Tsubaya Tanaka Blue 1, Satine Handle

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Nmiller21k

Tsubaya Tanaka Blue 1, Satine Handle

Post by Nmiller21k »

Price: $450.00 (Shipped CONUS)
Weight: 214g
Length: 235mm (cutting edge)
Height at Heel: 50mm
Spine at Heel: 3.3mm
Spine near Tip: 1.2mm

Used three times at home, KU is starting to rub off from drying not over use, due to how the KU is applied.
Tanaka uses charcoal to quench when treating the knife, which does not produce a Kurouchi dark finish. So in order to produce the finish, which is both aesthetically pleasing and useful in protecting against rust, sharpener use a special and secret technique that has been used in Sakai for a long time and etches the surface of the knife.
This way of finishing creates the dark and beautiful Kurouchi finish found on this special line. While both types of Kurouchi finishes can fade over time, the etching technique used by sharpener may fade faster.
This is not sign that anything is wrong with the blade. so please do not worry if this happens, as it is natural.

Never sharpened, used for three meals at home.
Again turning into a drawer queen, I am cleaning them out.
slobound

Re: Tsubaya Tanaka Blue 1, Satine Handle

Post by slobound »

Man, you are on a roll. Loving this knife! GLWS
-- Garrick
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Cleaning out drawer queens and stuff that doesn't get used frequently.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I have this same knife and love it, I had a 270 too and decided it was too much for me. Ray, Maui, bought it. Great knives. GLWS
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Ugh, seeing this makes me want to buy one again. *MUST RESIST* GLWS!
salemj

Post by salemj »

So...very...tempting...
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

salemj wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm So...very...tempting...
I'll cover shipping for you Salem
J david

Post by J david »

Looking for any trades?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

J david wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 pm Looking for any trades?
Not currently.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

How in the world is this a drawer queen. My drawer queens are less than $150 new :lol:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

salemj wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm So...very...tempting...
Buy it mate. Seriously! And free shipping!
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

So torn between just getting this or trying my luck tomorrow for the Fuji! Decisions decisions!
Bbuth7575

Post by Bbuth7575 »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 pm So torn between just getting this or trying my luck tomorrow for the Fuji! Decisions decisions!
Go for the sure thing and grab this one. It's a great knife.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

So tempted! Great deal on a great knife.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 pm So torn between just getting this or trying my luck tomorrow for the Fuji! Decisions decisions!

This is my favorite knife .
Satine handle is awesome .. great wood .
Take the advice of a pro guys - this thing is on par with old Fujiyama as far as thinness behind the edge , with more weight to carry a cut . I actually prefer this knife over Fujiyama for the most part , and I’ve used most all of the line . Much less fragile and more user friendly concerning technique .

Glws!
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

Inhuman wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:56 pm

This is my favorite knife .
Satine handle is awesome .. great wood .
Take the advice of a pro guys - this thing is on par with old Fujiyama as far as thinness behind the edge , with more weight to carry a cut . I actually prefer this knife over Fujiyama for the most part , and I’ve used most all of the line . Much less fragile and more user friendly concerning technique .

Glws!
I'm a diehard Kono fanboy and even I have to admit this is a better performer than the old Fujiyamas, just as thin behind the edge but heavier convex and more weight - just flies through product.
salemj

Post by salemj »

^^^These comments are interesting. I was just using my Fujiyamas the other day and revelling in the fact that they are thinner and lighter than the Tsubaya—and how much this is to my preference! That's not meant to suggest people shouldn't like the "Tsubaya version" more, but just that some people (like me) actually prefer a bit less weight and heft behind the cut when dealing with such a precise instrument.

Of course, I also want one of these since they seem to be awesome and also seem to be significantly different than what I already have. :). And I do prefer the Blue 1 to the Blue 2 Fujiyama steel that I own, even though I probably prefer the Blue 2 knife...
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

salemj wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:32 pm ^^^These comments are interesting. I was just using my Fujiyamas the other day and revelling in the fact that they are thinner and lighter than the Tsubaya—and how much this is to my preference! That's not meant to suggest people shouldn't like the "Tsubaya version" more, but just that some people (like me) actually prefer a bit less weight and heft behind the cut when dealing with such a precise instrument.

Of course, I also want one of these since they seem to be awesome and also seem to be significantly different than what I already have. :). And I do prefer the Blue 1 to the Blue 2 Fujiyama steel that I own, even though I probably prefer the Blue 2 knife...
That’s no surprise , with your preference towards lasers!
I love Fujiyama , very much , as you know . But they just haven’t been great for me at work , when things are fast and I’m behind . The tsubaya is nearly as thin behind the edge , with just enough weight to help carry through cuts with no effort on my part .

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss this one joe . I’ve had a fujiyama b2 in one hand and the tsubaya in the other ... good balance there . You’d do well to try one , and compare for yourself ! I actually think you’d like it , as it would deff be outside your current collection but still retaining some of the things you love about Fujiyama !
gladius

Post by gladius »

The Tsubaya is an excellent knife and I am surprised it is still here. Compared to the Fuji Blue#1 is is oh so close.

The Fujiyama length is 233 vs 230 with the Tsubaya height at 1mm taller.

The Fujiyama blade road is taller, grind slightly thinner with better fit & finish but are both very comparable even on the stones.

Image Image
salemj

Post by salemj »

gladius wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:13 pm The Tsubaya is an excellent knife and I am surprised it is still here. Compared to the Fuji Blue#1 is is oh so close.

The Fujiyama length is 233 vs 230 with the Tsubaya height at 1mm taller.

The Fujiyama blade road is taller, grind slightly thinner with better fit & finish but are both very comparable even on the stones.
Thanks, gladius: appreciation the pics and additional thoughts. I was watching the other vendor's site for a while to see the various specs. It does seem like there is a lot of variation (perhaps more so than in the old Fujiyamas, but not really more so than more recent iterations). One big fluctuation seems to be length; height a little less so. But it does seem like the grinds and heft of the blades are relatively consistent even with those variables.

Brett, I have to admit that - if this particular one was sized differently - I might have bitten the hook, so I don't mean to dismiss it per se. As it is, I'd like to get closer to 230 and closer to 49 with a weight closer or below 200g. It may sound odd, but I feel the extra 5mm beyond 230 way more than I feel the difference between 220 and 230, for example, so I get more and more picky at that point.

The reality is that my Blue 1 already has more heft than my Blue 2...considerably so in the hand. So, the harder question is whether I'd like this one enough to want to keep it for years alongside two other Fujiyamas that I already really like and already have different characters in size and weight...and I've also seriously considered trying to get one of the Konosuke Honyakis against my better judgement. So, I just got to sort things out.

But as for this particular knife: how is it still here???
~J