Fujiwara Down

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Fujiwara Down

Post by Peter Nowlan »

The nice man that purchased this knife brought it back yesterday fully admitting that the mistake was his, he used the knife to cut into a hard squash. I told him that while the knife is capable of slicing through a squash, any amount of torque and twisting while getting through that tough outer shell can have pretty significant impact on that very hard but brittle edge.

I used a Shapton Glass 500 to repair the damage and it only took about 10 minutes to do so and also create a incredibly dull Fujiwara. I used the same stone to commence the sharpening process after shifting from the Repair Angle to the Thinning Angle and then to the Sharpening Angle.
I am a passive thinner, since the knife is thin already I didn't go nuts on the thinning, I was confident that the level of sharpness would satisfy the owner.

I moved from the 500 SG to the Chosera 1k then to the 3k and finally to the Chosera 5k to finish it off. For kicks I used some extremely light strokes over a 10K Chosera

This picture is my sharpening area with the Naniwa Akamonzen on the left.

I posted this article because I don't know if the posts from the original forum will be moved over here, so I thought I would start off with this.
Peter
Jeff B

Re: Fujiwara Down

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent work as usual Peter. From what little I can see it looks like you have a pretty nice sharpening area!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Jeff,
Thank you. Yes I do have a nice sharpening area but it comes after many hideous sharpening areas. I suppose it is like that for most, you start off with the bare essentials, no forward thinking involved and then as you progress you start to build your nest. It took me 4 years to get my Area Zen established.
halfdana

Post by halfdana »

I always enjoy watching and reading about your work Peter!
You seem to have done quite a few Fujiwaras judging from your videos and posts :)
I'm sure this customer will be very happy!
-Halfdan
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you Halfdan. Yes I suppose when it comes to Japanese knives, Fujiwara is the most common for me.
I emailed Fujiwara San a while back to confirm what I believed to be the finishing stone he used. To my astonishment, he emailed me right back and gave me all the info I asked for. What a nice man.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

Peter, I'm curious what that stone might be if you are at liberty to share!
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Hi,
Yes I am, the big one I assume you mean. (The green one is the Chosera 400). The massive one, and I mean massive, the biggest stone that I have ever seen is the Naniwa Akamonzen, it is 1,000 grit stone. I love it, has great feedback, it generates mud quickly and is easy to maintain. This the extra large version, it comes in regular and a small size. This was sent to me as a gift from a place in Canada.

Peter
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

Thanks, Peter. Though I was actually referring to Fujiwara-san's finishing stone.
Dufus53

Post by Dufus53 »

Great work Peter. Love to see a video of your process.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Peter what degree is your repair angle?
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Cmeik of course sorry, he told me it was an 8,000 grit finish, synthetic. I thought so as it looked just like an 8K Kityama finish.

Dufus I should do a video yes, glad I thought of it :)

Cutuu the repair angle is about 80-85 deg. I work at that angle, constantly checking to see if the chip is disappearing and as soon as it gets close I drop the angle down substantially until I am eventually at the thinning or sharpening angle. I think I first saw this on a video from MTC Kitchen in New York. I visited the store and it's where I got to use Shapton Glass stones for the first time. I may have seen Harrelson Stanley do this, it isn't something I invented or anything. So I am sure if you YouTube Harrelson Stanley sharpening videos there is one there, in fact I know that there is.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

Thank, Peter!