Restoration Project

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Restoration Project

Post by Peter Nowlan »

A man in Montreal sent me a knife that he found in a cupboard that had been there for 15 years. He didn't know what it is or, just that it is a knife but I enjoy bringing knives like this back to life or trying to anyway.
I alway find it amazing that at the end of the job, in this case, four hours, about 75% of the time is spent on a coarse stone, in this case a Naniwa Lobster 180 and Shapton Glass 220.

The Kanji reads "Registered" "Tohgoro" which I have never heard of, many think it is an old Tojiro.

I'm sure the knife cost less than $50.00 new. The blade road was the hardest part to do, and it is not perfect by any means. I spent two hours just trying to flatten it out and I think I drained the life out of a new Sharpie. The edge was in terrible condition, but that was the easy part. These projects are a real test of patients and everytime I do one, the same thing happens. It changes from me trying to satisfy the customer to me trying to meet my own standards, I know the customer will be pleased, it's trying to get every little micro scratch out that is often beyond me without the use of power tools. All I can do is do what I can do.
Kit Craft

Re: Restoration Project

Post by Kit Craft »

The difference is night and day. It likes quite nice, to me. I do not have customers and I only sharpen for myself and family/friends but I understand what you mean when you say that you are trying to meet your own standards. Maybe even sometimes you want to surpass them. I can say that most of the time I am satisfied with my work but sometimes I am underwhelmed, it happens. However, there are those times where everything just clicks into place and I find what I have done to be quite a bit more than just satisfying. I guess that is what I like about sharpening. You learn things not only about the products that you use or renew but also loads about yourself.

That said, I love hearing these stories and love the fact that you are willing to share with us. Keep up the good work and have fun doing it!
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Wow. My hat's off to you Peter.
Frankkj

Post by Frankkj »

Talk about determination and skill. That turned out "real purdy".
slobound

Post by slobound »

I saw your photos on IG and really happy you wrote more about the process here. I thought this was an amazing transformation! Love hearing the story behind the cause.
-- Garrick
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you friends.
horriblebreast

Post by horriblebreast »

WOW! that is an amazing transformation.

how high of a grit did you need to use for that type of magic?
salemj

Post by salemj »

I was inspired yesterday to use the holiday to spend a few hours with my Ikeda. I keep putting it off because I know the cosmetic work/reshaping I want to do will take virtually no time or effort with the appropriate power tools. But I decided that yesterday was a good day to just spend a few hours trying to break a sweat. I barely made a dent in the project, but the difference/change in the knife was noticeable and was a reward in itself. I also learned a little bit more about my stones and my sandpaper grits (happens every time).

Anyways, doesn't compare to your work, but it's just a shout out to the pleasure one can have in doing some work by hand, without machines, even if it doesn't feel as "perfectly finished" as what can be done with other equipment. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by salemj on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you:)
You said it doesn't compare to my work, that doesn't matter. What you gained from the experience is far far more important. Remember that I get the opportunity to do this type of work a lot so I get lots of practice. I only share this stuff so folks know what can be done, I didn't always know how to do this or even sharpen a knife for that matter.

Thank YOU for sharing.
miles717

Post by miles717 »

Very nice work! What's your impression of the 220GS?
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you. I like it, on my 4th one. I tend to like the coarse stones in the SG line the most.
miles717

Post by miles717 »

Thanks. I've been considering adding that one to my lineup. Always searching for the elusive fast cutter that doesn't dish rapidly. How does it perform in that respect?
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

You'll like it, trust me. When I order then I always order 2 at a time.
miles717

Post by miles717 »

That's good enough for me, but I think I'll stick to one at a time. Lol
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Very nice work! What was your finest grit / compound?

I'm curious what are your thoughts on the rounded off heel? I never know if I should refine it to a sharp edge or just incorporate it as it already is.

---
Ken
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Ken,
I just saw this. As for the rounded heel, I just leave them as is. If the heels of knives are to sharpen I’ll soften them up a little.
This one was a long time ago and it’s far from perfect. I think I stopped at 2,500 grit.