Passaround - Mazaki White #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefspence

Re: Passaround - Mazaki White #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm

Post by Chefspence »

Shit that was quick! Fine I’ll just buy my own :)
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Aright, I think this is the order. Knife should be here next Thursday. If anyone needs to change for some reason let me know. This is sort of a counterclockwise tour around the country.

-Me
-pd7077
-slobound
-CacahuateSommelier
-igalor
-altadan
-ogerbash
-cutuu
-Dan_Crubenew
-ashy2classy
slobound

Post by slobound »

Hooray!!!
-- Garrick
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Alright, so I received this today. First up, a few measurements.

Weight: 217 g
Height @ heel: 53.5mm
Edge length: 245mm
Spine thickness @ handle: 5.5mm
Spine thickness @ heel: 4.7mm
Spine thickness @ 1/2way: 2.0mm
Spine thickness near tip: 0.5mm

I had the hairline version of this knife for a while and didn't really connect with it for a few reasons. It was around 220g but really blade heavy and the overall profile was very santoku-like. I sold it, otherwise I'd compare here a bit more.

After that, I bought the new JNS version and really really like that one. Mine is around 197g and pretty thin behind the edge, with a very pointed profile.

I probably shouldn't draw too many conclusions from single examples, but this particular kurouchi Mazaki seems like a blend of the above mentioned knives to me. Even though the weight is similar to my old hairline, it is balanced closer to the handle because of the more extreme distal taper and feels more like the JNS in hand. The profile is also pointier than the hairline, but not quite as much as the JNS. It has a generous flat spot but the tip rises to give more of a belly on the front 2/3. I like the feel of this knife a lot more than the hairline, but so far not quite as much as the JNS (but close).

Out of the box the KU finish had a few missing spots. I gave it a vigorous washing and the finish didn't seem to come off at all, but time will tell how robust it is. OOTB edge had a bit of a burr but a bit of a stropping and it was good to go.

Here are a few pics.
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg
Here it is next to the new JNS to compare the profile. I don't really mean for this whole exercise to just be a comparison to the JNS version, but that's just what I happen to have.
IMG_2078.jpeg
Last edited by Bluenoser87 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Kanji is subtle, but there
IMG_2079.jpeg
IMG_2080.jpeg
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Distal taper (KU on left, JNS on right). This KU knife has a much more extreme taper compared to the more linear taper of the JNS. The KU knife is thicker along the spine at the handle and thinner throughout most of the length compared to the JNS.
IMG_2072.jpeg
KU choil
IMG_2074.jpeg
JNS choil
IMG_2075.jpeg
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I'll post some more thoughts as I use this through the week. I made some mirepoix tonight just for the sake of cutting up a bunch of stuff and my first impressions are pretty positive. It's a relatively heavy knife but the balance (right on pinch grip for me) makes the weight pretty much unnoticeable. A bit subjective, but for me it's pretty comfortable to use and cuts well.

My only real complaints so far are the handle and the food release. Just like the hairline version, the handle is strangely small for the size of the knife though the weight balance seems spot on. I think it's really just a visual complaint to be honest. The handle fit/finish is much better on this copy compared to the hairline I had (no step at the ferrule) so maybe this is just a better copy or the quality improved. Food release is nothing to write home about, but I'm curious if it's just the KU finish causing that. The finish has a very matte feel and food seems to stick to it a lot. I suspect this will get smoother over time, but will have to wait to hear from some of the folks further down the pass around list.

Also, a little off topic, but this is the first time I've made mirepoix just on its own to add to other things (as opposed to making it purposely for a soup or whatever). I added it to some white rice and it was absolutely amazing. I see even more onion/carrot/celery dicing in my future...
IMG_2089.jpeg
IMG_2090.jpg
IMG_2091.jpeg
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

And finally, as I was using this I was thinking the reactivity was a lot less than the other Mazakis I've used. After cleaning up and drying off the knife though I was left with a nice blue patina. So, it looks about on par with the others. More to come next week.
IMG_2096.jpeg
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Sounds like a good comparison. It sounds almost like one could narrow down the difference between this KU and JNS version to aesthetics and very slight balance/tip/performance differences that might turn out - as the passaround progresses - be more idiosyncratic.

