WTB or WTT : Honesuki

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Bensbites

WTB or WTT : Honesuki

Post by Bensbites »

I am doing more and more home butchery, I want to bring in a knife that is made for that kind of work. I am happy to pay by PayPal or trade on my woodworking skills.

Thanks
Ben
chefDpham

Re: WTB or WTT : Honesuki

Post by chefDpham »

HI Ben, message me I have one for you if you want.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZwTR-hBDuh/
Check out my collection and my work on Instagram d.phamblades
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

PM sent. Let’s see what else you guys have! Has anyone started off with one and upgraded?
sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

I have a Koishi I might be willing to part with. I really like it. Just don't use it very much. PM me if interested.
--Tony
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

sharksfan7 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm I have a Koishi I might be willing to part with. I really like it. Just don't use it very much. PM me if interested.
My guess is that is too nice for me. I would baby it, and I want something I can breakdown a chicken, and not worry about.
schools out

Post by schools out »

For what its worth, I started like many, entering the world of Japanese knives with Shuns and Tojiro DP's. About 20 mid to high end Japanese carbon knives later, I have only kept one of my VG10's, my Tojiro DP honesuki. Do I use it often? No. When I do need it is it nice? absolutely. The Tojiro in my mind is the perfect size, fit and weight for when it is needed. As someone who only owns Wa handles I am glad that the one knife that gets smothered in chicken juice and handled by my "chicken paws" is a western with a composite wood handle. It performs as intended and doesn't break the bank.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todputkn15.html
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I have an artifex that i like. Its cheap and pretty tough. Works well. Ive always shyed away from a really hard steel and expensive honesuki. Although they interest me. Ive always been curious about tbe moritaka one.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've never had a problem with hard carbon steels breaking down chickens. As long as your not doing something totally reckless it's no problem. Most J-knives are not nearly as delicate as made out to be. I've broke down spare ribs St. Louis style with a 63Hrc AS steel gyuto without any problems.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:07 am I've never had a problem with hard carbon steels breaking down chickens. As long as your not doing something totally reckless it's no problem. Most J-knives are not nearly as delicate as made out to be. I've broke down spare ribs St. Louis style with a 63Hrc AS steel gyuto without any problems.
Thanks for the advice.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

The Tojiro DP is great bang for the buck. I use mine whenever I have poultry to process.
work3fish4

Post by work3fish4 »

I have an artifex that I would sell cheap. Duller than shit right now, but you or I can fix that. I went back to a curved blade victronox boning knife. Kinda like it
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

work3fish4 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 pm I have an artifex that I would sell cheap. Duller than shit right now, but you or I can fix that. I went back to a curved blade victronox boning knife. Kinda like it
Pm sent
delmar

Post by delmar »

Grab the kanehide bessaku. 65 bucks. Performs well, well beyond that. Supposed to he dame semi stainless as TKC.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

delmar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:29 pm Grab the kanehide bessaku. 65 bucks. Performs well, well beyond that. Supposed to he dame semi stainless as TKC.
I am looking at a artifex Honesuki or a Munetoshi Wa-butcher...
delmar

Post by delmar »

I'd take the bessaku over the artifex personally. I own 3 artifex and they have their purpose. But the bessaku has better steel for the application...will keep an edge longer and a bit easier to sharpen. The AEBL in the Artifex is just fine, but pretty darn dead feel.

Just me $0.02 worth
gladius

Post by gladius »

delmar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 pm I'd take the bessaku over the artifex personally. I own 3 artifex and they have their purpose. But the bessaku has better steel for the application...will keep an edge longer and a bit easier to sharpen. The AEBL in the Artifex is just fine, but pretty darn dead feel.

Just me $0.02 worth
—-
+1
Bessaku over Artifex and the Munetoshi over both.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

gladius wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:17 pm
delmar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 pm I'd take the bessaku over the artifex personally. I own 3 artifex and they have their purpose. But the bessaku has better steel for the application...will keep an edge longer and a bit easier to sharpen. The AEBL in the Artifex is just fine, but pretty darn dead feel.

Just me $0.02 worth
—-
+1

That is my gut. I am trying to do my research as well. Thank you for the advice.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

I haven't tried the asymmetrical Bessaku, but I own two honesuki: one 50/50 (Takeda) and one asymmetrical (Hattori). I prefer the asymmetrical style when I'm breaking down or deboning chickens.

For $65, it doesn't seem like you could go wrong.
snipes

Post by snipes »

delmar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:29 pm Grab the kanehide bessaku. 65 bucks. Performs well, well beyond that. Supposed to he dame semi stainless as TKC.
This is what I just did. Showed up earlier this week along with a saya. Haven't used it yet, but I have a feeling it will fill the bill nicely. Almost bought a whole chicken this morning simply to break it down and put on the smoker. Ended up buying ribs instead. :) Like others said $65 and well thought of in the space.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

gladius wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Just me $0.02 worth
—-
+1
Advice taken. Hopefully I will have the Munetoshi this week.