Konosuke MM Blue #2 Passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Cutuu

Re: Konosuke MM Blue #2 Passaround

Post by Cutuu »

gladius wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:35 am Or Dr. Seuss...
"My alphabet starts with this letter called Fuj. It's the letter I use to spell Fuj-i-ya-ma. You'll be sort of surprised what there is to be found once you go beyond 'Z' and start poking around!" — Dr. Seuss
Nice!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

gladius wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:35 am Or Dr. Seuss...
"My alphabet starts with this letter called Fuj. It's the letter I use to spell Fuj-i-ya-ma. You'll be sort of surprised what there is to be found once you go beyond 'Z' and start poking around!" — Dr. Seuss
I really like where this went... :D :lol:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I got it. After initial inspection the reports of similarities between the new fujis is glaring. But then you do notice some differences. It will be fun to sort out performance differences on these two.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

This has been fun to read and catch up on. It sucks that I missed Kevin’s sell thread on his MM though. I really want one in that profile to compare to the current one I have.
J david

Post by J david »

Well, I got Kevin's MM while I had the passaround MM and the passaround Fuji. My thoughts on these were similar to some, and I was thinking "if this MM were a little taller, I think I would prefer it over the Fuji". That is exactly what Kevin's MM is. It is a bit heavier than the fuji while being very thin where it counts and has a better tip than the passaround fuji. (The passaround MM had a better (thinner) tip than the fuji as well).

The passaround MM and the one I got from Kevin are pretty different, though. There seems to be a big variance in this line, at least in height - 4mm between the two I have handled. This does make them handle differently.

In the end, I think I've found the closest thing to a laser that I enjoy using in the MM. If I had to choose between this MM and the Fuji, the choice is clear to me. I'm happy with what I ended up with.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Know the holidays put a little speed bump in the works but we need to finish this out and try and get this knife to Ethan around the end of the month.
All the comments and feedback on this knife have been appreciated, hope to hear/see even more!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I'm headed back tonight ;) ready to get back in the kitchen, and back to my knives!
Though, I must admit that the 26-year-old Wustof I've been using on vacation at our hosts' home has performed admirably, with surprisingly good food release, and plenty of distal taper on those 8"
But now it's time for some MM joy :D
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Got it this morning, excellently packaged and oiled.
On very initial impressions I'd say it's feels/handles quite different than the Fuji I've got.
More to come
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

So,

This knife is about to head out, and, well, it was a pleasure. Thank you very, very much, Mark and Ethan, for a crack at such a blade!

What should I say? Very recently I jumped the trigger an got a Fuji after the passaround Fuji blue my mind.
I read someone say that the MM and the FM preform very similarly, and I think I can confirm it. Having cut with both of them, I think one might really sense the presence/work of the same sharpener. There's a certain flow-through-product that is just singing the same tune. Not the same voice, if you will, but it's the same song.
I can echo what was said earlier and recommend that anyone interested in a knife that'll cause you to gush and dawdle as you cut, feel free to pick either an MM or an FM according profile/price/availability. The differences in how the two cut are felt very slightly. They're there, but both knives are simply phenomenal.
Soft product is like air, whether pushing, pulling, or draw-cutting... too easy :)
Hard products, like big carrots, sweet-pots, and a squash.. they really let the MM sing. Even my wife noticed and admired the zipper-like sound it makes going through a large carrot.
It was so much fun that I pulled out every knife on the magnet to listen to them cut. The MM & FM really stand apart from the rest, where my previously favored knife for hard-produce was a Gassan B#2 (it makes a rather quiet, smooth sffffftk, but still a little more effort needed over the two Konos).

The MM is shorter at the heel (than my FM), and makes for a wonderful profile that's easy to wield on anything that comes on the cutting board.
Assuming this knife wasn't sharpened by anyone before it came to me (?) and only stropped, the edge-retention seems great. Albeit I didn't really get to do a "week's worth" of cooking due to big portions and leftovers all over the place. The most I got out of it was a ground-beef+squash/onion/garlic dish I served with rice, and then just last night all this prep (see photo) for a veggie lasagna my wife made today. Turned out great :D
MM Blue#2.jpg
Fit and finish on this knife is beautiful, from the handle, through the immaculately polished choil, to the brilliant spine. Fantastic! catches the light as I cut, and just enhances the overall food-prep experience.
Overall aesthetics are simple and understated. The patina quickly covers up whatever finish the knife came with (different tones show up irregularly). Wife said "it's not a beautiful knife," and I agreed with her. We both enjoy a little more frills (hammering, damascus, etc.)
On that note, if anyone has a fuji damascus they're willing to get money for, I made end up selling my Tanaka, Fuji, and whatever else I'll stop using, just for the pleasure... :mrgreen:
Thanks again for
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thanks for the comments Dan. As far as sharpening/edge retention, I think Kevin hit the edge with a Chosera 800 and 3k and that was 3 users before you. That's the only comments I remember as far as sharpening goes. I used the OOTB edge and at the end of the week I just stropped it on leather loaded with 1u CBN and the edge was screaming again.

Ray, you're up next and then it's home to Ethan.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Cool!
Looking forward to this very much.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 pm Thanks for the comments Dan. As far as sharpening/edge retention, I think Kevin hit the edge with a Chosera 800 and 3k and that was 3 users before you. That's the only comments I remember as far as sharpening goes. I used the OOTB edge and at the end of the week I just stropped it on leather loaded with 1u CBN and the edge was screaming again.

Apparently I submitted that review without finishing of the last line :roll:

Thanks again for the pleasure, and for this whole institution called "Passarounds." People are astounded when I explain this to them ;)

If it has indeed been sharpened, it was beautifully done!
Ray, if it's alright with you I'll send it as is. Most of the blade is razor, but the sweep towards the tip could use some stropping, and I'd rather let you handle it. I'll just box it and drop it off today :)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Thanks Dan.
I assume you have my shipping details.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 am
Jeff B wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 pm Thanks for the comments Dan. As far as sharpening/edge retention, I think Kevin hit the edge with a Chosera 800 and 3k and that was 3 users before you. That's the only comments I remember as far as sharpening goes. I used the OOTB edge and at the end of the week I just stropped it on leather loaded with 1u CBN and the edge was screaming again.

Thanks again for the pleasure, and for this whole institution called "Passarounds." People are astounded when I explain this to them ;)

Ray, if it's alright with you I'll send it as is. Most of the blade is razor, but the sweep towards the tip could use some stropping, and I'd rather let you handle it. I'll just box it and drop it off today :)
Nice review, Dan! I'm sure J David sharpened it. I don't think anyone would ever call my sharpening "beautifully done". :lol:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

The bevel is so fine it's almost invisible!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Knife arrived safely.
Let the cutting begin!
J david

Post by J david »

ashy2classy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm
Altadan wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 am

Nice review, Dan! I'm sure J David sharpened it. I don't think anyone would ever call my sharpening "beautifully done". :lol:
Ha! Don't sell yourself short. The knife was plenty sharp when I got it. All I did was strop it IIRC.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Same here......a brief strop and it was ready to rock and roll :D
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

This pass around has concluded and the MM should be home with Ethan before the end of the week. I know Ray is very busy for the next week or so but I hope he stops back in to give some final thoughts on this amazing piece of cutlery!

Many thanks to Mark and especially Ethan for this excellent experience. I hope we were able to shed a little light on this great offering from Konosuke for those interested and potential buyers.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I'll be baaaack!!!!!