Katos

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Spipet

Katos

Post by Spipet »

- Closed
Last edited by Spipet on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc4pt0

Re: Katos

Post by Marc4pt0 »

My goodness.
I wonder what the trade value for a western handle Kato 240 WH is...
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Marc4pt0 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:07 am My goodness.
A Kato western, lucky man. I’m wanting one of those and have been on the hunt. Tough knife to find. I see the whole Kato and unicorn thing different than many I guess. To me a knife is worth what the market will bare. You won’t stop people from buying at higher prices, just doesn’t work that way. Happy hunting and let me know if you ever get a weak moment Marc on that western.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
salemj

Post by salemj »

nakneker wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 am
A Kato western, lucky man. I’m wanting one of those and have been on the hunt. Tough knife to find. I see the whole Kato and unicorn thing different than many I guess. To me a knife is worth what the market will bare. You won’t stop people from buying at higher prices, just doesn’t work that way. Happy hunting and let me know if you ever get a weak moment Marc on that western.
Interesting claim to make based on a market that has existed for only about five years, and has really only seen this level of exploitation for about two years. Yes, people will continue to fetishize certain knives and makers, but it is still true that the vast majority of the market does features stable or lowering prices, and knowing which knives counter this trend, and at what time (and for how long) is not particularly obvious. Konosuke is a good example: many knives still garner a premium over their new prices, but as more and more excellent knives are made by that brand, more people are recognizing that chasing after old models by paying more than new ones is a little counter-productive. Yes, Katos are different, but only for a very specific category of people/collectors. I still feel as if the vast majority of people are more curious about trying one to see what the hype is about and getting their money back than keeping one unused in their collection for a decade as a collector's item to resell BNIB. Once that group potentially loses interest, there is no telling how quickly or slowly Katos will sell, or at what price.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

salemj wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 am
Interesting claim to make based on a market that has existed for only about five years, and has really only seen this level of exploitation for about two years. Yes, people will continue to fetishize certain knives and makers, but it is still true that the vast majority of the market does features stable or lowering prices, and knowing which knives counter this trend, and at what time (and for how long) is not particularly obvious. Konosuke is a good example: many knives still garner a premium over their new prices, but as more and more excellent knives are made by that brand, more people are recognizing that chasing after old models by paying more than new ones is a little counter-productive. Yes, Katos are different, but only for a very specific category of people/collectors. I still feel as if the vast majority of people are more curious about trying one to see what the hype is about and getting their money back than keeping one unused in their collection for a decade as a collector's item to resell BNIB. Once that group potentially loses interest, there is no telling how quickly or slowly Katos will sell, or at what price.
Time will tell. I agree that there are knives that perform on par or surpass Katos. Same with Shigs. I don’t think many of those knives will ever be in demand like Kato or Shig though, when Kato and Shig are no longer made I don’t see them ever going down in price. Total speculation either way though. If someone just wants a nice performing knife, there are much better values than Kato, no doubt. The current frenzy may just be a blip on the radar or maybe its an adjustment that will stay. I agree that most of the buyers are curious about the hype and then quickly get bored and send it on its way, very few keep them for the long haul. The other thing fueling the fire is the economy, many are enjoying extra funds compared to 2007-2011. These prices might take a dive when the bubble bursts again. I’ve only been at this less than a year, you certainly have seen the scene longer than me. Just expressing a opinion.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Sean, I understand some guys make good money and don't mind paying way over what should be a reasonable price, but it's about principal. This is plaguing are community. At the heart it's a dishonest practice. As a community we should stand up against this stuff. I understand it's your money and your perogative , but I hope that the majority of the community could join together and put an end to this stuff. Also, if it's such a free market why is speaking up about this stuff on people's threads being snuffed/ silenced out. Free market would allow for speaking out against unfair prices. But I see alot of times people just want to say free market, when people speak out against this stuff. That's a major part of correcting a free market by the broad band of consumers saying those prices are to high and not accepting it.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 pm
Sean, I understand some guys make good money and don't mind paying way over what should be a reasonable price, but it's about principal. This is plaguing are community. At the heart it's a dishonest practice. As a community we should stand up against this stuff. I understand it's your money and your perogative , but I hope that the majority of the community could join together and put an end to this stuff. Also, if it's such a free market why is speaking up about this stuff on people's threads being snuffed/ silenced out. Free market would allow for speaking out against unfair prices. But I see alot of times people just want to say free market, when people speak out against this stuff. That's a major part of correcting a free market by the broad band of consumers saying those prices are to high and not accepting it.
I understand what your saying Cutuu. I’m new to Japanese knives and I don’t have the history many of you do have. I’ve traded in knives and firearms all my life though and my perspective comes from that back ground. If you can get the whole community to unite and not buy at inflated pricing it’ll be a good motive for sellers to get back to a decent profit. I do know when I started buying J knives and reading about Kato and Shigs I tried in Ernest to get some. I posted my email at the usual places and was always too slow. Obviously it’s a very competitive market. I finally landed some knives thanks to some good friends and I landed many of them at what I consider under market prices. That’s really the only way I’ve found to buy some of these knives. I like what others have said about buying knives that are reasonably priced that perform as well or better than many of these frenzy knives. Those are almost always available and I still try and buy and play with many of those too. Mazaki 240 being the latest. I think in a free market critics should be able to speak their mind, anyone should be able to for that matter whether a proponent or an opponent of whatever the topic may be. I enjoy listening to what others have to say and what their view is, I think tolerance is a good quality when discussing such things,
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

I would like to say I’m against the huge inflation we are seeing on the second market , but that people’s Classified / BST is not the place for this discussion . Start your own thread and discuss there regardless of your stance on the issue . It’s simply disrespectful .
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Inhuman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm I would like to say I’m against the huge inflation we are seeing on the second market , but that people’s Classified / BST is not the place for this discussion . Start your own thread and discuss there regardless of your stance on the issue . It’s simply disrespectful .
Are you referring to general or these particular posts, because there is nothing here about selling any particular katos now. These posts came after they were already removed. So now that's what the thread is about.
Bbuth7575

Post by Bbuth7575 »

Inhuman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm I would like to say I’m against the huge inflation we are seeing on the second market , but that people’s Classified / BST is not the place for this discussion . Start your own thread and discuss there regardless of your stance on the issue . It’s simply disrespectful .
Seeing as how the OP wasn't really serious I think it's just fine to have a conversation here and in no way disrespectful.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Edited. Don't want to be "disrespectful"
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I got here late and I cannot see any BST info. Looks like the OP removed it all so I see no problem or disrespect here.
I agree with Inhuman that side comments should not be left on BST threads but in this case I think that is now moot.

As this has now taken on a life of its own, I think its fine to let the conversation continue.
I am however probably going to move it to the general section.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Bbuth7575 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 pm
Seeing as how the OP wasn't really serious I think it's just fine to have a conversation here and in no way disrespectful.
If this was not a serious post it should not have been placed in the classifieds. I have to think it was very serious at the time. But as the content has been removed then no foul IMO.