WTS/T Ikeda AS sumanigishi “KS” 250mm

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Inhuman

WTS/T Ikeda AS sumanigishi “KS” 250mm

Post by Inhuman »

Takumi Ikeda Aogami Super 250mm gyuto , KS profile . This knife Is no longer made . Most of those that were , were much shorter at the heel.
255mm heel to tip
51mm tall at the heel
6.5oz weight
Spine above the heel 2.58mm
Spine half way to the tip 1.75mm
Spine 1 cm from the tip 0.8mm

I got this from J David around 6 months ago . It was in a rotation for a while but ultimately I’ve been trying lots of knives in this time period and it didn’t see that much use .

Refinished and blade road evened out by Jdavid , Alton installed a killer ebony and buckeye Burl semi custom Schroeder , really balances the knife out very well. It is laser thin, stiff until the last inch or so , and it’s just spectral through softer product . The edge retention is phenomenal , even at higher polish . The distal taper is on point . For a longer knife , it feels super nimble in hand .

Full disclosure, i have $420 into it.

I am asking $350, shipped, insured CONUS , fees covered, with an edro saya .

I am looking to trade it for a suji 210-240 , or anything interesting . No single bevel or cleaver , please :)

Last edited by Inhuman on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
salemj

Re: WTS/T Ikeda AS sumanigishi “KS” 250mm

Post by salemj »

My version of this knife (which is less tall at the heel) is a phenomenal cutter. I also put in some "extra" work into it to customize it in some ways, but I have to say, there was never anything at all wrong with the grind: a phenomenal workhorse that is still thin at the edge with a tall grind that performs through just about everything with retention to boot. Despite being fully reactive, it is NOT that reactive.

This one looks special with the upgrades. I imagine this is a stellar knife. I'd say it is highly underrated, except that I feel like every time I read someone who has actually used one, they immediately admit these are fantastic cutters...so maybe under-appreciated is better than underrated. Here you are paying a bit for the cosmetics, but I still feel like this is a knife that just performs well at virtually any level in a pro environment. GLWS. Hope this helps.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Joe , I’ve read your posts extensively with regards to this blade .
You’re right , I do think it’s under appreciated . This knife was a game changer for me .

Paying a bit for the cosmetics , yes ! But also a knife that’s just not available and probably never will be again. This is a sleeper , and not produced in great number . Takumi is a very talented young smith , and I’ve a hunch it was sharpened by Shibata.

Besides, My price is more for a trade value, as that’s what I’d rather do 😀
salemj

Post by salemj »

^^^Absolutely. Fully support the price, btw. Didn't mean to sow any confusion in that respect—the opposite, in fact! I think it is easy for people to forget just how much a good custom handle and additional work on a blade actually cost.

I find the Ikeda Damascus has just enough nickel (I presume) to take a wonderful patina: tends to shift toward blues and is slow to react, too. I think that the work you had done seems to have brought out a bit more of the character of the Damascus higher on the blade face than "stock," or perhaps you just got lucky with some polishing!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Hmm I am very interested in this knife just don't know that I have anything that would interest you in a trade.
Dave Kinogie

Post by Dave Kinogie »

Man, I have this same knife without the custom handle(mine with the bubinga and wenge), I believe mine is also a hair shorter at the heel and have been thinking about selling it because I have realized I just don't love long blades, 220ish is my limit and my preferred is 200 to 210, but every time one of these comes up in discussion or for sale I remember what an excellent cutter and performer it is and how rare they are and can't get myself to do it. I will say though, mine is very reactive. The patina it builds is beautiful, but you have to be extremely careful to keep it bone dry. Then again, I never really used it enough to build a proper patina on it for protection to calm it down.
Though again, the praises for the actual cutting ability of this knife can't be understated and the F&F on mine was excellent, though I bought mine on the boards here years ago and the original owner may have put the work in themselves to clean it up, I can't recall. Food release was excellent on mine as well.
Whoever trades or buys yours is in for a treat.
delmar

Post by delmar »

I love my Ikeda KS. I've been thinking about picking up a 2nd one as a back up to store. It is a crazy good cutter and the damascus is done well but respectably understated. And it the patina shapes up nicer than any blade I have. I carved up a rib roast (rare) and left the blade coated on the board for a half hour. Gorgeous blues and purples.

GLWS. That's a special knife may never see in production again. Handle is a looker too.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Mine is hardly reactive . Barely !
Thanks for he kind words guys .

I really need a suji with better retention for work !
I’d consider a jnat as well . Thanks !
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

One and only drop, $325 all in
J david

Post by J david »

Inhuman wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:03 pm One and only drop, $325 all in
Oh, my. Great price with that handle. This is a good knife, folks. I'm tempted to own it again, and probably would if I had the funds.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

SPF !
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Inhuman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pmSPF !
Thank you!! :lol:
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.