Replacement/upgrade for damaged santoku

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
mhughes@mhughes.org

Replacement/upgrade for damaged santoku

Post by mhughes@mhughes.org »

As some may have seen, I pretty severely damaged one of my favorite knives - a 160 mm santoku my brother gave me (got in Tokyo - he lives there). Over time, I found myself using that knife for most smaller vegetable prep jobs rather than pulling out a full size chef's knife or gyuto. I like the light weight, very agile feel, and want to replace it with something that feels like an upgrade - make me feel better about breaking it in the first place!

Questionnaire below - but happy to provide more detail if it can help narrow things down - all over the map so far... ;)

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Santoku, Bunka, or similar

3) What size knife do you want?
Replacing a light 160 mm santoku - fine with 180, but don't want to get into 210 kind of size.

4)How much do you want to spend?
Not looking for custom / collectible kind of knife, but anything else on the table - in concrete terms $150-$300 is fine, could be stretched if something perfect came up.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless clad first choice, or all stainless

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Long term and currently beater knives are globals I've had for 20+ years - 10 inch chef's knife most significantly. More recently (from this site) Shibata Kotetsu As 240 gyuto. LOVE that knife. I find I only grab that when I have a large prep job. I'm a relatively beginner sharpener, and the long blade is tricky for me. However, when it's time to fill the 2 gallon crock with saurruben or kimchi, it is fantastic!

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
I'd say good for home cook, but that's definitely not pro category.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
For the shorter blade particularly, chop and push /pull, some tip dragging for very light work. No rocking with this knife.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
With an edge pro and shapton stones, I eventually get there... ;) definitely still learning, but committed to doing this myself.

I have of course been digging through options. I have and love a Shibata Kotetsu knife, so the 180 Bunka in R2 or 170 AS Santoku catch my eye - but reviews on both indicate not much of a flat chopping edge, and as a relative newbie to nice Japanese knives, trying something different has an appeal.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback!
Thanks,
--Matt Hughes
slickmamba

Re: Replacement/upgrade for damaged santoku

Post by slickmamba »

I'm a fan of the anryu AS but it seems to be out of stock, lots of santokus look to be out of stock right now on CKTG, unfortunately
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Kurosaki makes very nice knives, and this one seems to fit your bill

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kur2sa16.html
JoeWheels

Post by JoeWheels »

The Konosuke HD Santoku look pretty nice-
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdsa16.html
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

JoeWheels wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 am The Konosuke HD Santoku look pretty nice-
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdsa16.html
It looks as good as it is. A great santoku!
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

My wife uses and loves this one:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yobl2sa16.html

Looks much better in person than photos, great fit and finish, nice handle gets stupid sharp and is extremely fun to use.
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

Hi, are you still looking for a thinner knife (laser style, like the shibata) or something with a more mid-weigh or stout feel ?

The shibata bunka is awesome (mine is ok for chopping btw), but I agree it does make sense to try something new.

Kurosaki kuroichi AS might be worth a look (a little more substantial than the shizuki recommended above, but same maker): https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kramerknives.html
For agile speed chopping and draw cuts i really like the yuki/kanehiro bunka. (out of stock, unfortunately)