Sharpening Video, Getting Started

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Sharpening Video, Getting Started

Post by Peter Nowlan »

There is a whack of knife sharpening videos out there but only a handful of what I consider good ones, ones that I like to watch. Well more than a handful but you get the point. In this video, I try to explain that there is more to the art of sharpening than just the physical component, and to really enjoy all the benefits of sharpening people need to understand this. Also, I know that there are many novices being told by superiors that all they need to sharpen a knife is a Steel, "it's all I've ever used, why the hell do I need water stones or a sharpening lesson?" This is real and I get it a lot. Folks whose egos get in their way and they not just don't encourage people to learn to sharpen a knife on a water stone, they advise against it.

I just made this one for my Blog followers, I am up to 3 now so I have keep them happy. ( Yes, 2 of them are in my family)

Happy Saint Paddy's Day.
Kit Craft

Re: Sharpening Video, Getting Started

Post by Kit Craft »

As always, fun and informative video. I loved it when you started going fast and said that was fine but not for a tutorial. When I first got into waterstone sharpening a saw a few tutorials where guys were going 100mph and I had no idea what was going on. That was a very good point that you made. Also, I have been sharpening for some time now and I still don't go that fast. I "can" but that is when I am more likely to make a mistake. As a hobbyist I don't even try for speed anymore.

Anyway, I always learn something from your videos so thank you for posting them. :)
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Love your videos, I have learned a lot.

One question I have. You move your hands a lot as you talk. And you have a knive in one of them, have you ever cut yourself not sharpening but in talking in your videos 😀
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you fellas.
No I have not cut myself but I've come close when I was slicing paper and that's a dangerous one. Believe me, talking while I sharpen is not easy for me.

Thanks for watching.
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

Hi Peter,

I think this is the best video I've seen for beginning sharpeners. The reason I like it is that you discuss the elements of sharpening and sharpening principles more than just technique. I also like that you discuss mindset. Kudos!

A comment about taping. That blue painter's tape loses adhesion the moment it gets wet. Though not really for beginning sharpeners, I've found that clear packing tape works quite well to protect DLC and other coated knives from being scratched by swarf from the stone. You can use the pre-sharpened knife profile to cut the right curves in the tape then apply the tape to the blade above the bevel for protection.
Greg
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you Greg.

As for that tape. Yes I agree and in fact I use that clear tape just for that reason. I grabbed the wrong roll, I use the blue tape when I pack the sharpened knives up for customers :). I'll mention It in my next video.