Looking for Workhorse Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
gluttonouspanda

Looking for Workhorse Gyuto

Post by gluttonouspanda »

I am looking for recommendations for a workhorse gyuto with some weight or blade forward. This knife will be used at a juice/salad bar processing several bags of fruits and veggies. Lots of carrots and apples. I am looking at:

Gihei Blue #2 Gyuto 240mm
Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 240mm
Kanehiro AS Gyuto 240mm New Version
Itto-Ryu White #2 Gyuto 240mm ( worried about edge retention)
Kohetsu Shinano Blue #2 Bunka 210mm

I really like the way blue steel feels plus the edge retention. Although I can get white #2 hair popping sharp onn stones with ease. However I don’t want to strop on stones in between bags of 50lb jumbo carrots and apples. BTW for my use only and not sharing with prep cooks without supervision. Thanks!

1)Pro or home cook?
Semi-Pro (restauranteur that helps with with prep on somedays)
2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto or Bunka
3) What size knife do you want?
240 or 210 for Bunka
4)How much do you want to spend?
under $300
5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless clad over carbon steel, I really enjoy blue steel
6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Either but lean slight toward Japanese
7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Current: Makoto AS Ryusei Gyuto 210mm as my middleweight daily driver which I love, Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm as my laser, Itto-Ryu Hammered White #2 Gyuto 240mm, Itto-Ryu Hammered White #2 Petty 120mm, Goko White #1 Nakiri 165mm, Shibata Kotetsu R-2 Sujihiki 270mm, CCK small Clever

Past: I have used Kohetsu Blue #2 gyuto 210mm, Takeda Classic Banno Petit 145mm

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Very Good
9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Mostly push/pull cutter then some chopping
10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes
Nmiller21k

Re: Looking for Workhorse Gyuto

Post by Nmiller21k »

Get the Anryu and don't look back.
Slays on dense veg and his heat treat is superb.
J david

Post by J david »

I've used or owned all those except for the Kohetsu. I think you would be well served with the middle three (Anryu, Kanehiro, and Itto-Ryu). In my experience, all three will glide through carrots. The Gihei, while being a prep beast, will probably crack those carrots rather than slice them. Itto-Ryu, might be the thinnest behind the edge and edge retention has always been good enough for me with this maker, but if retention is the priority, look to the Anryu or the Kanehiro.

Again, no experience with the Kohetsu.
gluttonouspanda

Post by gluttonouspanda »

J david wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:40 pm I've used or owned all those except for the Kohetsu. I think you would be well served with the middle three (Anryu, Kanehiro, and Itto-Ryu). In my experience, all three will glide through carrots. The Gihei, while being a prep beast, will probably crack those carrots rather than slice them. Itto-Ryu, might be the thinnest behind the edge and edge retention has always been good enough for me with this maker, but if retention is the priority, look to the Anryu or the Kanehiro.

Again, no experience with the Kohetsu.
Just curious, your thoughts of the Itto-Ryu felt in hand. It has quite a bit hefty at 8 oz. I actually prefer heavier knives because of the stiffness. I love how sharp I can get the hammered 240. Been thinking replace it with the Kurouchi finish 240. Also thank you for warning about cracking the carrots.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I would select this one for you. Kosuke and I came up with this using a single blacksmith in Sanjo. It would make a great workhorse. Check the nice looking choil shot.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh2kunagy2.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Ditto on Mark's Yahiko Sanjo W#2 recommendation. Those are some of my favorite knives right now - excellent performers with some decent stiffness. These are all reactive blades if that makes a difference to you. The other caveat on these is the edge retention compared to Aogami #2 or AS. It sounds like edge retention is a pretty big consideration in your situation.

You really couldn't go wrong with the Kanehiro AS 240 either. I was very close to keeping that one after doing the videos, but it was a VERY sweet knife. Better edge retention than the Yahiko Sanjo and stainless cladding for easier maintenance. They have almost legendary status around CKTG for good reason. They are excellent high volume prep knives, but they have some finesse to them as well.

Nick is also spot on about the Anryu B#2 Hammered - there is just something about the knives in this line that work really well on dense product.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

SteveG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:22 pm Ditto on Mark's Yahiko Sanjo W#2 recommendation. Those are some of my favorite knives right now - excellent performers with some decent stiffness. These are all reactive blades if that makes a difference to you. The other caveat on these is the edge retention compared to Aogami #2 or AS. It sounds like edge retention is a pretty big consideration in your situation.

You really couldn't go wrong with the Kanehiro AS 240 either. I was very close to keeping that one after doing the videos, but it was a VERY sweet knife. Better edge retention than the Yahiko Sanjo and stainless cladding for easier maintenance. They have almost legendary status around CKTG for good reason. They are excellent high volume prep knives, but they have some finesse to them as well.

Nick is also spot on about the Anryu B#2 Hammered - there is just something about the knives in this line that work really well on dense product.
SteveG back in town! :ugeek: :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
zadman

Post by zadman »

Kanehiros are work horse worthy for sure, haven’t tried the new version.