Bunka for professional?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
bobosvald

Bunka for professional?

Post by bobosvald »

Hi , i am looking to get a new knife, i already have a gyuto and i was thinking about a bunka.
I am professional so i am looking for a knife with a longer blade and that i could use for almost every job.
I am not sure if the best would be to upgrade on my gyuto...
-toa-

Re: Bunka for professional?

Post by -toa- »

Hi, well that depends. what length of knife are you looking for, and what do you want it to do that your current knife does not ? It would help to know what you´re using now, lenght, cutting style etc... The questionnaire will help you here, and the feedback will determine if a bunka would fill that need. Note that bunkas are usually short (<180mm) so I´m guessing a gyuto will suit you needs better, but it´hard to know without additional info from your end.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

If its the shape you like, maybe a k-tip gyuto might fit the bill?
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

The k-tip gyuto (double bevel kiritsuke shaped gyuto) is a longer version of the bunka. Note: that this style usually have a low tip (meaning that you´ll not be able to lift the heel of the knife so high, among other thing). Your cutting style will determine if that style of knife will suit you. That being said bunkas are super fun knives ranging from small speed-choppers to those with more power.