WTS - Kato 210 Standard - CLOSED

Here you can research prices of sold items.
inzite

Re: WTS - Kato 210 Standard

Post by inzite »

Bbuth7575 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:52 pm
Cutuu wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 am The only way for these prices to stop being so overly inflated from what they sell from the vendor, is for people to stop buying them at these prices.
This. You can't tell me that a Kato is 4X better than a Toyama, but that 210 Standard is priced that way. I'd rather have a dammy Toyama and Tanaka Kyuzo in 240 than a single Kato for the same price.
it'll never be 4x better but it is 100% different and unique. same could be said about shigs and even beyond knives - leica m10 vs a regular dslr.
Drewski

Re: WTS - Kato 210 Standard - CLOSED

Post by Drewski »

inzite wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 pm and it's sold! thanks!
I guess that's proof that the knife was priced correctly
gladius

Post by gladius »

---
Nice.

We may not see many more. I understand Kato's back is hurt.

Well worth it! I did a head-to-head against Tanaka and Toyama (from a previous post) tonight and I don't think I'd trade either or both for Kato.
inzite

Post by inzite »

gladius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:56 am
---
Nice.

We may not see many more. I understand Kato's back is hurt.

Well worth it! I did a head-to-head against Tanaka and Toyama (from a previous post) tonight and I don't think I'd trade either or both for Kato.
yeah - the tanaka and toyama are great knives on their own as well - especially the toyama blue 2 steel.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

JNS went off about flippers on facebook.
So I don't see it was priced appropriately, I see it as someone lucky with a refresh page flipping for profit.

If it was appropriately priced people who watch for katos would have snatched it within minutes.
I almost bought 3 katos 2 months ago for the same price, I just couldn't get the financing to work out.

We need to stop encouraging price gouging and flipping when knives are grossly overpriced for profit.

If you haven't seen Maxims post, I believe he's going to be black listing flippers from his store, but not sure.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

For Comparison:
kato 240 WH, 900 listed on KKF.
kato 210 WH, 600 on KKF
The Kato Tamahagane Honyaki Kanekuni is a relist from a previous WTT thread. It is a kato, it is tamahagane and blah blah blah. Unused. So maksim has listed another one on his site for $1457.31 + currency conversion fee, I'm going to ask $1050 shipping for it, which feels reasonable. (KKF)

I refuse to accept that a 210 standard market value is 1200.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 pm JNS went off about flippers on facebook.
So I don't see it was priced appropriately, I see it as someone lucky with a refresh page flipping for profit.

If it was appropriately priced people who watch for katos would have snatched it within minutes.
I almost bought 3 katos 2 months ago for the same price, I just couldn't get the financing to work out.

We need to stop encouraging price gouging and flipping when knives are grossly overpriced for profit.

If you haven't seen Maxims post, I believe he's going to be black listing flippers from his store, but not sure.
I tried to look on his Facebook page for the discussion, but I couldn't find it.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

It popped in my news feed let me see if I can find it again
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:33 pm It popped in my news feed let me see if I can find it again
K
salemj

Post by salemj »

I think a perhaps more irrefutable approach is for everyone to just keep in mind that being able to both buy and sell such knives is a privilege, NOT a right (and as Nick points out, sellers have every right to deny that privilege, just like such sellers have every right to deny carrying certain brands, to deny shipping to certain countries, etc.). On the resale side, I'd go as far as to say that the vast majority of resales are illegal in some way, whether it be lying about gift versus business sale, friends and family, origin of product, customs, reporting taxes, not reporting profit or income, etc., etc—all things that make it even more obvious that the "right" to resell just because there are websites for it is still a privilege that could be taken away by all sorts of legal actions. The more we respect that and keep it in mind by not trying to exploit the system, the better for everyone, especially the actual, original retailers.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 pm JNS went off about flippers on facebook.

---
There is no encouragement to flip but to get what the market can bear and set the value. Obviously seller got what he asked for...it's called free market. If it is an issue, sales should be contracted like Ford did with the GT Supercar, who btw sued Cena for flipping. Ferrari also contracts with buyers among other companies in different fields.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-sues- ... g-contract
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

gladius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:21 pm

---
There is no encouragement to flip but to get what the market can bear and set the value. Obviously seller got what he asked for...it's called free market. If it is an issue, sales should be contracted like Ford did with the GT Supercar, who btw sued Cena for flipping. Ferrari also contracts with buyers among other companies in different fields.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-sues- ... g-contract
I listed at least 3 examples, that prove the market value isn't what was listed and that wasn't even taking much time to research more deeply into the issue.
Yes it's a free market, but this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with terms of being ethical in the knife world.

edit:
I think the encouragement to flip is people looking to profit from the market of select makers.
Look at the KS, and Fuji trends that happened.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

And you're welcome to disagree about encouragement to flip.

