~ 150mm Petty

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
huelsdonk

~ 150mm Petty

Post by huelsdonk »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Petty

3) What size knife do you want?
Around 150mm. A little shorter is fine, but I'd like to stick in the 5-6 inch range.

4)How much do you want to spend?
Not much more than $200 on this one. I'd rather be closer to $150.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
I would prefer stainless for this knife, but stainless clad could work too.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Do not care

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
A few favorites: Masakage Koishi 240 gyuto, Martell 240 gyuto, Takeda Medium Gyuto, Kikuichi 210 Swedish Warikomi, Masakage Yuki Nakiri, Takamura R2 Santoku...

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Pretty decent for a home cook.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Depends on knife and ingredient. Probably push/pull if I had to pick one.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
I do. Not excellent at it by any means, but I get and keep my knives sharp.

Hi folks. This is my first post on the forum (although I've spent more time than I would like to admit at CKTG). I'm looking for a petty/utility knife that'll get used for a lot of little stuff around the kitchen. I would definitely prefer more of a laser profile on this one. I love my Takamura Santoku, so their 150mm R2 petty is an obvious choice. I'm sure I'd be happy with it but thought I'd see if there are some other options that I ought to be considering.

Thanks a bunch,
John
- John
dc2123

Re: ~ 150mm Petty

Post by dc2123 »

Any interest in a takayuki 150 vg-10 damascus petty?
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

I would normally recommend getting knives from different smiths as this is what fascinates me about J knives. However the Takamura R2 petty is awesome. So sharp, holds the edge well and can be used for a multitude of tasks. I love mine!
Quantim0

Post by Quantim0 »

I’m really happy with my Konosuke gs+ petty. It’s not really a true laser but it’s definitely thin and works great for everything I have used it for.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Quantim0 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm I’m really happy with my Konosuke gs+ petty. It’s not really a true laser but it’s definitely thin and works great for everything I have used it for.
Haha what makes it not a "true" laser?
Quantim0

Post by Quantim0 »

Mowgface wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Quantim0 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm I’m really happy with my Konosuke gs+ petty. It’s not really a true laser but it’s definitely thin and works great for everything I have used it for.
Haha what makes it not a "true" laser?
In my opinion it just doesn’t have that super thin behind the edge feeling that a laser would. Using it after my Kono hd2 the difference is apparent. But compared to my other Petty's it's certainly thin.
huelsdonk

Post by huelsdonk »

Thanks much for the replies, everyone!
arthurfowler wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm I would normally recommend getting knives from different smiths as this is what fascinates me about J knives. However the Takamura R2 petty is awesome. So sharp, holds the edge well and can be used for a multitude of tasks. I love mine!
I totally agree about trying out different smiths' work. Even if I really like a knife I usually try something new for the next one. That said, I REALLY like the Takamura that I have, and the petty just looks like such a good performer.
I've been eyeing that knife as well and was curious what folks thought of it (I've yet to go down the Kono rabbit hole). It's good to hear that you've had good luck with yours. Much appreciated.
- John
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I have a few but the one I use the most is the Konosuke GS - it is semi-stainless and retains an edge quite well.
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

Hi Huelsdonk, i agree with trying different makers (just for fun).

When it comes to the 150 petties i find that there´s is a lesser gap in performance between them (compared to the longer knives like gyutos).
Its worth figuring out if you prefer a lower more nimble petty (for more in-hand finesse work) or a taller one (better for board work). Lasers are mostly lower.

Regarding the recommendations (<150$ range):
Takamuras are great as you know. Thin thin ;)
The konosuke gs is an extremely light almost whispy blade (i find it too light, but i pref. a petty with a bit of mass to it).
Kohetsu would prob. be an alternative to this (as-hap40) or the makoto sg2 (not 150mm)

Not lasers:
Gihei b2 is a great choice for a taller petty. This will give you more power for boardwork (mini santoku style blade). Excellent value.

Since your like the classic knives, maybe a Kanehiro (a bit over budget) might also be worth a look at one time (esp. if you´r the "buy once" kind of guy)...
Among the high end laser petties would be the shibata petty (i owned the 150 but find i actually like more solid feeling petties).
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Not a fan of Wa handles on a small petty. I prefer the in hand feel of a western handle for small blades. I LOVE my TF Maboroshi Ku 120 petty and use it more than I thought. Great W#1 HT, stainless cladding and very stiff for a thin blade. I use it to cut a lot of citrus fruit and the acid can play havoc with reactive cladding. Its priced right in the middle of your range at $175 shipped from Japan. The 150 is $197.
dam0w

Post by dam0w »

i dont use a petty but i see you use the kikuichi sweedish gyoto, which is my favorite knife for sure, i also have a takeda but something about the kikuichi is exactly what i look for in a knife
always follow your nose
dam0w

Post by dam0w »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadape15.html

after posting this comment i found they make the same blade in the profile your looking for
always follow your nose
huelsdonk

Post by huelsdonk »

Thank you again, everyone, for the recommendations. Apologies for not posting sooner - I hadn't checked in here for a little while. I have a good deal of whittling (no pun intended) down to do.

I'm looking more for a laser-is utility profile for this one, but that Gihei looks really sweet for the money. I hadn't looked at those at all before. I don't even mind the big handle as I have fairly large paws. I can see that knife getting a lot of use in the kitchen for quick stuff - that may be the purchase after next :)...

The Kanehiro looks really, really nice. That's going to be in the running as well, I think.

I will give the Maboroshi a good look as well. That's another one that hadn't been on my radar.

I hadn't really been thinking about getting another Kikuichi, but I had my gyuto out a couple days ago and was talking my wife's ear off about how great that knife is. The 150 looks fantastic.

Since posting, I've also been drooling over a Kurosaki Fujin 150. I don't have any of Yu's knives yet but fully intend to get one, and the Fujin line is just so cool looking.

Thanks again,
John
- John