MIYABI BLACK 5000MCD67 for $200 is it a good deal?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
winstonli

MIYABI BLACK 5000MCD67 for $200 is it a good deal?

Post by winstonli »

so ZWILLING LA store is doing a buy one get one free ( equal or less value)on all knifes this weekend.
but looking at their website
MIYABI BLACK 5000MCD67 and ZWILLING KRAMER - EUROLINE CARBON COLLECTION 10-INCH CHEF'S KNIFE
are the only two seems interesting to me. anyone think this is a good deal?
Insnekamkze86

Re: MIYABI BLACK 5000MCD67 for $200 is it a good deal?

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Well the miyabi black 8 inch chef knives go for 350 new and the 9.5 inch chef knife goes for 400 brand new on cutleryandmore.com
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

It's only a good deal if you like the knife. if you like it and it suits your cutting style and it's something that you're going to use happily then yeah it's a good deal. if it's something that you're looking at just because it's $150 off normal MSRP then no... There are plenty of knives in the $200 range that are equal to or better than the miyabi.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:14 pm It's only a good deal if you like the knife. if you like it and it suits your cutting style and it's something that you're going to use happily then yeah it's a good deal. if it's something that you're looking at just because it's $150 off normal MSRP then no... There are plenty of knives in the $200 range that are equal to or better than the miyabi.
+1. Those are both good knives. I haven't used either specifically, but they are both respectable lines that are only downplayed because they tend to cost more than other competitive options, and in this case, the sale helps to minimize that. That said, if they are not exactly what you want, you can get knives that perform just as well for the same amount of money as the sale price (or less). And by exactly what you what, that means IN USE. In that price range, if you don't know how the knife feels in the hand and what its cutting performance is, then you probably shouldn't buy it unless you know you can immediately resell it for only a minor loss.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
hawkoath

Post by hawkoath »

No. I feel like the performance of the knife in the title is worse than their Birchwood line and it has a stickiness to it that food tends to cling to and it makes it feel as if the knife doesn't cut through food as well as many other knives. I really feel that line is pretty badly designed or made.
hawkoath

Post by hawkoath »

No to the Kramer carbon as well unless its the perfect knife for you. It's a fairly heavy knife that feels wider than most knives that I feel doesn't really suit push cutters at all. There are better knives like this for the price point. Both immediate resale values for the knives are fairly bad to really really bad when compared to how much you would spend for it. If you haven't tried the knives are not in total love with its a definite no to me. There are much better knives to buy sight unseen.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Go to a Sur La Table they usually let you try the knives and might have the stainless ones, but no carbon.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

These are made in Seki City by a fairly large factory that Henckles bought about 8 years ago. They're pretty good production type knives and in the same ballpark as Shun which is also made in Seki.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
enjay

Post by enjay »

I've tried the Miyabi. It cuts pretty well out of the box and has decent F&F but far too handle-heavy for me; the balance point lies behind the heel, at around the bolster.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

They are good for production knives but you can do better for the price with handmade knives.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Miyabis seem to be decent knives, but you can do much better - even at $200. Poke around a bit - pay attention to you cutting style (rocking, push/pull, chop) - and grind. I'd far rather have a Kohetsu blade than a Miyabi -
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Miyabi is the best of the brands supported by the large knife makers in my view. The Birchwoods are pretty good. But I find them too heavy, not quite as sharp or as thin, and not as good a value of many knives found on CKTG and the like.

The $350 list price for the Miyabi Black before sale is ridiculous anyway. For that money you can get two knives that will blow it away or one knife that will be among the best in the world.
Jeffry B