Konosuke MM Gyuto - ginsan or blue #2?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
jbart65

Re: Konosuke MM Gyuto - ginsan or blue #2?

Post by jbart65 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm

My Kono ginsan was flatter than my Kanehiro, Dan, and it could not match it as an all-rounder. The Kanehiro is one of the best all-rounders I've used. The Kanehiro rocks better on herbs, though my Kono ginsan was not so flat it couldn't do light duty as a rocker.

The Kono MM seems to be a bit rounder than the older Kono ginsan. I'd gather it performs better an easycare all-rounder.

UPDATE:

Dan was asking about my since-sold Tanaka ginsan.

The Tanaka is a very good all-rounder. Not quite as good as the Kanehiro, but not far behind. The Tanaka is a touch flatter at the back with a more gradual curve. It's a bit shorter, too, at just over 50 mm.

The Tanaka got sharper and sharpened more easily.

The Kanehiro feels more refined and gives the sense of being the complete package. Hence the higher price tag. But on sheer performance alone, the edge goes to the Tanaka.

The Takayuki Damascus is the best ginsan I have used, but each knife can vary a lot. The 210 I used was stupendous, maybe the best knife I ever used. The 240 I bought was heavier than listed and not quite as nimble as I would have liked. Gorgeous and a high performer, but not ideally suited to my needs.

The Sukenari ginsan no longer sold on CKTG was much like the Kanehiro's younger step brother, an excellent all-rounder that checked all the boxes. But more of a utilitarian knife.

I was especially fond of my Saji ginsan and might buy another. The profile is similar to other Takefu Village knives made by Anryu and Kurosaki. Excels as a push cutter, has a middleweight's body and is arguably more refined than the Kanehiro (which I call refined rustic). Can take a most carbon-like edge - I brought the angle down to around 10 degrees and the knife still retained its robustness.

I am highly interested in the new Harukaze ginsan selling for just ... $130. Profile looks pretty darned good.
Jeffry B

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm

All in all, seems like one can hardly go wrong with any of them.
Choose your finish, or your profile, or your handle, or your price, and be happy :D

salemj

Post by salemj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:01 pm

ronnie_suburban wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Altadan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes. For me, this is one of the main reasons why I'm drawn to these knives.
Well,
you've had a rather large response from people who've handled or owned both.
Any thoughts as to where you lean?
Some really good points were made in both directions. In the end, there were three main factors pushed me toward the B2 on this purchase:

1) I have a number of stainless blades that I already tend to use on small jobs in my home kitchen, precisely because I don't have to worry about cleaning and drying them after 75 seconds of use. But this point, made above by Cutuu, was an 'a-ha' moment because I'd never really analyzed why I reach for those blades in those situations.
2) My friend has some ginsan blades and offered to lend them to me for testing out, so I'll get some good chances on that steel before I need to commit.
3) I have a second kitchen that I need to buy for (office lunchroom setting), so I will use the B2 at home for a while and if I like it as much as I expect I will, I'll almost certainly buy the ginsan for my office, where it will be more suitable for the environment (and where sharpening won't be as nearly convenient).

Thanks again, for all the input. Hopefully, others may also find it helpful going forward.
Sounds like a good decision. I often tell myself that if I could own all stainless knives and still experience the variety of my current collection, I would...but my collection is still mostly carbon and semi-stainless, and I still gravitate toward those knives given that chemistry is inevitable and there is not yet a solution to the chromium problem that I know of. My B2 MM surprises me every time I use it. I have one of the early tall ones, which is an ironic blessing given that I am often the one looking for more traditional Sakai profiles (which, for a 230mm blade, would me closer to 46-8mm, not 50). But the knife is so thin with such a tall grind that I can imagine using it aggressively for decades and enjoying the sense of "heirloom" that emerges as the carbon continues to age and the knife begins to take the profile shape of my sharpening strokes. Then again, who knows—I've learned that I probably won't keep many of my knives that long, so I try not to romanticize too much!

There is a certain magic to carbon, especially with a good treatment. The MM certainly has a (very) good treatment.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.