Matsubara blue 2 stainless clad thoughts

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
LucaBrasi

Matsubara blue 2 stainless clad thoughts

Post by LucaBrasi »

Hey all,

I’ve been away from buying kitchen knives for a couple years now, so I am feeling a touch out of the game. I’ve come to realize over the years my favorite knives seem to be 240 gyutos with a good bit of height and stiffness with a flat profile. The knife I reach for most often is a Masashi Kobo 240, and my unquestioned favorite cutter is my Watanabe 240. That one stays out of my hand a bit because of it’s pretty extreme reactivity but is generally speaking my ideal knife. If I could get one stainless clad without having to donate a kidney that would probably be the end of my search...

Alas, I cannot. When I was last active here I feel like the white steel Matsubaras had just been introduced. Now there are these very tall, stainless clad blue steel versions. I tried to do a search to get some info but came up short. If this has been beaten to death and I missed it I apologize.

What is this knife like? I see that it’s tall, and the choil shot looks somewhat thin but it’s hard to tell. Is this one a big bruising knife that cuts on its own or is it flexy and waif thin, ala Takeda. Just wondering if there’s anyone out there with experience. Is it comparable to Watanabe/Toyama? Am i way off? Thanks for anything you can share.
nakneker

Re: Matsubara blue 2 stainless clad thoughts

Post by nakneker »

Hi Luca.

I’m gonna copy a link to the knife in question, the one in the link has a custom handle, looks like the standard 240 is out of stock. I’ve owned the Matsubara 240 seen here and the tall Nakiri, both were outstanding performers and fit the description of what your looking for. One I thing like personally about this line is the hand made look, they have a more rustic look than others, at,east to me they do. I’ll paste the description Mark included on the knife because it describes my own feelings about the knife very well. Sounds like your looking at a knife that you would enjoy.

“Tanaka-San uses the very popular Aogami 2 steel as his core component. He hardens the steel to a Rockwell rating of 62HRC. This is a sweet spot for Blue #2. He then forge welds a layer of soft stainless steel to the core (hagane) using a technique known as san mai. This involves covering both sides of the blade without wrapping the outer layer (jigane) over the spine. The hagane thus shows through at the edge and on top of the spine. These knives must be kept clean and dry to avoid corrosion to the exposed hagane. The jigane then receives a really lovely nashiji, or pear skin, finish.

The Matsubara Blue #2 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm has a profile that is quite flat at the heel end and then transitions into a nice curved belly about halfway along the edge. Blade height is very generous for a 240mm gyuto. This is a robust blade in size and weight which will find favor with users looking for a knife that feels solid and stiff. The heft and strength are confidence inspiring. It comes with a very nice custom octagonal handle.”

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mabl2nagy24c.html

That choil shot is begging for a prep session.
Last edited by nakneker on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have the 210 version of this knife. Very tall for a 210, and an absolute cutting machine. Food release is excellent, and it takes and holds a screaming edge. If you want a tall knife, these are very good ones.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Hi Luca.
Welcome back!
LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

Thanks guys. It sounds and looks like it’s for me. I’ve burned through a lot of awesome stuff over the years and am down to only 4 gyutos. The other two are a Kochi stainless clad white 2 and a 270 Konosuke ginsan wide bevel. Just never heard much about Matsubara, and not sure I’m ready to resume the falling in the rabbit hole.

Appreciate the feedback.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

LucaBrasi wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:37 pm Thanks guys. It sounds and looks like it’s for me. I’ve burned through a lot of awesome stuff over the years and am down to only 4 gyutos. The other two are a Kochi stainless clad white 2 and a 270 Konosuke ginsan wide bevel. Just never heard much about Matsubara, and not sure I’m ready to resume the falling in the rabbit hole.

Appreciate the feedback.
270 Kono Ginsan Wide bevel. The stuff legend!
I am a huge Matsubara fan too, although I only have a couple of the Shirogami/iron blades. They are absolutely stout as all get go, very Toyama-esque.
Careful where you tread!
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Take a look at the Gihei blue #2.
LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

I considered the Gihei once upon a time and dismissed it. Don’t remember exactly why. The grind on the Matsubara calls to me though, especially with the listed weight and spine thickness.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've used a Matsubara tall nakiri and 210 B#2 gyuto on passaround and owned a 240 gyuto for awhile. I only sold mine because it was a a touch too heavy for my liking. If I can get one that's a bit lighter with a stock handle I am likely to pick up another.

By and large, I find Matsubaras to have excellent if funky grinds. The blades are tall and the height adds to the weight, but the grinds themselves tend to be on the thinner side. They don't have the classic convexing of a Sekiso. They do cut very well and thin out rapidly near the tip, making them surprisingly good for delicate work.

The gyutos are flat toward the back and curve up quickly toward the front. As such they can chop and rock well. The steel is heat treated well.

Downsides? These can be relatively heavy knives. The blades have some imperfections. The profile might not work for everyone.'

Personally I prefer the Matsubara to the Gihei, but I can't argue that one is clearly better than the other. The Gihei is a bit more polished, with a more traditional and cohesive profile. I did find Matsubara easier to sharpen.
Jeffry B
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

You guys are far too nice. I love my tall nakiri, but let's be honest, the gyuto is a tank. It looks like a tank it feels like a tank and it cuts like a tank. That being said, if you really want to try it out I have a no handled that I have a couple of hours of sitting on that I'd be happy to sell you on the cheap.
LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

Thanks, good info. I can’t believe it but I just had to google sekiso to understand the reference to Tanaka’s grind.

I like the idea of the weight combined with thinness behind the edge. All depends on the consistency of the grind I suppose. When the unmodified ones come back in I may pull the trigger. There are many factors that seem like it would appeal to me.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 am You guys are far too nice. I love my tall nakiri, but let's be honest, the gyuto is a tank. It looks like a tank it feels like a tank and it cuts like a tank. That being said, if you really want to try it out I have a no handled that I have a couple of hours of sitting on that I'd be happy to sell you on the cheap.
I am not being far too nice, Matt. As you are well aware, these knives can differ quite markedly in the same line. Both the 210 and 240 gyutos I used were excellent cutters. Neither cut like a tank. The 210 with stock handle I used on a passaround was actually much lighter than the 240 on a relative basis. It only weighed 6 ounces.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4463&start=20

I know you are not happy with your gyuto, but my experience was different. What does it mean? The Matsubaras have definitely shown more variance relative to other knife makers. Which is why i haven''t bought another yet. I want to be certain I am getting a lighter one if I pick up a 240. The ones with the custom handles are too heavy for me.
Jeffry B