Nubatama 6k Platinum review

Moderator: ken123

ken123

Nubatama 6k Platinum review

Post by ken123 »

Well i had the opportunity to review thr 6k Platinum. It was the last one I have and I have more on order :) This of course is a high recommendation.

I waited for over a year for these stones. In short it was well worth the wait!

So this is the finest Platinum stone. Platinums available include 320 600 1k ( regular and hard) 1500 2k 3k and now 6k.

I consider these stones exceptional - fasr cutters, slow wearing and capable of handling a wide range of steels frim basic carbons, stainless, and high alloy content steels. steels. I USE these stones extensively - they are on my bench all the time.

So how does the 6k stack up? It is exceptional. It iscompletely consistent with the existing series. You immediately notice that it quickly cuts steel as seen by rhe immediate presence of black swarf. Feedback is strong. After a 3k platinum you can feel each stroke gliding across the stone more easily and a corresponding improvement in push cutting performance. Sharpening atacute angles freehand is very precise due to strong feedback. The 6k is also a perfect setup for polishers like the Oouchi and similar stones, taking little effort for these stones to achieve full function. Pics to follow.

---
Ken
datster

Re: Nubatama 6k Platinum review

Post by datster »

Ken,
I find pricing for the Ume and Bamboo but nothing for the Platinums?
Maybe time for an updated price list? :D
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Please go back to that same pricing list. I added the 6k platinum to the list and, for clarity, have CAPITALIZED the word platinum where it appears. Platinums are intersperced between ume and bamboo series for historical reasons.

Thanks!

---
Ken
gladius

Post by gladius »

Are the ridges a result of a diamond plate flattening?

It looks like it loads up quite a bit; can you show the stone after use and a rinse?

Is that price right? $170 USD?

ken123

Post by ken123 »

The ridges are from an initial sharpening before flattening so that is showing factory finish. Those scratches go quickly and are very shallow.. The picture with the knife on it shows the finish after flattening and use on a few stones.

Pricing is correct - just a bit more than the 3k Platinum.

---
Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Here is the stone after several knife sharpenings.
20180907_104440.jpg
---
Ken
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Mine does not load much at all - seems to just become swarf and the stone has rinsed clean. Took my stone toothbrush to it and it has nothing much on it. I use a very old very soft toothbrush to clean stones occasionally. Great 6K stone