Lesson 4 Pressure

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Lesson 4 Pressure

Post by Peter Nowlan »

https://www.knifeplanet.net/lesson-4-sh ... er-stones/

While I have talked about the way I use four levels of pressure and made a video about it, I decided to try and improve it and make it another lesson on Knifeplanet. I've had so many emails from people all over over the last couple years about it I figured I would just see if I can make easier and simpler to follow. As I mentioned at the end of the article, the purpose of the video and article is not to take credit for this system, I don't care about that and as far as I know lots of people use a similar approach long before I started it.

I think it is important as it has made the most significant impact in my sharpening than anything I have done in the past. Just sharing information and as you all know I get rich from these videos, the money just keeps pouring in :) ( I do get rich from a personal satisfaction perspective though)
milkbaby

Re: Lesson 4 Pressure

Post by milkbaby »

Good stuff! Learning about varying pressure from one of your earlier articles really helped improve my sharpening. Thanks! :thumbsup:
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Love the get rich part. My stone and knife trading reminds me of how to retire from racing with a million dollars.

First, you start with 10 million dollars.......

:lol:
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Very clear and concise, as always, but the quality keeps improving with each installment. Good job and thank you for sharing. Your pressure system was one of the biggest sharpening epiphanies to come along for me and improved my edges greatly.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you all. Much appreciated
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm Very clear and concise, as always, but the quality keeps improving with each installment. Good job and thank you for sharing. Your pressure system was one of the biggest sharpening epiphanies to come along for me and improved my edges greatly.
Kit......Because of this post I went to Peter's blog and discovered the pressure technique. I just started using this system and it has completely changed the way I sharpen and the results are amazing. All of a sudden so many questions have been answered. I cannot believe how I have been over sharpening my knives :o
Yes...a true epiphany!
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Peter, I do this all the time in wood working with sand paper. Never occurred to me with sharping but it really is the same.

Yes my knives are getting sharper faster using this technique.

Thanks
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you all, I really do appreciate the kind words. I’ve got tons of respect for all of you and for Mark. I’ll probably be back when I have something useful to offer.
As for the pressure system, yes it’s been very effective and I got the idea from two people, a Master sharpener from Japan and Jon Broida who always emphasized clean edges. The 4 levels of pressure followed after much experimenting.

Respectfully
Peter
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

mauichef wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 pm Very clear and concise, as always, but the quality keeps improving with each installment. Good job and thank you for sharing. Your pressure system was one of the biggest sharpening epiphanies to come along for me and improved my edges greatly.
Kit......Because of this post I went to Peter's blog and discovered the pressure technique. I just started using this system and it has completely changed the way I sharpen and the results are amazing. All of a sudden so many questions have been answered. I cannot believe how I have been over sharpening my knives :o
Yes...a true epiphany!
Right? It is simple but it is just so well thought out. I got an ah ha moment the very first time I tried the method on a shapton glass 500 and end up with an edge cleaner than I had been getting from some 1k+ stones.

Interestingly I had read Peter's blog posts a number of times before I made the connection on the old forums. :oops:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 pm
Yes...a true epiphany!
Right? It is simple but it is just so well thought out. I got an ah ha moment the very first time I tried the method on a shapton glass 500 and end up with an edge cleaner than I had been getting from some 1k+ stones.

Interestingly I had read Peter's blog posts a number of times before I made the connection on the old forums. :oops:
That is exactly my experience.
I never really grasped the basics from the stand point of how long to sharpen and how much pressure. I kept a knife on each stone for an eternity compared to how Peter suggests.
The videos I have watched are all over the place regarding these elementary ideas.
Peter made it so straight forward and from the get go I saw results born out of control and feel that I have never experienced before.
First knife and I knew he was my guru!

Seriously mate, your post set me on a road that I cannot believe I am now traveling. But I'm not following you down JNat street buddy ;)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

mauichef wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am
Kit Craft wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Yes...a true epiphany!

That is exactly my experience.
I never really grasped the basics from the stand point of how long to sharpen and how much pressure. I kept a knife on each stone for an eternity compared to how Peter suggests.
The videos I have watched are all over the place regarding these elementary ideas.
Peter made it so straight forward and from the get go I saw results born out of control and feel that I have never experienced before.
First knife and I knew he was my guru!

Seriously mate, your post set me on a road that I cannot believe I am now traveling. But I'm not following you down JNat street buddy ;)
Why not? It is quite enjoyable. You don't NEED 46 natural stones to have a good time. I have become sidetracked with nagura but that is yet another story. A good Awase-to is really more than most people need. Naka-to are fun to play with and can even be used on a regular basis but it isn't a requirement for sure.

There is this Wakasa Asagi...LOL. Okay, I'll stop.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Just snagged a Kuozaki Aoto from a forum member and an Asagi Yaginoshima from Ken.
Here we go...down the rabbit hole!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

mauichef wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:56 pm Just snagged a Kuozaki Aoto from a forum member and an Asagi Yaginoshima from Ken.
Here we go...down the rabbit hole!
Well, you got two good stones! That particular aoto should give you some good contrast. The Yagi. is more of a polish, mine are anyway. Great edge, though, just a touch of bite left. Both of those stones are ease to read with good feedback. Again, my examples are that way so I am speaking generally. However, I have used a number of Yaginoshima stones and all have good feedback. :)
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Timely video for me, played around with the pressure technique in the video today and saw immediate results. I feel like I’m on the same path as many of you just miles behind. Lol.

Nice video Peter!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Peter's been talking pressure control for a long time and it did wonders for me too. I was wandering
somewhat blindly tinkering with pressure and his mentoring made it all very clear for me!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks for the video Peter. I have watched most of the sharpening videos that everyone has and I have always tried to take elements from each one and apply it to my sharpening. I incorporated different pressures when I first saw your videos but it was this particular video that I believe is a game changer for me. Seeing you complete a full progression in real time really helped me as I am a process kind of guy. I sharpened a dull knife that I had been thinning straight away. I delivered one of the best edges that I have ever done but more importantly, I did it in about 1/3 of the time and by removing far less metal. Thanks so much.

Best

Gareth
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Thanks for the video Peter, every hint helps beginners like myself.