Masakage Kumo Repair

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Masakage Kumo Repair

Post by Peter Nowlan »

This knife came in for some love today. It's a very nice knife, hadn't been touched (sharpened) since purchased over a year ago.

I used a 400, 1,000 and 5,000 to thin and sharpen and followed up with the Kityama and a bare leather strop. I repaired it on a 1" X 42" belt sander with trizact belts.

Whenever I do this, I think how cool it would be to meet the maker of the knife and the sharpener (Shibata San) and thank them for making work like this so easy to do.
salemj

Re: Masakage Kumo Repair

Post by salemj »

May I ask how you got the finish so even from the edge all the way up on the damascus despite thinning behind the edge?

Very fine work...!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

I got lucky Joe :)
Typically when I start a Thinning job I almost hate to look because of the scratches that will be produced. Especially on a knife like this. In this particular case there was very little scratching and I was thinning between 2-4 deg. On some jobs I'll strive to thin 1/3 of the way up the knife but after close inspection this knife isn't very thick at all, even after the repair so I wanted to thin just a little behind the "new" primary edge and it worked, as I said, I got lucky.
I was also very cautious since the owner was very particular about the appearance of the knife. I also taped the blade to reduce the possibility of scratches higher up in the blade. Scratches that I wouldn't be able to remove.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:38 pm I got lucky Joe :)
Typically when I start a Thinning job I almost hate to look because of the scratches that will be produced. Especially on a knife like this. In this particular case there was very little scratching and I was thinning between 2-4 deg. On some jobs I'll strive to thin 1/3 of the way up the knife but after close inspection this knife isn't very thick at all, even after the repair so I wanted to thin just a little behind the "new" primary edge and it worked, as I said, I got lucky.
I was also very cautious since the owner was very particular about the appearance of the knife. I also taped the blade to reduce the possibility of scratches higher up in the blade. Scratches that I wouldn't be able to remove.
Well, if they are particular about the looks of the blade they should be happy with your work. It sure looks better than it did! Fine job.

As an aside, how did you find the VG-10 to sharpen? It tends to differ wildly from smith to smith. At least in terms of burr formation and removal.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Hi Kit, it was easy to sharpen and yes I agree, VG-10 is not all the same. Burr formation was rapid.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:49 am Hi Kit, it was easy to sharpen and yes I agree, VG-10 is not all the same. Burr formation was rapid.
Thank you.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Nicely done, Peter!

---
Ken
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you Ken. I think If I was more comfortable with refinishing knives like this I would have been more aggressive with the thinning but the customer was very keen on keeping the cosmetics as they were.