Comparing 2 210 gyutos

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
katie.k

Comparing 2 210 gyutos

Post by katie.k »

Hi! Has anyone compared the Takamura Chromax 210mm Gyotu with the Harukaze Aogami Supersteel Western 210mm Gyuto? Both are beautiful. I'm looking for my first carbon steel knife. I'm wondering how these steels compare and whether the price difference makes the Haruzake worth it in comparison. Thanks!
Altadan

Re: Comparing 2 210 gyutos

Post by Altadan »

Hello Katie,

Both are beautiful indeed.
I haven't used either, though the Takamura has been a smash hit with many forum members (and their extended families!).
You should know that the Chromax steel, though "semi" stainless, is practically stainless (it contains Chromium), while the Harukaze has an Aogami Super core (clad with a stainless steel jacket), and that core is reactive, meaning, it will discolor with use, and may even rust if not properly cared for.

Both knives will take a screaming edge that will not disappoint, but technically speaking, the Aogami Super is able (with skill) to take on a finer edge, and retain it for longer than the chromax.
Hope this helps
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Very simply, they are both very good knives but the Harukaze is the better knife with better steel and worth the extra cost.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm Very simply, they are both very good knives but the Harukaze is the better knife with better steel and worth the extra cost.
Hahaha :) Love the simplicity!

Also, it's got a very wicked looking cladding line, that will only enhance the beauty of that already beautiful knife.
Show us some pictures of whatever you choose, k?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
katie.k

Post by katie.k »

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm still thinking about the Harukaze, but kind of went back to the drawing board after looking at wa handled gyutos, which I originally was less interested in. I might just need to make an actual knife recommendation post. There's too many options!
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

It took me a while to get comfortable with wa handles, but as the selection with wa handles is much wider, I eventually made the transition to indifference...

I suspect most people would also do so after spending a few months with a wa handle. To that end, maybe start off with a cheaper knife to become accustomed and see if it will work for you. I started with a Tojiro yanagiba as I also wanted to experiment with sashimi.

However, for very fine work with a petty, I still prefer western handles. I like to use a hammer grip (actually half way between a hammer and a pinch grip if that makes sense) with smaller knives. On such small knives, I find the wa handles disproportionately large.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Katie & welcome to the forum. Just a couple of comments from me.

Wa vs Western. From the general comments that people make on the forum, I think most of us have made the transition to include Wa handled knives at some stage pretty easily & this reflects my experience. One or two things to note though;

(i) if you have effectively the same blade but made with both Wa & western handle options, the western knife will generally have it's balance point further back than the Wa handled knife.

(ii) some Wa handles are "handed", which means they are shaped for a left-handed person, a right-handed person or ambidextrous. Ambidextrous are shaped as oval, octagonal etc and the handed ones are "D" shaped etc to suit either a LH person or separately a RH person. Generally for these handed shapes, there are many more choices for right handers than left. Having said that many LH forumites report that they can use a lot of the RH shaped handles without any drama.

So certainly don't be put off or intimidated by wanting to try an Wa.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!