Masutani Santuko VG10 or VG1? Or Kanehide PS60?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
suthersm

Masutani Santuko VG10 or VG1? Or Kanehide PS60?

Post by suthersm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm

-Home cook
-Santuko
-165-180mm
-$70-100
-Stainless
-Handle doesn't matter
-Fair/Good knife skills
-Chop and pushcut
-Don't know how to sharpen yet

Looking for a reasonably priced Santuko and both these are highly recommended. Any reason I'd choose VG1 or VG10 steel?

I should say I was also eyeing the Kanehide PS60 Santuko tho its a bit more money.

Thanks

Scott

lsboogy

Re: Masutani Santuko VG10 or VG1? Or Kanehide PS60?

Post by lsboogy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:30 pm

All three look like they would meet your wants. VG1 steel is generally a less "chippy" steel (bad technique, board materials, frozen stuff and bones can chip edges) than VG10, but the heat treat on the VG10 knife is pretty low (HRC 60 versus a Shun at about 63) so it should help limit chipping. The VG10 knife is also "Damascus" clad, very pretty and shows well. The VG1 knife is also showy, with a nice hammered finish. I think these are almost interchangeable except for the cosmetics, and would serve you quite well for many years, especially if you can learn to sharpen or find someone who does it locally. Either knife will take and hold a better edge than almost any German knife as well.

The Kanehide is steered more towards knife users who want performance and are not as concerned with the visuals. But that said, there is something to pulling out a visually stunning knife and using it - alone or with lots of guests - great street cred with those not into chef skills (most everyone will think it's the coolest knife they have ever seen - any of the three, but the Damascus is always a big hit). Any way you go you will have a great time and a very nice knife. Probably start down the rabbit hole with the rest of us, but you will never be disappointed with any of these

suthersm

Post by suthersm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 pm

That's really, really helpful.

I am chip averse and not necessarily looking for visual appeal. In that case, maybe I'd be better off with the VG1 or the PS60? PS60 if performance is more important than visuals?

Thanks a ton!

Scott

MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:19 pm

I bought my wife the PS60 santoku and I have the 240 myself. She loves it. I have no experience with the others sorry.

I do think the PS60's are great all around knives. When I go to my in-laws for the holidays and want to bring one solid, do all knife with me that I'm not terribly worried about, I grab my PS60 every time as it can handle most things generally well (except abusive tasks, I use their crappy knives for that, ha!). Coming from a guy with over 20 other gyutos and most that are worth 2-4 times the PS60, ha, means it performs well for it's price point! Strops well and is easy to sharpen when needed too. Great jack of all trades and low maintenance line of knives.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 am

lsboogy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:30 pm
All three look like they would meet your wants. VG1 steel is generally a less "chippy" steel (bad technique, board materials, frozen stuff and bones can chip edges) than VG10, but the heat treat on the VG10 knife is pretty low (HRC 60 versus a Shun at about 63) so it should help limit chipping. The VG10 knife is also "Damascus" clad, very pretty and shows well. The VG1 knife is also showy, with a nice hammered finish. I think these are almost interchangeable except for the cosmetics, and would serve you quite well for many years, especially if you can learn to sharpen or find someone who does it locally. Either knife will take and hold a better edge than almost any German knife as well.

The Kanehide is steered more towards knife users who want performance and are not as concerned with the visuals. But that said, there is something to pulling out a visually stunning knife and using it - alone or with lots of guests - great street cred with those not into chef skills (most everyone will think it's the coolest knife they have ever seen - any of the three, but the Damascus is always a big hit). Any way you go you will have a great time and a very nice knife. Probably start down the rabbit hole with the rest of us, but you will never be disappointed with any of these
You put it so well :)
Yes, the aesthetics seem to be the defining factor, and yes, you will probably continue the journey from there ;)
My wife uses the VG1, and she loves everything about it - its size, performance, and looks - and so do I. I grab just as often as I grab any of my larger gyutos.

suthersm

Post by suthersm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks for the advice. I ended up with the VG1 knife — I haven’t used the steel before and I think it sound like an amazing value knife.

stevem627

Post by stevem627 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:51 am

I own two Masutani knives. i have the Nakiri and the other is the 170 santoku. My only regret is they dont have a full sized Gyuto available. For the money there is little out there to compare with the value these are. They are sharp enough for easy use out of the box...I just stropped them and used them.

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm

stevem627 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:51 am
I own two Masutani knives. i have the Nakiri and the other is the 170 santoku. My only regret is they dont have a full sized Gyuto available. For the money there is little out there to compare with the value these are. They are sharp enough for easy use out of the box...I just stropped them and used them.
+1

Edit: I sharpen ours to a 2k finish, and let it be. I used to take it to 6k, but the refined edge is lost too quickly with my beloved's technique

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 pm

suthersm wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am
Thanks for the advice. I ended up with the VG1 knife — I haven’t used the steel before and I think it sound like an amazing value knife.
It will be a very good cutter. Welcome to the rabbit hole - nothing better than having a great knife when prepping food