Help! Recommendations please.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
scottsanford

Help! Recommendations please.

Post by scottsanford » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello everyone. First time post here. Looking to upgrade the arguably sad home knife collection (Wusthof). Long overdue. I've read a bunch of the posts here of people recommending knives. Super helpful. And a lot to absorb all at the same time.

I think I'm looking for a Gyoto (equivalent of a chef knife, right?) and a Santuko. And then maybe something smaller that the kids can use (pairing knife?, smaller gyoto?). Thanks in advance for all the advice! And can't wait to upgrade the home collection! I like to cook and not having decent knives is ridiculous.

1)Pro or home cook? home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.). Gyoto and Santuko for the big knives. And a pairing knife as well. Something smaller that my wife and kids can use often.

3) What size knife do you want? my 2 chef knives each have an 8" blade. I would say nothing bigger. But happy to consider smaller.

4)How much do you want to spend? tough question. Want something decent. Maybe $150-ish each for the Gyoto and Santuko (as a ceiling). Probably can be less for the pairing knife?

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? No idea. What I do know is that I want something that is not too "high maintenance" because my wife and kids will use them (and not constantly wipe the blade clean).

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? either.

7)What are your main knife/knives now? old Wusthof knives.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? good/fair.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? for veggies, more of a rocker.

10)Do you know how to sharpen? a little. Have a Bester 1000 stone I use with some success, and will keep improving. Plan to watch more of the cktgo videos!

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.

eyewanders

Re: Help! Recommendations please.

Post by eyewanders » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Brief post as I'm walking out the door. Sounds like a non reactive blade is what you're seeking and the CTKG "Kohetsu" line, particuarly the "SLD" might be right up your alley. Mark and co. developed these specifically for performance and value so they make great "introduction" knives. You might pick out a petty knife (basically a Japanese, small utility knife - good for pairing and generally for those afraid of big bad kitchen knives) from the line along with one of your "big" knives (gyuto or santoku). Then for the remaining one you could try something else, perhaps with a carbon steel or more reactive cladding so you can get a feel for the differences and then there'd be just one knife that's sort of "off limits" until they learn to take care of them (not that the others don't require care - they're just more forgiving certainly).

In your range there are literally tons of options ... many of which come down to if you prefer chopping, push-cutting, or rocking most of all in your general use. I'd look to those knives with a bit more belly to facilitate rocking easier. I began with knives from Masakage "Mizu" as well as the Ittu-Ryu line - no regrets of any sort. I was a rocker as well, and j-knives changed that - I push and chop these days and only really rock over small herbs and garlic etc. :) Have fun.
---Kevin

scottsanford

Post by scottsanford » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for the recs! I will check those knives out over the weekend. Super excited to get a few in the kitchen. Now need to go look at some of those sharpening tips to see what else I need (in addition to the 1000 stone).

Drewski

Post by Drewski » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Those Kohetsu SLD's look interesting... pretty solid, cool pattern. Anyone have any experience using these and if they are a good first knife, compared to say the Kanehide PS60, or the Kohetsu B2 nashiji (reactivity not being an issue)?

jbart65

Post by jbart65 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am

I'd skip a paring knife for now. Or just get a $10 Victorinox. They are great for small jobs and can take some abuse.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Parin ... B0019WXPQY

Now a gyuto. Personally I prefer 240s. I adapted to them very quickly after 30 years of using 8-inch chef knives or smaller. They offer more clearance, cutting power and efficiency.

I thought they might be too big at first, but Japanese knives tend to be much lighter than European ones due to thinner blades and lighter wa handles.

As such a 240 mm (9.5 inches) wa-handled gyuto tends to be much more nimble than an 8-inch Wusthof or Henckels.

Still, it might be wise to start with a 210. And a budget of $150 puts you in range of some very good 210 knives.

The Kanehide PS60 is a fine Japanese knife. Stainless, quite sharp and not too hard to sharpen. I’d call it a good starter, but it arguably cuts better than virtually any mass market knife.

For the money, I’d go with the Harakuze AS. You simply cannot buy much more knife for the money. It’s thin, light, incredibly sharp and holds a good long edge. Comes with a good handle and is stainless clad. Only the very edge can discolor, but that’s fine. Just dry when done and rust will never be an issue.

Downsides? It is thin and AS is a super hard metal. It can microchip if your technique isn’t great. No worries, though. It’s the kind of knife that will help you improve your technique.

Want to know what a Japanese gyuto is really like? Here it is. You will be wowed.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas21gy.html

Were you to get this knife, I’d get a fully stainless santoku for the family. A santoku is small enough to be used for smaller jobs as well.

You’ve got two options. Get a bullet-proof santoku that your family won’t damage. Or take more risk and get a great santuko that, while tough, won’t be indestructible.

The Fujiwara ($72) is an example of the first category.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmsa18.html

The Takamura R2 is an example of the second category.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura1.html

This knife is one of the finest cutters, period. Good stock handle that can stand up to more abuse. The blade is fully stainless, but it’s not so tough that it can be banged around wantonly. Just some basic care should see it through, however.

If you want to spend a little less for a somewhat tougher steel, the Takamura VG10 would also fit the bill.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgna.html
Jeffry B

n64bomb

Post by n64bomb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:26 pm

What great suggestions :) Any of those would work wonders xD

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am

The Harukaze that Jeffry mentioned is good but it has a carbon steel edge. I’m a little worried about that for him.

This would be a nice, stainless alternative with a wa handle in that general price range: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapswagy21.html

The Takamura VG10 would be a nice western handled option.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com

jacko9

Post by jacko9 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 am

Scott, The Kanehide PS60 in the 240mm version is the knife I purchased for my youngest son and he's had no issues with it for the past almost three years. He is unmarried and has house guests living with him at times and that knife has seen a lot of use and he hasn't asked to have it sharpened yet (and I checked with him last week). I highly recommend the PS60.

Drewski

Post by Drewski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 pm

jacko9 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 am
Scott, The Kanehide PS60 in the 240mm version is the knife I purchased for my youngest son and he's had no issues with it for the past almost three years. He is unmarried and has house guests living with him at times and that knife has seen a lot of use and he hasn't asked to have it sharpened yet (and I checked with him last week). I highly recommend the PS60.
I've had a similar experience with gifting one to my cousin. Just bought a 210 for my gal.