But why would 1 user have 3 BNIB Katos to sell at more than double retail price?

I buy / sell off a lot of knives, but I use them all. Sometimes once, sometimes a few days to see if we click.
I bought a BNIB shig... used it on 3 ingredients head to head vs Toyama and Kato WH and knew that it wasn't in the same performance category that I was looking for... still sold it for 50 less than I paid because it was no longer BNIB, probably could have squeezed out more money for the rarity of the shig, but that isn't the right move to make.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm I listed at least 3 examples, that prove the market value isn't what was listed and that wasn't even taking much time to research more deeply into the issue.
Yes it's a free market, but this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with terms of being ethical in the knife world.
---
I know, it leaves a bad taste here too but if seller can get it why not? There are no restrictions and who beside the seller can set or enforce them? It would not have sold if the price was beyond reasonable for someone to buy at. I have paid high dollar way beyond MSRP for something I really wanted and happily because I got what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. Market value is what the market bears.

Ford made the case:
The lawsuit reads, “Mr. Cena has unfairly made a large profit from the unauthorized resale flip of the vehicle, and Ford has suffered additional damages and losses, including, but not limited to, loss of brand value, ambassador activity and customer goodwill due to the improper sale.”
Cena I am sure understood the restriction but made a profit anyway and so it goes...

Is it ethical? Probably not...yet the saying rings true:
...the love of money is the root of all evil
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

As a kid I bought comics to read. But some were out of reach because of "connecter". Just too expensive. Coin collectors the same. It is what it is. I have a Kato western. It's my 4th one. I use it. But if and when I sell it i'm going for gold. Why wouldn't I? If I don't somebody else will. That's just how I see it.

For what it's worth, the first 2 western katos I sold for like $600.

Also, to continue this dumb off topic thread, the true crime is that these cats are still making and selling knives. Yet they aren't seeing/making close to what grand profits are being made by those who simply buy and resell. If anything, They should be the ones turning such profits.

But hype is hype.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:28 pm As a kid I bought comics to read. But some were out of reach because of "connecter". Just too expensive. Coin collectors the same. It is what it is. I have a Kato western. It's my 4th one. I use it. But if and when I sell it i'm going for gold. Why wouldn't I? If I don't somebody else will. That's just how I see it.

For what it's worth, the first 2 western katos I sold for like $600.

Also, to continue this dumb off topic thread, the true crime is that these cats are still making and selling knives. Yet they aren't seeing/making close to what grand profits are being made by those who simply buy and resell. If anything, They should be the ones turning such profits.

But hype is hype.
Your last paragraph voices my own thoughts.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Drewski wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 am
I guess that's proof that the knife was priced correctly
It simply proves that we haven't hit a peak in resale pricing for Katos, not that it was priced correctly...

OT:
FWIW, I paid the same for my custom Mizuno DX 240mm honyaki. And there's a 270mm DT ITK for sale on another forum for 1/3 less than this and it's not moving. Go figure...
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Part of the market should be the allowance of criticism of a price and speaking about the act of flipping. Why is this aspect of free market continually being censored. I understand the concept if it sells it sells. But you see this with the hd and ks in how they've returned to earth. Not nearly as bad as shig, fujis, and katos, but it's stapilized part with people bursting the bubble that these knives were being priced to high. I understand supply and price may of increased with the hds, but it's more than that. The reason why I'm using those two is because you've seen it calm down. The thing with Shig and katos is they are even more rare and expensive so less people are able to try them and to help balance out the legend. People are so sensitive and continually censoring criticism of price yet it's a crucial part of an actual "free market."
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:43 pm People are so sensitive and continually censoring criticism of price yet it's a crucial part of an actual "free market."
Free market or free speech? - Just a joke, I kid... I kid... no need to respond, ha. I have no knives in this fire as I've never been able to bring myself to sell anything. :lol: Although, I do really need to thin the herd as it's a little out of control.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 pm
Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:43 pm People are so sensitive and continually censoring criticism of price yet it's a crucial part of an actual "free market."
Free market or free speech? - Just a joke, I kid... I kid... no need to respond, ha. I have no knives in this fire as I've never been able to bring myself to sell anything. :lol: Although, I do really need to thin the herd as it's a little out of control.
You know I’m thirsting for that SLD