Y. Ikeda Honyaki - SOLD!

Here you can research prices of sold items.
salemj

Y. Ikeda Honyaki - SOLD!

Post by salemj »

Honyaki Sale

For sale is a Y. Ikeda W#2 240mm Mizu Honyaki with burnt chestnut handle. Actuals: 233mm x >48+mm @190 grams. Balance point 1"+ from heel

This knife was bought used from the original owner. It had a microchip at the tip (see detail below from his original post—yes, that is an image of the chip, NOT the fix!!), which was fixed by Jon at JKI, who also replaced the handle and thinned and polished the whole knife.

I have since used the knife on a handful of cuts: a few cuke slices, an onion dice, half a carrot, and some cherry tomatoes, and perhaps a potato—essentially 3-4 cuts on a few ingredients while actually cooking with other knives as a comparison. Upon trying to cut a tomato, I realized Jon had polished the whole knife and edge, but that there was no visible bevel—while it cut paper, it didn’t do well on skins. After corresponding with Jon, I took it to the stones to try to put a base, primary edge in the mid-range just so I could test the knife. It has that edge currently—an unrefined, workable edge that is essentially incomplete.

The knife is an excellent rendition of this smith and his style (I’ve seen other versions in-person). While I like this smith, I do not think I like this style of blade in a honyaki—I think I would prefer a honyaki that felt more like a laser...or, frankly, no honyakis. As it is, this is a knife that is better for chopping, rocking, and separation than for slicing cuts.

In other ways, this is about as good as an entry-level honyaki gets: a master-smith, a beautiful, unique Hamon line, a very good, consistent grind that is thin at the edge but robust near the spine, and an extremely versatile, generally wonderful profile, size, and feel on the board. Its actual measurements are about 230x49mm, and it has a very traditional gyuto profile for this size: a workable, flatter heel, a consistent curve to the tip, and a tip that is pointed enough for detail work when necessary, all without too much belly.

I received a fantastic deal on this knife, and I will pass that on with one exception: shipping. Cost is 1000 USD. I would like to buyer to cover shipping costs from Victoria, BC, Canada, which will vary wildly depending on distance and insurance (30-60 CAD).

First picture is of actual chip before fix; next set from before use; lowest set after basic sharpening and use. The knife has lost a touch of polish from use, but the pictures show that it still clearly has a wonderful, clear mirror polish from Jon and that any minor cosmetic issues are par for the course of any knife. This knife is very, very close to as-received direct from refurbishment.

Yes, those are my window drapes from this morning!! Cool effect...
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
bladesaffair

Re: Y. Ikeda Honyaki

Post by bladesaffair »

PM incoming
delmar

Post by delmar »

Whoa boy. Tasty
appleton

Post by appleton »

An incredible knife! Per chance, do you know who the sharpener is Salemj?
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

This thing is bonkers. I was drooling when you first posted it to the new knife thread. GLWS!
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

appleton wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 pm An incredible knife! Per chance, do you know who the sharpener is Salemj?
Joe indicated that Jon at JNI sharpened the knife. I bought a Sujihiki from Jon and had him sharpen it before he sent it to me and the edge excellent.
appleton

Post by appleton »

jacko9 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 pm
Joe indicated that Jon at JNI sharpened the knife. I bought a Sujihiki from Jon and had him sharpen it before he sent it to me and the edge excellent.
My mistake, I meant to ask who the original sharpener is. I was wondering if Mr. Ikeda collaborated with a sharpener when making the knife, and who it was?
salemj

Post by salemj »

I don't know the Japanese sharpener. I think it is known, but I didn't try to keep track this information. My sense is that it is the "normal" sharpener for Y. Ikeda's honyaki from Bernal...I can try to check and see if I have it on record.

Knife is still available. PM is in regards to trade (under consideration), but would prefer purchase.

Thanks for the support. I want to be very clear (and others will support me on this): this knife is what you would expect given the names involved. My lack of interest is based on very personal preferences. I have plenty of money tied up in knives at this point, so if something doesn't click exactly right in terms of ITK work, I let it go—I'm not interested in investment/profit/collecting unless I feel a knife may have a place in my working kitchen, nor do I ever buy a knife with the intention of flipping—I try to advertise how, when, and why I bought it, and I also try to respect the market by under underselling or overselling knives. In this case, I would normally sell it for more given market prices, but since it was a recent purchase and I deeply respect the original seller and Jon's work, I want to be very clear that I am not flipping for a profit or trying to take advantage of prior circumstances.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

The price that Joe is selling at is the exact opposite of a flip. This is one thing that I really love about this group. For those that are not too familiar with Yoshikazu Ikeda’s knives, Joe’s price is a great value. If you search online, a Y. Ikeda oil quenched W#3 honyaki will go for about the same price. A W#2 water quenched in the 210mm format will run just shy of $1200, which makes Joe’s offering nothing short of a steal. Joe, kudos to you for being such a standup member of this community!!!
--- Steve
yg420

Post by yg420 »

I am the og owner and can confirm this knife is nothing short of amazing! I would not have sold it but i received the same knife in a different steel. I also agree that the proce is a steal as well. I dont think Jon thinned it, but he did polish it up and he also put on a premium burnt chestnut handle which is a MAJOR upgrade to the og handle. All in all, the knife can go for much more as previously stated, whoever gets this knife will be happy they did.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Thanks guys for the support! FYI, Yg420, Jon was quite specific that he thinned it in private correspondence to me, but that obviously doesn't mean it was something you asked for or that he mentioned otherwise" "on that knife, we actually did a bit of thinning too, along with the refinishing." I just wanted to be clear about it for anyone interested in the knife here, to make sure there isn't any confusion.

YG420 was fantastic in the sale. This is really an example of "passing on" good karma, if I may.
~J

chefDpham

Post by chefDpham »

I want to buy this so bad!! Only if I didn't buy 3 honyaki recently i would be all over this knife! I still might buy it if it's still around in a few days. GLWS!
Check out my collection and my work on Instagram d.phamblades
Slimbrady

Post by Slimbrady »

You interested in trades at all? Or just money.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Sorry, long day at work. I'm trying to touch base with a couple people in order of receipt. I am interested in money over trades as I'm trying to make room in my block!
~J

salemj

Post by salemj »

Again, sorry for the delays on updates—work has been agonizing! The knife is sold and shipped. Mods., please mark as sold or delete the tread.

Thank you all for your support and interest!
~J

Spipet

Post by Spipet »

I (read: my bank account) am so glad someone took this knife...
Jeff B

Re: Y. Ikeda Honyaki - SOLD!

Post by Jeff B »

Great sale Joe, this is the type knife I can only dream about right now...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I wonder how long I will spend regretting this :(
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

On a roll this week aren't you Ray!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Oh I didn't buy it Jeff. Coulda...shoulda....but didn't. This is a brilliant knife that was sold at a really fair and friendly price. Kudos to Joe.