Partner/family friendly do-it-all petty

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Spyne

Partner/family friendly do-it-all petty

Post by Spyne »

Hey all, I'm looking for a ~150mm petty that can be an (almost) do-it-all knife that I don't have to stress about if my partner, friends, family use it.
I've recently purchased my first japenese knife, a stainless clad aogami super gyuto (210mm) which I am learning to love and care for.
However, being AS core, it does react and thus needs a little attention to keep in good shape. 63HRc also means I would cringe anytime someone else went to use it. Hence my search for a second knife that can be used by everyone else. I've also got a big Mundial chefs knife for any heavy-duty tasks.

The tricky part is what to get that will come under $100AUD (incl any shipping).
Thoughts so far are;
Tojiro DP 15cm utility - easy to get locally <$100AUD, but VG10 so a little prone to chipping in the wrong hands?
Kanetsugu Pro M 15cm petty - AUS-8 and 57HRc so should be easy to sharpen and pretty low maintenance (unlikely to chip, stain, rust)?
Minamoto Hamon 15cm petty - 19C27, so again should sharpen pretty easily and maybe the lowest maintenance of all. Also holds its edge better than AUS-8?
JCK Blue Clouds Kiritsuke 14cm (30% over budget but damn I love the look of it) - AUS-10, so a step up in every way from AUS-8. Less likely to chip than VG10?

1)Pro or home cook? Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Petty/utility

3) What size knife do you want? Around 150mm

4)How much do you want to spend? Less than $100AUD (approx. $70USD)

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Stainless

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Western, only because I've never tried Japanese handles

7)What are your main knife/knives now? 210 gyuto of AS core, stainless clad. Plus some 12yo Mundials which I am slowly replacing/retiring.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Fair. I'm not afraid of sharp knives and am very comfortable cutting all sorts of products.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Whatever the product calls for, but mostly push.

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Have a guided system, much like EP Apex. Considering a Suehiro-Cerax 1000/3000 combo stone.
Carlo

Re: Partner/family friendly do-it-all petty

Post by Carlo »

We have one of these: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mac51utkn.html

It’s my wife’s go-to for jobs that don’t require a chef’s knife (she has decent skills and sense but no patience for being extra careful re knife care and leaves most of my knives alone).

The nice things about this guy are it’s cheap, durable -just soft enough the edge tends to roll, not chip, it gets very sharp and is easily maintained on a ceramic rod, so when I want it for a task I can give it a few passes and it’s good to go. I don’t feel like it needs to see the stones very often, or that a real sharpening session is really all that necessary. I use it a lot for small tasks as well.

The MAC Pro version that’s a step up is probably another good bet and more substantial in hand.
Spyne

Post by Spyne »

Actually looked at this one, but seems to be sold out across the country at the moment. Only $55 too, so would have been a good buy for me.
Did find a "black non-stick" coated one, but that seems a bit gimmicky, plus it was $30 extra.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

Find a tanaka vg10 or ginsan, the cheapest version should be around your budget, they are awesome little knives
Spyne

Post by Spyne »

Igalor wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:12 pm Find a tanaka vg10 or ginsan, the cheapest version should be around your budget, they are awesome little knives
Not even really close, unfortunately. The VG10 petty starts at $143 locally, the Ginsan petty $154.
I've purchased a Minamoto Hamon petty. So 19C27 steel. Should be here soon I hope and will see how it goes.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Nothing on Knives and Stones? I'd give them a look since you are in Australia.
Jeffry B