Recommendation for family

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Bob Z

Re: Recommendation for family

Post by Bob Z »

I was also here at one point but agonized over a nakiri for a month before getting one (that I still have after a few years)

I like japanese handles more than western as they seem more comfortable to me, but prefer a sealed western type handle for dealing with meat/seafood. Most of my knives have japanese (Wa) handles.

Seconding Jeffry's advice, get one knife first. This could be the time for that Takamura chromax as its on sale for cyber monday https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html. Getting a Takamura Santoku chromax a few years ago, I couldn't wait for the gyuto version of that knife to come out last year and it doesn't disappoint.

And if you dont want to get another western handle, the Kohetsu Aogami Super gyuto is also on sale! https://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

While you are on that page, grab the CFTG honing rod to keep your knives touched up between sharpening. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckwhcefirod.html

A 240 Gyuto? While they are very popular on this forum and pros, I find a 210 big enough for just about everything and if you are getting a family knife I doubt your wife or kids would ever want to touch the 240. Just my two cents...
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Get the Takamura. It’s a great value, profile will rock better than most of the knives here, and it will show you most everything that can be great about these knives.

Next time (yes, after using the Takamura there WILL be a next time because you’re going to have a sh*t eating grin on when you try it out on produce) you should get a little crazy ...240 wa handled carbon steel.
foodisgood

Post by foodisgood »

Hey all - I ended up with the Takamura and am thrilled. Just one question - any recommendations on not-super-expensive cutting boards that wont kill it? Is something like this ok?
cliff

Post by cliff »

foodisgood wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 pm Hey all - I ended up with the Takamura and am thrilled. Just one question - any recommendations on not-super-expensive cutting boards that wont kill it? Is something like this ok?
Noooooo. Go with a Hi-Soft, or one of these: Those plastic boards are not great for hard, thin edges.
timc247

Post by timc247 »

out of all my japanese knives and fancy steels. my go to at home are my mac superior knives. i have the santoku and its pretty much all i use when im home.