looking for my first santuko or bunka

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
canali

looking for my first santuko or bunka

Post by canali » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:18 pm

seeking my first Santuko or bunka
....li have a curved (cheap) chinese cleaver...i love the chop/slice and scoop action of this style.
just like something a tad shorter than my mac with a larger belly and a pointed tip.
the masakage benka looks nice. but i am sure there are many others just as good.

...just ideally would like something you can chop or push/pull, thrust cutting or even rocker, all equally well with, if possible.
i do take good care of my knives, wiping them off pretty much right after use.

I'm a newbie to knives...getting back into it...have german wusthof grand prix 1 from 10 yrs ago, and a new mac mth 80 8'' chef's.
bought a bunch of stones/bridge/strop/took 2 hr sharpening class a few wks back... etc

1)Pro or home cook?
HOME

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
SANTUKO or Bunka etc.

3) What size knife do you want?
6-7''

4)How much do you want to spend?
IF USED, EVEN BETTER. US$100-150 ISH.

5) Do you prefer all, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
SORRY I'M TOO NEW TO UNDERSTAND THE pros/cons here (i do have a general understanding, however)
WANT TO EVENTUALLY SHARPEN IT MYSELF (ONCE MY SKILLS ARE REFINED)

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
HAVEN'T HAD A JAPANESE HANDLE SO CAN'T REALLY SAY.
but would like to try my first japanese.
i'm right handed, med sized hand/male.

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
WUSTHOF GRAND PRIX series 1, MAC MTH 80

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
FAIR TO RESPECTABLE FOR A BEGINNER.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
CHOPPER, PUSH PULL.
BUT ALSO ROCKER ON OCCASION

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
NEWBIE/BEGINNER/TOOK 2 HR SHARPENING COURSE A FEW WKS BACK.
starting my knife sharpening this wkend with knives from thrift shops...etc.

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.
Last edited by canali on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sac36555

Re: looking for my first santuko or bunka

Post by sac36555 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm

First off, a Santoku or Bunka are the wrong choice for rocking. You need to leave that to your Mac chef’s knife. The tips aren’t high enough to rock and the increased hardness of the Japanese knives make them susceptible to chipping if you put any side pressure on your tip while rocking. If your looking for a chopper for veggies, etc then they are a great option. The Bunka will give you that extra thin tip for fine work.

As for the different types of steel. The benefits to stainless are just that, they are more resistant to staining if you don’t clean them during and after use, or leave them wet after cleaning. The negatives are they have a larger grain structure so they don’t get as sharp as carbon steels, are harder to sharpen, and are prone to wire edges. A carbon steel blade has a tighter grain structure and get sharper than stainless, are easier to sharpen, are more fun to sharpen because the feedback you get from them is much better. The negatives are that you must clean your knife immediately after use and sometimes during, it will rust if you leave food on it, or if you leave it wet after cleaning, and they develop patina. Some people hate it, some people love it. It doesn’t affect the performance of the knife or structural integrity, it’s an aesthetics thing. There is so much more about steels than this, but that’s a good basic start.

canali

Post by canali » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks...I have no problem being on top of my knives (I wipe down my Wusthof and Mac quickly after using them) so maybe a higher carbon content knife might be in the works...it's characteristics sound most enticing....being more in touch with how it cuts and how i can sharpen it...what's not to to like.

I did like this comparison between SS and Carbon knives. https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/why ... tools.html

sac36555

Post by sac36555 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Decent article that gives you the basics....were you looking for a lightweight, middleweight, or heavyweight blade?

canali

Post by canali » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:07 pm

sac36555 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 pm
Decent article that gives you the basics....were you looking for a lightweight, middleweight, or heavyweight blade?
a lighterweight knife that is still strong to hold up to everyday chopping etc
mark kindly replied to my email suggesting these...one SS and the other carbon.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anryu.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura1.html

gladius

Post by gladius » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Excellent recommendations...pick one.

sac36555

Post by sac36555 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:57 pm

canali wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:07 pm
sac36555 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 pm
a lighterweight knife that is still strong to hold up to everyday chopping etc
mark kindly replied to my email suggesting these...one SS and the other carbon.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anryu.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura1.html
The Takamura is a laser and will fly through food, but food separation isn’t great. It being Stainless will also be low maintenance, but R2 can be a little chippy if your not careful.

The Anryu I have no experience, but seems to be a middleweight spine, but still thin behind the edge and is hand forged. The blue steel will require more maintenance, but that hammer finish is pretty awesome IMO. It won’t fly through food as easily as the Takamura, but food separation will be greatly improved. L

It really comes down to what you are looking for out of a knife. You can’t go wrong with either of them!!

Cahudson42

Post by Cahudson42 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm

The Takamura Chromax Santoku at $115 might also be a consideration. The core steel - Chromax - is essentially A2 tool steel. It will likely sharpen more like a carbon, compared to the R2. It also is more like a carbon, in that it is reactive and needs to be treated accordingly.

Mine was extremely sharp ootb, one of only two CKTG knives that actually stuck to my end grain maple board, because of my poor technique. (The other a Toshu w1 210 Gyuto, no longer available).
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachsa17wtbo.html

You also have another good Chromax choice - the 210 Gyuto at $125...
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachgy21.html

Some will advise the Gyuto over the Santoku, considering it more adaptable in use.

Plus the savings from either of these go a long way to your affording the $60 Miszu Bunka SKS93, a really fun inexpensive Bunka. I use mine as my 'herb knife' almost daily...

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:45 pm

I second the Misuzu Bunka - bought one as a knife to lend out while cooking - bought another because my ladyfriend wanted one as well. Cheap stamped knife that has a fine grind and takes a good edge. Plus you don't worry about others using it - I'm going to get a few for nieces and nephew this winter.

canali

Post by canali » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 am

Thanks gang...what of the knife from 'steve recommends'? https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kosldbu17.html

kps000000

Post by kps000000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

I recently purchased the takamura chromax santuko as my first japanese knife and can highly recommend it (though I am by no means an expert.)

Super sharp and thin, flys through food though the release isn't that great sometimes...still a great knife and a pleasure to use. I find myself constantly wanting to slice things.

timc247

Post by timc247 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am

i have the masakage yuki 170mm bunka, couldn't be happier. definitely in your price range and the knife takes a mean edge with a little practice on the stones.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayubu17.html