Can any one recommend a Usuba please? But....

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Rosario

Can any one recommend a Usuba please? But....

Post by Rosario » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 am

Hi all,
After about 8 years I've recently majorly upgraded my only knife which was made here in England and was a western style santouku made by Richardson Sheffield and cost around £50. Was made out of steel (cro-mo v15).

I've bought a Takeda Nakiri and am totally blown away. I feel like I've wasted the last 8 years using my old knife!

Anyway, I've got the bug and am looking for a Usuba (I know that it is similar in function to what I have already). One issue I have is that I'm specifically looking for one without a buffalo horn bolster - I've looked at loads of sites - can't find one. Care will not be a big issue - as I've learned to sharpen reasonably well I'd say using stones on my old knife and I will wipe down after.
I'm vegan so no buffalo horns is kind of a deal breaker.
I'm not a professional but a keen hope chef who cooks alot - from scratch every evening and twice a day when I'm not working.
Hope you guys can help please.

Thanks

ken123

Re: Can any one recommend a Usuba please? But....

Post by ken123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Well I do have my biases :) I do have a Nubatama Usuba in black steel. But before going into this a few warnings: (FWIW I doubt you would want the Nubatama Usuba).

A nakiri and an usuba are very different knives - not interchangeable. The nakiri is general purpose, the usuba is ideally suited for specialized vegetable cutting tasks, especially suited to Kaiseki chefs.

As far as handles go, there are several handlemakers on this forum who could provide you with exactly what you want.

---
Ken

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 pm

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshus18.html

White steel with wood and resin handle.

You could also have mark take the handle off of any other one and get a custom handle installed, or you could send it to one of the handle makers in the bottom section of the board index and get the handle of your choice installed

Rosario

Post by Rosario » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks for replying.
Ken - yes, the one you have is well out of price range and thanks for the heads up on the difference between it and the Nakari. I want to develop my skills for interest / hobby so learning the Usuba will be part of this.
Isboogy - i saw that one after i initally posted. Thanks. I was looking for the Kamasaka shape. But changing the handle didn’t occur to me. Good idea. Seems obvious now you’ve said it. This is probably the way to go.