R2 or AS: Yu Kurosaki?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Chocu1a

R2 or AS: Yu Kurosaki?

Post by Chocu1a »

I am looking at picking up a Kurosaki 210mm gyuto. I have narrowed it down to these 2 steels. R2 Shizuku or AS Fujin. I don't own any blades in R2, but really, really love the look of the Fujin. Which would you recommend? I understand that the AS will be much easier to sharpen, but read that R2 will hold it's edge longer? Stainless vs reactive is a non-issue.
Help me spend some money!!!!!!!
Jeff B

Re: R2 or AS: Yu Kurosaki?

Post by Jeff B »

Chocu1a wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 am I am looking at picking up a Kurosaki 210mm gyuto. I have narrowed it down to these 2 steels. R2 Shizuku or AS Fujin. I don't own any blades in R2, but really, really love the look of the Fujin. Which would you recommend? I understand that the AS will be much easier to sharpen, but read that R2 will hold it's edge longer? Stainless vs reactive is a non-issue.
Help me spend some money!!!!!!!
I would not worry about steel flavor in this choice. Both are great steels and neither is that much harder to sharpen than the other. I would buy solely on your preference of which knife seems to turn you on more. They are both great knives that you will love.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I agree with Jeff & I've just posted the thoughts below elsewhere.

I have a Shibata 180 bunka and a Shibata Kashima 240 gyuto both in R2.

I find R2 is a very easy PM steel to sharpen (similar to say AEBL / 13C26), it takes a great edge and holds onto it for a long time. Shibata does a very good rendition of his R2 in terms of heat treatment, tempering etc. I would normally sharpen this steel at say 13 dps, but found that they cam from Shibata at 9.5 dps and easily held that in my home environment. So I think that it's a great, no fuss knife steel
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Thank you guys. I went ahead & snagged the R2 shizuku. Maybe later I'll get a fujin. I have 3 AS knives right now & want to give some R2 a try.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chocu1a wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm Thank you guys. I went ahead & snagged the R2 shizuku. Maybe later I'll get a fujin. I have 3 AS knives right now & want to give some R2 a try.
I think that was a great choice since you already have other AS knives. It's good to try and have a variety of steels. I think you'll really like the R2.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.