I currently own a Gassan that has the same santoku shape (though only 215mm) and I love it, but with I do share your sentiments for the old model with the low tip; at 240mm, and the grind it had (which was not as thin as they come), I would rather have more curve. I'm Looking forward to handling this one! :)
Love that cutting board!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Just curious, is this one the stainless clad version? Or the iron clad version. I know he’s produced both types, and In didn’t see mention of either on the CKTG site
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

This one is definitely not stainless. It’s pretty reactive.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Cool, good to hear
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Alright, the knife is now with Steve. I’m curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

After using it for a little over a week I’m left with a pretty positive impression. Everything just seems a little better compared to the hairline I had, even if what I consider “better” is subjective. The profile is a little more usable, the balance is more comfortable, and it’s thinner behind the edge. You could do a lot worse for $240 I think. I didn’t end up sharpening it but I’m curious how this will fare. The hairline wasn’t the easiest to sharpen IMO
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Thanks for dropping off the knife, Jon. It was super cool meeting you today, and I hope you have fun with my loaner knife 😉

My initial impressions of the knife are favorable, and I look forward to putting her to the test this week. I’ll start off with the current edge, and seeing as how I’m only the second person to use the knife, I don’t think that I’ll need to do more than a quick touch up on a finishing stone.

The knife weighs in at 216g (7-5/8 oz) with a balance point 1-1/4” ahead of the heel. I feel the same as Jon with regards to the handle; it feels tiny, but we’ll see how it works out after a week of use.
--- Steve
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

pd7077 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm Thanks for dropping off the knife, Jon. It was super cool meeting you today, and I hope you have fun with my loaner knife 😉

My initial impressions of the knife are favorable, and I look forward to putting her to the test this week. I’ll start off with the current edge, and seeing as how I’m only the second person to use the knife, I don’t think that I’ll need to do more than a quick touch up on a finishing stone.

The knife weighs in at 216g (7-5/8 oz) with a balance point 1-1/4” ahead of the heel. I feel the same as Jon with regards to the handle; it feels tiny, but we’ll see how it works out after a week of use.
Very nice to meet you today too! And thanks a lot for the loaner. This should be fun. I kind of hope I don’t like it too much or 2019 could get expensive...
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 pm
pd7077 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm Thanks for dropping off the knife, Jon. It was super cool meeting you today, and I hope you have fun with my loaner knife 😉

Very nice to meet you today too! And thanks a lot for the loaner. This should be fun. I kind of hope I don’t like it too much or 2019 could get expensive...
Quit being coy, what's the new toy? I agree about the handle feeling small, if it's the same handle as the hairline.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 am Quit being coy, what's the new toy? I agree about the handle feeling small, if it's the same handle as the hairline.
Shig 270. I only used it a bit tonight but already I can understand some of the hype around these. This is the first Shig I’ve handled. It’s got the food release of a Takeda without any of the wedginess. Very cool of Steve to let me take it for a spin.

On the Mazaki handle, it is the same size as the one on the hairline. The hairline was balanced so blade heavy that it made the handle seem even smaller somehow. On this KU Mazaki the balance is much better so even though visually it looks tiny the handle weight is ok, at least for my preferences.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:24 pm I'll post some more thoughts as I use this through the week. I made some mirepoix tonight just for the sake of cutting up a bunch of stuff and my first impressions are pretty positive. It's a relatively heavy knife but the balance (right on pinch grip for me) makes the weight pretty much unnoticeable. A bit subjective, but for me it's pretty comfortable to use and cuts well.

My only real complaints so far are the handle and the food release. Just like the hairline version, the handle is strangely small for the size of the knife though the weight balance seems spot on. I think it's really just a visual complaint to be honest. The handle fit/finish is much better on this copy compared to the hairline I had (no step at the ferrule) so maybe this is just a better copy or the quality improved. Food release is nothing to write home about, but I'm curious if it's just the KU finish causing that. The finish has a very matte feel and food seems to stick to it a lot. I suspect this will get smoother over time, but will have to wait to hear from some of the folks further down the pass around list.

Also, a little off topic, but this is the first time I've made mirepoix just on its own to add to other things (as opposed to making it purposely for a soup or whatever). I added it to some white rice and it was absolutely amazing. I see even more onion/carrot/celery dicing in my future...

IMG_2089.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpeg
Thanks for sharing some of your initial thoughts. Really looking forward to making a similar comparison to my “new to me” JNS copy.
-- Garrick
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I’ll be sending the knife out to Garrick tomorrow, and I’ll make sure to get my write-up of the knife done in the next few days. Thanks Jon!!!
--- Steve
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I think we’ll change the order a bit and put Dean at the end if he stills wants in. I can’t seem to get a hold of him

-Me
-pd7077
-slobound
-igalor
-altadan
-ogerbash
-cutuu
-Dan_Crubenew
-ashy2classy
-CacahuateSommelier