a good vetting procedure.

Would y'all be interested in a pass around of a knife I ground to give me some feedback on it? Geometry and performance are my only focal points with this. The knife won't be pretty, it won't be fancy, it wont be hand-sanded to 1200 grit. I just want people's thoughts on in-hand feel and cutting ability. Perhaps edge holding comments, too.

I'd really like to get it in the hands of, say, half a dozen professional cooks or very knife-knowledgeable home cook. I'm making a knife in 15n20 right now that may be the one I want tested. I may make another, same as this one, but in 1095. I'm unsure on that. I haven't finalized a plan just yet. Gauging interest in this at the moment.

Thanks for anyone willing to provide thoughts or comments on this idea.

Take care!

Clayton
timos

Re: Knife Maker Pass Around

Post by timos »

I just recently did a passaround like this. Although i did get some good feedback, my next passaround is probably gonna be an all out high end knife....probably along the line of the highest level of fit and finish i am capable of.
breaking into the "no frills" category is tough and generally not what people expect from domestic knife makers. Just sharing my experiences as ive done a few pass arounds.

On another note, id be happy to take something of yours for a test run, i dont have pro experience but im pretty knowledgeable of what pros expect.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I'll give it a whirl and give you my 2 cents.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

I'll take it for A ride too
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I'm always down to test a new knife. I love passarounds
Dkroe3

Post by Dkroe3 »

I’ll definitely give what you have a try and give you my feedback!
claytonsmith

Post by claytonsmith »

timos wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am I just recently did a passaround like this. Although i did get some good feedback, my next passaround is probably gonna be an all out high end knife....probably along the line of the highest level of fit and finish i am capable of.
breaking into the "no frills" category is tough and generally not what people expect from domestic knife makers. Just sharing my experiences as ive done a few pass arounds.

On another note, id be happy to take something of yours for a test run, i dont have pro experience but im pretty knowledgeable of what pros expect.

Good notes. Thanks, Tim. I'll consider that and take you up on the offer. I'll have to work on wrapping my head around that idea. I always prioritize function much over form. I suppose I have to adjust that thinking process. I see what you're saying, though. Most domestic makers ARE very focused on the "pretty" aspect.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

If this is still going on I’d gladly chip in.
-C-