Traditional Sharpening Service

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

Welcome to Traditional Sharpening,

My style of sharpening and repair is true to the Traditional Sharpening name. I follow the less is more philosophy while using simple methods to repair, refinish, and sharpen knives and tools. With a wide selection of Japanese water stones, I bring you the art of hand sharpening in it’s most functional form.

My typical edge is coarser (2000 grit) providing a good mix of toothy and polished qualities for long edge retention and ease of maintenance. This is an edge based on my extensive experience and preferred by professionals and enthusiasts the world over. Contact me today to schedule your knife sharpening.

My Standard Kitchen Knife Pricing:
• $10 for blades <8in
• $20 for blades >8in
Broken tips and heavily chipped edges +$5

Single bevel blades: $3 per inch. Damaged blades to be assessed individually.

Straight razors:$20

Machine sharpening: For a factory-like edge at a lower cost.
(I reserve this for knives that see very rough use at work daily or knives that just need a basic cutting edge.)
• $4 for knives < 8in
• $6 for knives > 8in

Regrinds/blade thinning: Starting at $10 for small blades this is an additional cost to sharpening.
(This is not an artistic regrind service, this is strictly for performance.)

Acid Etching also available: This is a FREE service, just ask.

Folding knives, Hunting knives, Slipjoints: These require a different level of attention and thus receive their own pricing category.
• $10 for blades <6in
• $20 for blades >6in
Multi blade pocket knives add $3 for each additional blade.

All payments can be made through Cash, Money Order, PayPal, or by Credit Card. (No personal checks)
Shipping is done through USPS Priority.

If interested in getting a knife sharpened send me a forum personal message (PM), or email me at ---> traditionalsharpening@gmail.com

Here is a example of a kasumi finish and my work on single bevels.

Super steels and premium high wear resistant metals are also a specialty of mine. When I started sharpening for others it was because I worked with premium alloys that were troubling to some to get sharp. I worked to a different goal at that time and gained a little fame for splitting hairs.

CPM-M4 Spyderco Military

Today though I have left behind the polishing compounds and use just stones with only a light stropping on bare leather. This is part of the Traditional Sharpening method I employ today and use to challenge myself in making sharper edges.

Richmond addict, finished on a 6K Arashiyama. Picture @ 400x

My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEdgy81

Thanks,
Jason
timos

Re: Traditional Sharpening Service

Post by timos »

Hey Jason, where are you located?
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Nikthymn

Post by Nikthymn »

Hi Peter

Sharpening for resturants, etc can be a good way to earn a few dollars, and it doesnt eat up a lot of your time either. Personally, I charge 3 for each straight edge blade, and 5 for serrated blades.
Something a person can do is take the time to create and send a flyer to local resturant managers, offering knife sharpening services. Youd be surprised at how many will call you right away.
:D
Jeff B

Re: Traditional Sharpening Service

Post by Jeff B »

Nikthymn wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 pm Hi Peter...
Think you mean Jason. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.