Suisin Inox Gyuto 240mm - SOLD!

This is a free service where you can buy and sell knives and sharpening equipment and kitchen tools. There is no fee for posting items but we require that you've made at least 30 posts on our forum before you post something for sale.
Forum rules
As stated in the description, we want to get to know you better before allowing new forum members to post items for sale. You will not be able to create topics until you reach a 30 post minimum. Please take your time and contribute to the forum discussions in a substantive way. SPAM posting to reach 30 posts is considered very bad form and could get you booted off these forums.

NOTE: If you have an item for sale and you are located outside the Continental U.S. please state your location so the buyer knows what to expect in a purchase transaction.
salemj

Suisin Inox Gyuto 240mm - SOLD!

Post by salemj » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Suisin Inox “Honyaki” 240mm

Bought this used on the CKTG forum. Only issue was saya was missing a pin, otherwise, knife was sold mint, used six times at home and never sharpened, and it arrived in pristine condition. It has seen far less than the equivalent of a single day of pro use including its time in my kitchen. I have touched up the edge with light strokes at finer grits.

Approx 234mm x >49mm x 149 grams.

This knife still looks and acts mint—I’m not sure a careful examination could even distinguish it from new, although I’ve oiled the handle. I got a great deal on it and am willing to pass on the savings (I paid extra for shipping, fees and currency costs on top of the listed forum price and will also have to pay additional costs going the other way, so I’ve bumped it back to 300). It is a terrific knife but as my recent sales show, I have too many knives and have made several major purchases recently that need funding.

Although this knife is rarely discussed on the “new” forum, it was and remains a star and has been compared favourably (even preferentially) to the HD over the years by the likes of Jon B, Malampus, and others. You can add me to that list for a truer 240 profile, more comfortable handle for larger hands (mine are not), an even stronger sense of precision, and an even easier to work with steel (if less versatile) steel. The steel in particular is not better, but rather different, from HD, although I’d rank it ahead of Kono’s SS that I’ve used; rumor has it that it is easier to work with but does not take as refined of an edge as HD, but actually has better retention in a professional kitchen (Jon B).

Indeed, even as a lover of Konosukes, I have seriously debated keeping this knife and selling my 240 HD given that I also have a few of 240mm Fujiyamas.

That said, my HD has an old-school ebony handle and is a Funayuki-Gyuto, so that one is staying home for now. Plus, the steel is also more fun to play with on the HD as a home cook, whereas the steel in Suisin would probably shine more as a one-and-only home knife or as a professional line knife. And while I love knives like these enough to want to keep both, the Suisin is actually longer and slightly taller than I like - closer to a “true” 240 out of the two, so I haven’t been reaching for it at all.

$300 + half of estimated shipping costs, or about 20% off new. This is slightly more than I paid to reflected added shipping and currency costs. Discounted shipping and currency adjustment savings for Canadians.

Pictures from today:
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

gladius

Re: WTS: Suisin Inox Gyuto 240mm

Post by gladius » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 am

Even factoring in currency and shipping cost, that is a good price for a good knife. It has a nimble feel, a good general purpose profile and a nice tapered handle. It does have better edge retention but the HD2 is finer grained and gets sharper. GLWS.

salemj

Post by salemj » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks, Gladius. A Canadian would see a real treat here, too, OR if someone wants to bundle with the TF or Richmond I have on the market, that also means instant savings and price reductions—I'll pass it all on directly.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

salemj

Post by salemj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:32 am

Bump. No price drop. If you want the knife, feel free to PM an offer. Otherwise, I know the value of a knife and I'd rather give it as a gift than deflate the market in the classifieds for something this solid.
~Joe

delmar

Post by delmar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:55 am

A laser. No need to compare to others. Stands on its own. If I didn't have a half dozen 240s at 2.5 mm or under, I'd be interested. GLWS

Solera621

Post by Solera621 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 am

How has no one picked this up yet?

salemj

Post by salemj » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 am

Good question. Great knife. There are other options at this price range, but they all represent other things. Otherwise, the only real competition for a top-flight mono-steel laser that performs anywhere near this level is a Konosuke HD or SS, and the advantages I list for the Suisin for certain users are real and pronounced in use.

Still accepting offers via PM.
~Joe

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:58 pm

salemj wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 am
Good question. Great knife. There are other options at this price range, but they all represent other things. Otherwise, the only real competition for a top-flight mono-steel laser that performs anywhere near this level is a Konosuke HD or SS, and the advantages I list for the Suisin for certain users are real and pronounced in use.

Still accepting offers via PM.
Tempt me not

salemj

Post by salemj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Transaction completed. Mods, please remove/mark as sold.
~Joe