Spring Cleaning Sale Part 1

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Lepus

Spring Cleaning Sale Part 1

Post by Lepus »

I am fortunate right now that I own only knives I want to own, but sadly I cannot find time to use them all. Blade and my cleaver month have me wanting to trim down. I will be putting up three or four batches of knives to see what I can get back into use. All knives will come with the edge as listed and with any of the always natural patina that appears in the pictures unless the buyer would like me to touch it up or remove the patina, which I am happy to do. Some knives which I acquired as projects are available as is and I'll give you the skinny prior to purchase. All prices are for PayPal, Goods and Services, with shipping included. If you would like other pictures, images, or specific impressions, feel free to ask. Combined shipping will provide standard discounts and knives will ship in the boxes that appear in the pictures; I think I'm only going to be trying to sell one knife without a box.

I would rather see all of these knives move along and will consider reasonable offers, but as I am in no hurry I may hold out for asking price. Trades for any type of knife are welcome and in many cases preferred with cash added as needed; I particularly welcome offers for sujihikis, medium range pocket knives, and smaller gyutos, santokus, or bunkas, but the door is open to most things. This is only after all going to further feed my knife habit.

I took choil and spine shots of this batch, but they didn't turn out well, so I'll be taking a few more tomorrow in some real light.

Munetoshi petty in white #2, $70. I like this knife a lot, but I don't use it since I have a Gihei I like a little bit better in really every way.

Gihei 240mm gyuto in aogami #2, $170. This is an amazing knife for a pro kitchen, and in fact it prompted me to buy the petty, but it doesn't see much use in the face of my Watanabe. I reviewed it here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4341&p=35610 and will be sad to see it go, but the knife deserves to be used.

Kanehiro 240mm gyuto, $215. This is a weird one. I bought this knife a year or so ago from CKTG in the closeout section. It was apparently originally bought by someone else, tested, microchipped, and returned. The original buyer found it to be chip prone, and perhaps that was so for them, but I have had no such problems. If the buyer picks it up and finds the knife to be chip prone, I'll give a refund on return of the knife, but I don't think that will be an issue. The other caveat is that I bought this knife as the aogami super version, but... uh, it doesn't patina. I think it's the ginsan? I don't really know, but it sure cuts like a Hiroshi Kato knife! Here's your chance to inherit a mystery!

Last edited by Lepus on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensbites

Re: Spring Cleaning Sale Part 1

Post by Bensbites »

Just out of curiosity, I don’t see the steel type and model listed for the Kohetsu 240mm gyuto. I have more money heading to wood and tools, otherwise I would be curious about one or two of these.

Good luck with the sale!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Rob may have meant Kanehiro. Sure looks like my Kanehiro ginsan 240.
Jeffry B
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:18 am Rob may have meant Kanehiro. Sure looks like my Kanehiro ginsan 240.
I thought the same thing.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Whoop, yes, it is a Kanehiro. Bad place for a typo.

The reason for not listing the steel type is in there.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Kanehiro AS or ginsan, it's a great knife. I've used the AS and own the ginsan. I think the Kanehiro line is one of finest sold on CKTG. Underrated even. Excellent all-round performance, masterful grind, great looks, good fit and finish. Nice price for one of these.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

If someone has both the AS and Ginsan you could compare the boxes. Maybe the are different. If you look at Kato (Hiroshi or Yoshimi) knives in general he uses different boxes from line to line. Most have that little fellow down at the bottom in a different stance or a different symbol or a different pattern to the box etc. I could not find a picture of the Ginsan box online but that one looks like what I found for the AS.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

At one point I went to rather extreme efforts to get the knife to oxidize. It is not aogami super.
J david

Post by J david »

Pm sent on the Mune
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

As is I suppose the nature of the beast I was asked what else will be available. I have not put together pictures, price, etc on the following yet, but if you are interested for the sake of saving on shipping or because as part of a larger trade let me know and I will speed their presentation. If you want to buy just one, rest assured, I will present them soon.

* Moritaka 240mm gyuto, thinned
* Kanehide Bessaku 270mm sujihiki, fairly heavily used
* Cut Brooklyn chef knife
* Konosuke wa handled HH 300mm sujihiki
* 210mm Artifex 52100
* Munetoshi nakiri
* Shimo 150mm petty, in need of refinishing
* Kohetsu blue #2 240mm gyuto, very slim aftermarket walnut handle
* Takamura 210mm R2, wa handle conversion
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Munetoshi sold.

Kanehiro choil shot:

Gihei choil shot:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Some nice knives with excellent prices Rob, GLWS!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Lepus, just to continue to distract on your AS reactivity comment on the Kanehiro, I have an AS Kurosaki suji (Laser) that hasn't patina'd in the five or six years I've owned it. If slicing hot hunks of meat and leaving it sit the entire time during dinner counts as "extreme attempts" then put me in the same camp. I'd swear it was stainless except he didn't make another version of that knife AFAIK back then. Nice selection of knives for sale.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

That is interesting, though I did go a bit further with acidic ingredients at one point.

The mystery Kanehiro is sold pending funds in a few weeks. The Kohetsu and Artifex are sold. I'll put up the next batch tomorrow or Thursday as time for pictures and measurements permit.
willic

Post by willic »

Thank you sooooo much for the Gihei 240mm gyuto in aogami #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bobthesalesclerk

Post by Bobthesalesclerk »

Is the Munetoshi petty still available?