Shun Blue vs. Dual Core

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ro_barnes

Shun Blue vs. Dual Core

Post by ro_barnes »

Before you tell me not to buy a Shun here's the deal. I sent Shun an old knife that needed to be repaired (lifetime warranty) but it was, in their opinion, unfixable and from a discontinued series (Reserve). So they sent me a credit to basically replace it with any one of their other knives. So I'm just trying to decide between the Blue line and the Dual Core line. Price makes no difference because they're both free. I'm looking at the 10" Kirtisukes (which are really more like Kirtisuke-shaped Gyutos since they're double beveled). I'm leaning towards the Blue just because I haven't been that impressed with Shun's "super steels" (hence the warranty return) but since they're free, part of me wants to get the shiny, fancy dual core one. Has anyone got any practical experience with these two and can compare the performance of the two steels?
Bob Z

Re: Shun Blue vs. Dual Core

Post by Bob Z »

Tough choice! I have ogled the dual core and idea makes sense. I would love to try one but I ended up with a blue Honesuki which i like alot. I think the blue may give you longer edge retention vs vg-10. One other point to consider is that the blue will patina while the dual core is all stainless. Let us know which you get.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Personally, I would go with blue over dual core (vg10/vg2) just for the sake of carbon over Stainless.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I guess before I answer... what could have possibly happened to cause you previous knife to be un-repairable?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I've got a couple of Blue Shuns that take and hold pretty darn good edges, much better knives than my other Shuns (NSF VG10 and VG MAX). Unless you need NSF knives (many commercial kitchens require them, especially shelter kitchens) get the blue stuff - steel is leaps and bounds better. I like my garatsuke very much for butchering lamb and other red meats.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I personally would much rather have their Blue over their VG10.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I love their work with blue.
Own two of them go for the blue you'll enjoy it.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Haven't used the dual core, but I would also go for the blue. Their blue line is now discontinued and it was one of their very best.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
CaptainRon23

Post by CaptainRon23 »

salemj wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:26 pm Haven't used the dual core, but I would also go for the blue. Their blue line is now discontinued and it was one of their very best.
I know this is a thread about Blue vs. Dual Core Shun but, has anyone tried the Kanso line by Shun. I picked it up on sale.

I think it was marked wrong but, anyway I tried it on potatoes and some onions and wasn't really impressed with it. I thought the food release was really bad. Thought it was the potato but I tried a different knife (Tanaka) and it was a huge difference.

Are Shun knives like this or does it depend on the line?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

CaptainRon23 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:37 am
salemj wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:26 pm Haven't used the dual core, but I would also go for the blue. Their blue line is now discontinued and it was one of their very best.
I know this is a thread about Blue vs. Dual Core Shun but, has anyone tried the Kanso line by Shun. I picked it up on sale.

I think it was marked wrong but, anyway I tried it on potatoes and some onions and wasn't really impressed with it. I thought the food release was really bad. Thought it was the potato but I tried a different knife (Tanaka) and it was a huge difference.

When it comes to japanese knives, shuns are meh imo. Their premiere and reserve are pretty nice, but for the price there are others I'd pick. The kanso definitely seems underwhelming.
CaptainRon23

Post by CaptainRon23 »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:42 pm
CaptainRon23 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:37 am

When it comes to japanese knives, shuns are meh imo. Their premiere and reserve are pretty nice, but for the price there are others I'd pick. The kanso definitely seems underwhelming.
Thank you. I bought a Miyabi Artisan SG2 and Tanaka from the classifieds a while ago and I thought they were both excellent. I was hoping the Kanso would be similar but I could tell right away.

I wanted to try to Kanso based on the price and slightly different profile than what I currently have. I liked the way the handle looked since I don't have anything liket it.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I used to work with a guy who had an 8 in kanso. I liked it a lot as a line knife but it wouldn’t be my first choice as a prep knife. Durable steel got sharp enough at middle refinement, comfortable, utilitarian handle, profile wasn’t for me but when they go on sale are a decent deal. I’d take one over the classic line to be perfectly honest.