Takeda Classic vs Sasanoha

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Drewski

Takeda Classic vs Sasanoha

Post by Drewski »

I have a Takeda 270 AS classic gyuto. Thinking about getting a 240 AS Sasanoha. Does anyone have experience with both? Does the Sasanoha have the same food release characteristics of the classic gyuto style? Cheers 🥂
joanjet

Re: Takeda Classic vs Sasanoha

Post by joanjet »

Woah I have never seen these before. Is this essentially takeda's version of a regular gyuto profile?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

joanjet wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 am Woah I have never seen these before. Is this essentially takeda's version of a regular gyuto profile?
That's my understanding. Here's the link to simplify: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/taassala24gy.html

Besides that, I think my post was made after a few too many, and I got a bit carried away with adding to a small order (already paying for international shipping, so why not throw a bunch more on the order...). I have to be responsible and not get another knife at this point, I think my partner would kill me. However, I would not mind still hearing about comparisons in performance/handling between the classic and Sasanoha profiles if anyone has such experience. Cheers!
salemj

Post by salemj »

I can't compare. But I did own a Sasanoha for a bit. It was an oversized 210 and I did a little write up about it on the forum, I believe.

The food release of the sasanoha was very good and - based on everything I have read and seen - should be as good OR BETTER than the gyuto. My sense in holding (but not using) the gyutos is that the primary difference between the blades is actually the stiffness and stability. These knives are ridiculously thin. They are so thin, in fact, that the added height actually affects the sense of stability in a very real way. A sharp Takeda will go through most food effortlessly when accompanied by a straight, direct technique. However, with just the slightest variations in cutting direction or with some harder ingredients, you will start to feel the flex in the blade. The gyuto would likely have less of this sensation, and the sasanoha, more.

I found the tip, profile, height, and feel of the sasanoha to be exactly as I expected. However, the purchase made me think to myself: "If I really want to experience what a Takeda is like for a knife of this length, I should try a gyuto instead...but I don't want a blade that tall and that rounded on the edge...so I guess I'll just have to miss out on the Takeda magic as a user long-term. Oh well. Plenty of other options."

So, the sasanoha will exactly meet your expectations if you buy it, probably. But if you know, deep down, that it isn't so much about having something gyuto-like as having something Takeda-like, try the gyuto first...maybe.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

salemj wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:47 pm I can't compare. But I did own a Sasanoha for a bit. It was an oversized 210 and I did a little write up about it on the forum, I believe.
Brilliant! Thanks for the insight Joe.