Tip Sharpening and Minor Repair

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Tip Sharpening and Minor Repair

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Howdy,
I just did this quick video on how I sharpen a tip and how I make repairs. I realize of course that folks have other methods, this is just works for me. I've been discussing the top of tips with Jon and I'll see what he thinks of it and if necessary adjust it but again, it is simple and it works for me.
Kit Craft

Re: Tip Sharpening and Minor Repair

Post by Kit Craft »

Very informative as always. I use the secondary method you show in regards to the tip. I don't know why I do it like that, it just happened that way.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Great vid, watching it raised a few questions, though. Since this knife has a full bolster, wouldn't this strategy raise that dreaded void spot where the unground bolster remains after enough metal is removed to account for damage. I'm wondering if you have tips for bolster removal. Obviously power equipment is ideal, I've personally used an atoma 140 followed by sandpaper to clean it up a little, but it's a truly unpleasant and arduous process. Second, why decrease the pressure off the damaged area, wouldn't this eventually lead to an inconsistent result as opposed to even removal throughout the entire blade?

Are my questions more pertinent for a major repair as opposed to some minor little chip damage?
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Hi, that's funny, when i finished the video I thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone will question my comment about pressure?". Good question so I will tackle that first.
In reality, you can certainly and probably should use the same amount of pressure throughout the process. For me, I find that the repair work happens very quickly, it's a matter of 4-5 minutes so the slight variance in pressure is insignificant in terms of it's effect on the edge. However, if the damage was more severe and I was going to spend more time on it I would equalize the pressure from heel to tip. I find that most of the damaged knives I work on have minor chips along the entire edge anyway. I should have mentioned that the difference in pressure from the damaged areas to the undamaged areas is very minimal. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

So yes for minor repair it happens so quickly that there is little room for an uneven edge but it is definitely something to be mindful of and I think it will run into a problem I will use the same pressure throughout.

Regarding the Bolster, I know exactly what you mean but if I see that the spot you refer to has made the bolster an issue due to my removal of metal to repair chips, than I use a belt sander with a fine belt to gently remove enough metal from the bolser to make it normal again. In most cases, when i get knives with bolsters that is the first thing that I have to do anyway.

I remember when sharpening the knives was the challenge.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Very helpful video Peter. I remember back some time ago when I was struggling with tips you giving me the advice about raising the elbow. It made an immediate difference in getting a nice sharp pointed tip. Another "Ah Ha!" moment for me!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I thought that'd be the case, I had the feeling I answered my own question when the last sentence popped in my head. Thanks for the explanation. I know you aren't the biggest fan of making videos but they really are both useful and entertaining.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Right on Jeff thanks and yes I don't like making them but I feel it necessary at times, I think they generate some good questions that other people, including me can learn from.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:53 am Right on Jeff thanks and yes I don't like making them but I feel it necessary at times, I think they generate some good questions that other people, including me can learn from.
I see no reason to be uneasy about making them, if that is what it is that you feel. You seem quite natural on camera.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Oh okay, thank you very much.