Petty short list

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Maitake

Petty short list

Post by Maitake » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 am

Looking to survey petty's to find likes and dislikes. If I don't love the knife it will be re-homed with a chef friend.
Will buy 2. 1 stainless and 1 carbon or carbon core.

Home cook
Fair knife skill
One stainless, one carbon or carbon core
Petty
Comitted to learning sharpening, some oilstone experience
I do no in hand work.
Would like to hear your thoughts.
For the carbon the Masakage and Goko are calling to me....

Short list:

Kanehiro ginsan petty https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagipe15.html
Kanehide TK petty 120 semi stainless https://www.chefknivestogo.com/katk12pe.html
Masakage petty 120 white 2 stainless clad https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayupe12.html
Kohetsu HAP40 Western Petty 120mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohape12.html
KOHETSU HAP40 WA PETTY 120MM https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohape121.html
Takamura Migaki R2 Petty 130mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tamir2pe13.html
Goko White #1 Petty 150mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html
Tojiro DP Petty 120mm

LaVieestBelle

Re: Petty short list

Post by LaVieestBelle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 am

Since you aren't doing in hand work, you might think about the Goko as one of your two options. I bought this one with height in mind.

I had owned pettys with less height and wanted one that gave me a bit more, and a different feel. The Goko is a fun choice for those times when I want a tad more clearance. That's the only petty on your list that I own, though I have a Yuki honesuki for chicken. A nice little knife.

Of course there are other differences among the knives on your list, but I simply wanted to point out height. Most are around 28mm. The Yuki is the next-to-the-tallest at roughly 31, and the Goko the tallest at a little over 33mm. On the board, with a petty, this becomes noticeable. If you want to play with two pettys, perhaps a taller and a shorter one...

salemj

Post by salemj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 am

The Kanehide is great as a petty in 120mm. It is also a great "project" knife: it comes in good condition, but with some thinning and changing of the bevels is really opens up. At the price, it is totally worry-free and fun to try to improve, but it also outperforms many knives that cost more straight out of the box. I also think it has a terrific profile: it is a bit taller (esp. for a 120) but still has a very nice dagger tip.

I have a Richmond Laser AS (stainless coated) Wa I'd let go of used, if you have an interest. It isn't far off from some of the other carbon-clad knives you are considering.

Otherwise, I have a strong bias that others would (strongly) disagree with: I do NOT like cosmetic finishes on petty knives, especially "handmade" ones. I find this causes them to be quite thick at the neck and to have much lower grinds, and in my opinion, a petty knife performs much, much better when it is thin...almost close to stamped. I firmly believe this is why the Shun petty knives are so loved, and I also think it is why several people (even on this forum) still love the German petty knives—they tend to be super-thin, even when they have bulky handles (Henckels are a great example).

This isn't to say these knives are bad or have no place. I'm just stating my preference and the physical basis for it. Petty knives are much less height than bigger knives, and I don't even like lower grinds on bigger knives, but on a petty, with so much less space to work with due to a cosmetic finish and being thicker due to being hand-hammered, those low grinds get even steeper.

This isn't to say such petty knives are not sharp or don't cut well (I can already anticipate the responses about Kato petty knives, for example). BUT, it is to say that a thicker petty like that is probably great with softer foods, but I just cannot image it goes through harder product as easily as a thinner knife. I should add that this is even more of an issue if you are not doing "in hand" work, because that means you are likely using the petty to half things rather than skin them, and this is precisely when the difference in thickness becomes an issue.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

Maitake

Post by Maitake » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 am

Great info.
Goku and kanehide should be different enough for me to sort out preferences.

jbart65

Post by jbart65 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 am

I own a Konosuke 150. Doubles as a boning knife. Thin and on the shorter side, but I quite like it. The Kohetsu Hap40 was a bit thicker and not quite what I was looking for, but a good deal and an interesting steel. The Goku is taller than the Kono and a bit more robust. Been thinking of picking one up eventually.
Jeffry B

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Gehei Tall 165 Petty

Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm

My favorite petty is the Tanaka Damascus 135. Ridiculously light, keeps an edge, just knocks it outta the park. I also have the gihei 165 Tall, and while it is completely different, almost a mini-gyuto, it’s a great bargain.

Maitake

Post by Maitake » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Those look like beauties.
Kind of in knife "speed dating" mode. Trying a little of everything to find what I like.
Half a dozen on the way, thats enough for starters $$$.
It's a bewildering array of really nice knives, and the only way I think to find what you like is by trying them. Once I have some quality time with them a I may find preferences in steel, length, thickness, profile, grind, whetever. Hopefully some will be keepers and all will show me something I want or don't want in a knife.
I know some of the words but not the language. Yet.

Lepus

Post by Lepus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm

I agree with Nick. The Gihei is amazing overall, particularly for the price.

Maitake

Post by Maitake » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 am

Does the Gihei tall petty still have the 3" diameter handle?
Is it ok or does it feel oversized?

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Handle feels great barely notice it

Lepus

Post by Lepus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm

When I pulled mine out of the box I was a little bummed because it feels shorter at the heel than I expected from a 38mm tall knife and the handle is largely why. I do think it's oversized, but I'm glad to say that doesn't stop the knife from being versatile. The knife is barely big enough to do almost anything and the handle doesn't get in the way. It isn't going to be a good slicer, but it is great for many vegetables and awesome for a few. I haven't broken down any animals with it yet so I can't say this with authority, but if the heat treatment mirrors that of the gyuto it should make a great boning knife, too.

I'm thinking about replacing the handle on mine with one just a tiny bit smaller, but I haven't decided yet. It is certainly not essential. If I did take the handle off I would try to save the handle for another knife, probably a nakiri, usuba, or santoku but very possibly a small gyuto. It has been sealed with something on the sides, though not,on the butt, and it's well made. The finish on this petty beats out the finish on my Gihei gyuto.

Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 pm

I specifically got a beautiful Olive blank to rehandle the Gihei but felt it was not necessary after using the knife. The diameter difference is only a few mms. My knuckles clear my board just fine, and my hands are proportional to my 6’3” frame, I suppose. I may still rehandle it, because of the ovate shape at some point, I prefer some flats, and I could simply knock the old handle off and reshape it. It’s simply not a dealbreaker. I saw no reason to fool with it until the handle shows signs of wear, or until I’ve got some ass time. It’s an unusual grind- not representative of any petty like I’d expect- it’s like a small gyuto.